Chord Electronics Qutest DAC - Official Thread
Sep 22, 2018 at 8:32 AM Post #2,057 of 6,740
Hi,
Thinking of adding the Curious USB cable and would like to know where best to connect this.
Which would give me most improvement if any,connecting from SSD to Auralic Femto Streamer USB connection or from Auralic Femto Streamer to Qutest Dac USB connection?
Thanks

Sep 22, 2018 at 8:58 AM Post #2,058 of 6,740
100% Agreed.
Thing is, in this case: the Qutest seems to sound better than the Yggy V2 despite the fact it is still louder in perception, anyway...
Conclusion: looks like the Qutest is a stellar DAC at the end.
I only had 1 hour to listen to the Qutest today. But I was so impressed by it.
I have been using YggyV2 for half a year or so, but I have always been disappointed by the amount of money I spent. (Emotionless sounding)
I wont go deeper into Qutest vs YggyV2, but would love to talk about what I find when listening to Qutest (comparing to YggyV2 ofcoz, cuz it's the other DAC I have)
---------------------
Instrument sounding: something to die for, so smooth to the ears, so natural that I seem to become numb during songs with alot of instruments being played.
Human sounding: when I listened to When you say nothing at all by Alison Krauss, I couldn't believe her voice could be that soft, natural, and beautiful. Her voice reached my chest then spread all over my body and I seemed to pass out on that :)
Drum/bass: I love to play Through the Fire and Flames again to test how Qutest handle low, I was super impressed here, I could feel all the vibarations from the drums/low in that fast song, didnt miss a single beat. Cool!
I typed alot, mostly because of how disappointed Ive been since I bought YggyV2, I guess. It feels so empty and emotionless when listening to Yggy that I listen less since that day...

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2018 at 1:58 PM Post #2,059 of 6,740
I am in the process of “ditching” my Naim ND5XS for a Qutest. Obviously I’ll need a transport for the Qutest. I now wonder whether it was better to use the Qutest’ USB input, or rather the S/PDIF (BNC) input. Does it make any difference?

Cheers!

Sep 23, 2018 at 3:56 PM Post #2,060 of 6,740
I am in the process of “ditching” my Naim ND5XS for a Qutest. Obviously I’ll need a transport for the Qutest. I now wonder whether it was better to use the Qutest’ USB input, or rather the S/PDIF (BNC) input. Does it make any difference?
Cheers!

Why are you “ditching” your ND5XS? It's a very good front end for the Qutest.

Sep 24, 2018 at 12:54 PM Post #2,062 of 6,740
I was wondering what analog interconnects you guys are using with your Qutest. I thought it wouldn't matter that much but by accident today I was reminded that it does. A lot...

I have a Goldmund Mimesis and a Van Der Hul Silver-MC IT Coaxial, - both are around 20 year old analog interconnect cables - the latter was forgotten in a box as it didn't fit the RCA of my Hugo. I ve had the Goldmund with the Hugo and when I got the Qutest I didn't even think about the other cable, I just fitted the Goldmund and rested my case. Today I had to use the Van Der Hul and it is surprising how different it sounds.I fact I much prefer it to the Goldmund. It sounds more balanced across the fq range , with a slightly warmer tonality. a bit more laid back too, less digital somehow ,equally as detailed but in a much more relaxed way, only drawback it feels like dynamics may be a little more restrained. I wonder if there is something that could bridge the tonalities of the 2...I m sure cable technology has advanced since I bought these cables , so any ideas?. Please don't bash me with 'cables sound the same','bits are bits' and the like, I ve crossed over to the other side :p

Sep 24, 2018 at 1:08 PM Post #2,063 of 6,740
I was wondering what analog interconnects you guys are using with your Qutest. I thought it wouldn't matter that much but by accident today I was reminded that it does. A lot...

I have a Goldmund Mimesis and a Van Der Hul Silver-MC IT Coaxial, - both are around 20 year old analog interconnect cables - the latter was forgotten in a box as it didn't fit the RCA of my Hugo. I ve had the Goldmund with the Hugo and when I got the Qutest I didn't even think about the other cable, I just fitted the Goldmund and rested my case. Today I had to use the Van Der Hul and it is surprising how different it sounds.I fact I much prefer it to the Goldmund. It sounds more balanced across the fq range , with a slightly warmer tonality. a bit more laid back too, less digital somehow ,equally as detailed but in a much more relaxed way, only drawback it feels like dynamics may be a little more restrained. I wonder if there is something that could bridge the tonalities of the 2...I m sure cable technology has advanced since I bought these cables , so any ideas?. Please don't bash me with 'cables sound the same','bits are bits' and the like, I ve crossed over to the other side :p

I use a Kimber KCAG which is pure silver. On my system, it works really well and I don’t find that it makes the sound brighter in any way, rather, there is greater detail retrieval.

Sep 24, 2018 at 1:36 PM Post #2,064 of 6,740

Blue Jeans Cables are very good-no BS cables.And reasonably priced,too!

Sep 24, 2018 at 4:54 PM Post #2,065 of 6,740
The ND5XS doesn‘t support Qobuz, and I am also thinking about having a go with Roon once Qobuz is integrated — and again something Naim doesn‘t support with legacy streamers.

I run Audirvana Plus (it streams Qobuz) on a Windows 10 i7 NUC SSD, music is on an Qnap NAS. Roon is a bit ott in my opinion. But I still use the ND5XS and have a N-DAC XPS as well as the Qutest. 2 different presentations of music via 282/250DR into a Mjilnir 2 for phones listening.

Sep 24, 2018 at 8:52 PM Post #2,067 of 6,740
Hello to all, I apologize if I use a translator, I wanted to ask you something about my Qutest, I had for several days a test Qutest from my retailer, connected to an intel Nuc in usb with Windows 10 and Foobar 1.4, every time I turned off the pc the Qutest was placed in a position that I would define stand-by, ie the porthole light was white and less strong, satisfied with the product I decided to take it and I got a new one packed, I left everything identical to how it was connected the other only that when I turn off the PC does not put on standby, remains on with the color of the light I was using, for example if I listen to a 24/96 pcm and turn off the PC the light remains green while instead with the other Qutest that I had under test the light was lowered and became white ....... according to you there is something wrong or I can always keep it lit in this way?
Thank you

Sep 24, 2018 at 10:15 PM Post #2,070 of 6,740
Hello to all, I apologize if I use a translator, I wanted to ask you something about my Qutest, I had for several days a test Qutest from my retailer, connected to an intel Nuc in usb with Windows 10 and Foobar 1.4, every time I turned off the pc the Qutest was placed in a position that I would define stand-by, ie the porthole light was white and less strong, satisfied with the product I decided to take it and I got a new one packed, I left everything identical to how it was connected the other only that when I turn off the PC does not put on standby, remains on with the color of the light I was using, for example if I listen to a 24/96 pcm and turn off the PC the light remains green while instead with the other Qutest that I had under test the light was lowered and became white ....... according to you there is something wrong or I can always keep it lit in this way?
Thank you

Mine continues to play colors of last track played no dimming.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back