Chord Electronics Qutest DAC - Official Thread
Sep 17, 2018 at 1:50 AM Post #2,028 of 6,744
Sep 17, 2018 at 3:32 AM Post #2,029 of 6,744
If anyone has HQPlayer, try the new PCM closed-form-M filter.

It's utterly jaw dropping and takes the Qutest to the next level.
Interesting to hear but I though music should be sent direct to the qutest for best audio quality rather than software unsampling (that is the response I received regarding audirvana unsampling)

Sep 17, 2018 at 6:50 AM Post #2,030 of 6,744
Interesting to hear but I though music should be sent direct to the qutest for best audio quality rather than software unsampling (that is the response I received regarding audirvana unsampling)

I'd say give it a try, you can download the free trial software.

I'll definitely be getting the m scaler that matches the Qutest price wise.

Sep 17, 2018 at 8:36 AM Post #2,031 of 6,744
2018-09-17 20.20.22.jpg I am curious to know what is the lowest AC polarity of your Qutest. Mine is AC 77.2V.

https://www.gcaudio.com/tips-tricks/determining-proper-ac-polarity/

Sep 17, 2018 at 9:27 AM Post #2,032 of 6,744
Break in skeptics look away, trigger alert:

So now my Qutest has been in operation close to 48 hours. I listened through it for the first 6 on Saturday - who needs a social life - and then for an hour last night. Then had a chance to spend another hour with it today lunchtime. The three things I didn’t like about it have by now completely shifted away.
I am absolutely certain that this isn’t my ears and brain recalibrating as I m getting used to a new sonic signature. This recalibration definitely occurred in the past as I was getting used to my 800S over a few months to a degree that didn’t allow me to say with certainty if it was me or the headphones burning in.
This time the sonic shifts are night and day differences that occurred through these two days.

So: treble on Saturday eve was almost what I would define as harsh, bright and glary, unforgiving even in more or less decent in that respect material. Last night noticeably less, there was still some digital glare over what sounded like a much more varied tonal palette . This afternoon that glare has given way to a smoothness that was a joy to listen to even in recordings that are usually almost unbearable in that respect.

The somehow in your face mids have relaxed allowing even more musical flow and voices have opened up. This was even more of a relief

Lastly the sense of depth of stage is now there, even more holographic and uncoloured than with Hugo 1.

I can’t stress enough that these are not subtle differences but a definite shift.

Bits may be bits but they really like taps ....

Sep 17, 2018 at 11:24 AM Post #2,033 of 6,744
I am curious to know what is the lowest AC polarity of your Qutest. Mine is AC 77.2V.

https://www.gcaudio.com/tips-tricks/determining-proper-ac-polarity/

4. Connect the common probe of the Multimeter (black lead) to a ground reference point*. I If you have a three-wire grounded receptacles, use the center pin.​

I noticed you are holding the black probe. Interesting article. I have done some of the inside wiring in our house so I know the hot and neutral go back to the panel correctly. Our outlets are Lutron polarized so this will be an interesting experiment.

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2018 at 6:53 PM Post #2,034 of 6,744
I used my Fluke T5-1000 and in orientation I have it in normally 78v. Flipped upside down read 79v

Sep 17, 2018 at 9:42 PM Post #2,035 of 6,744
I used my Fluke T5-1000 and in orientation I have it in normally 78v. Flipped upside down read 79v

Thanks for the follow up! So, the reading was a norm. And, I've forgotten the actual steps. :wink:

I got 78V vs 80V, on the second try. By accident, the Qutest was connected to the lowest reading from day one.

From my experiences, once all the equipment were configured to the lowest readings, the music background became very quiet and peaceful, or darker background, and very coherence.

Anyway, the Qutest was very revealing in my system, it could describe the characteristics of each and every recording. It's really a good buy at this price point.

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2018 at 9:56 PM Post #2,036 of 6,744
Anyone compare qutest to ps DirectStream

Sep 18, 2018 at 4:53 PM Post #2,038 of 6,744
Ok, i started reading this lot i dont know how long ago.

So i bought a Chord EX

Then stuck an LPS on it

And then things changed

Oh, this is nice, this is tasty!

BUT, 2 WEEKS , 2 bloody weeks after i bought it,Chord launched the Qutest. Bugger !!! (apologies)

As for the EX with the LPS - very impressive, better with than without imo

So Back and forth i went, do i think is it worth it !

May, June, more thinking, more pondering, some paceing to and fro.

July more paceing, more thinking and some pondering

August, as detailed above pretty much but with a change of footwear.

Fair enough, flippers in the lounge!, its a stretch for anybody she cried! It helps me think i pace/cudunkin (thats not even a word).

So September arrives , bugger bugger bugger i cant take it anymore, so on september 7, i got one.

Im using this with a ming da campana integrated valve amp and and tannoys prescision 6.4 speakers

Report (lol) this is the whole point of the post!

75hrs on it. Blimey what a change

1st 4hrs - yuck.rough and toppy
About 20 hrs noticed a change, just kinda got its act together for want of a better word from there its just opened up and got better

Stunning midrange deatil
Digging very deep into the tracks (you think you know them inside out then, whazzat!)
The brittle top end is gone, its lovely
The bass taut and can go very very low when required with no wobble

The up and down of it is that its a lovely lovely thing both to look at (its a black brick, how sad am i? ), very well built, and sounds the business.

What can i say but ive read after 300hrs it comes alive. (Im like the undead as it stands 75hrs in and matchsticks have been snapped already,!)

Sadly i take burn in very seriously, like a duty or something, its to do with to much valve burning in probably, lol, ive a book for my valve burn in stuff and ive written it in there for godness sake, its documented)

Oh, and the packaging and box is befitting of the product. Im a sucker for a nice box!

Without opening a can of worms, with or without an lps?

Lol

For anyonewho hasnt, Teardrop by Massive Attack and Bugs by Lamchop should tell you all you need to know.

Loving it

Sep 18, 2018 at 8:53 PM Post #2,039 of 6,744
Ok, i started reading this lot i dont know how long ago.

So i bought a Chord EX

Then stuck an LPS on it

And then things changed

Oh, this is nice, this is tasty!

BUT, 2 WEEKS , 2 bloody weeks after i bought it,Chord launched the Qutest. Bugger !!! (apologies)

As for the EX with the LPS - very impressive, better with than without imo

So Back and forth i went, do i think is it worth it !

May, June, more thinking, more pondering, some paceing to and fro.

July more paceing, more thinking and some pondering

August, as detailed above pretty much but with a change of footwear.

Fair enough, flippers in the lounge!, its a stretch for anybody she cried! It helps me think i pace/cudunkin (thats not even a word).

So September arrives , bugger bugger bugger i cant take it anymore, so on september 7, i got one.

Im using this with a ming da campana integrated valve amp and and tannoys prescision 6.4 speakers

Report (lol) this is the whole point of the post!

75hrs on it. Blimey what a change

1st 4hrs - yuck.rough and toppy
About 20 hrs noticed a change, just kinda got its act together for want of a better word from there its just opened up and got better

Stunning midrange deatil
Digging very deep into the tracks (you think you know them inside out then, whazzat!)
The brittle top end is gone, its lovely
The bass taut and can go very very low when required with no wobble

The up and down of it is that its a lovely lovely thing both to look at (its a black brick, how sad am i? ), very well built, and sounds the business.

What can i say but ive read after 300hrs it comes alive. (Im like the undead as it stands 75hrs in and matchsticks have been snapped already,!)

Sadly i take burn in very seriously, like a duty or something, its to do with to much valve burning in probably, lol, ive a book for my valve burn in stuff and ive written it in there for godness sake, its documented)

Oh, and the packaging and box is befitting of the product. Im a sucker for a nice box!

Without opening a can of worms, with or without an lps?

Lol

For anyonewho hasnt, Teardrop by Massive Attack and Bugs by Lamchop should tell you all you need to know.

Loving it

What dac are you talking about?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back