Chord Electronics Qutest DAC - Official Thread
Sep 25, 2018 at 1:18 PM Post #2,086 of 6,740
... or maybe it all depends on how the source handles the signal when playback stops :wink:
here, Qutest connected to an Audiophilleo, dims all lights 15 minutes after playback stops whilst, connected to an Auralic Aries mini... all light stay on

My I have connected in the same PC to which the other was connected, I did not do anything, everything remained as it was, the first each time attenuated the light and became white, with this does not attenuate and remains the same color of the last frequency heard ......Important however is that it is not a malfunction and that nothing happens if I leave it on even with strong light .......

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2018 at 2:08 PM Post #2,087 of 6,740
I stopped using hqplayer after comparison with bit perfect . It seems like micro details are removed from the signal by hqplayer, the audio comes out is very smooth and clean, but seems a little dull.

Sep 25, 2018 at 5:00 PM Post #2,088 of 6,740
In fact, the Qutest I have now has a higher serial number but I do not think that Chord did any updates ... ... you should ask them ...
Anyway beyond this, I am very satisfied with this dac ......

Yes, I’m extremely happy with my purchase. I hope Chord can come up with a scaled down version of the M Scaler that perfectly matches the Qutest sometime in the future. For now, I just listen to the music and smile.

Sep 25, 2018 at 5:01 PM Post #2,089 of 6,740
... or maybe it all depends on how the source handles the signal when playback stops :wink:
here, Qutest connected to an Audiophilleo, dims all lights 15 minutes after playback stops whilst, connected to an Auralic Aries mini... all light stay on

Good point.

Sep 25, 2018 at 5:07 PM Post #2,090 of 6,740
Who has tried the M-Scaler is it satisfied? It really increases the quality? I dsd resampled them all in pcm 24/768? I'd like to try it but I can not afford it as too expensive for my chances ....

Sep 29, 2018 at 10:13 AM Post #2,094 of 6,740
There is a rather critical review of the Qutest, or at least the supplied power supply, in the months HiFi News. Specifically Paul Miller who did the technical review and measurements says:

“I will very rarely suggest upgrading a part the moment you have bought it but, if the 5V/2A switch-mode wall wart supplied here is indicative, then replacing it with a superior USB charger will surely reap subjective benefits. The supplied charger suffused the Qutest with sufficient switching noise and other interference that it proved impossible to realise it’s true technical potential. So I tested the Qutest with my (Oppo) smartphone charger instead, ridding the DAC’s output of spurious noise.”

Paul Miller HiFi News November 2018

Keith Howard, who did the subjective review of a different sample, said

“With Chord’s provided supply the sound was OK but lacking the beguiling insight and naturalness I was expecting from my many years enjoying the QuteHD. Swapping to iFiAudios supply fixed that, with Sinatra’s voice now oozing character .... “

Keith Howard HiFi News November 2018

Anyone care to comment? Might there be issues with Chord’s SMPS’s?

Understand that once the perceived power supply issues were resolved, this was an incredibly favourable and enthusiastic review, both technically and subjectively.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2018 at 12:46 PM Post #2,095 of 6,740
There is a rather critical review of the Qutest, or at least the supplied power supply, in the months HiFi News. Specifically Paul Miller who did the technical review and measurements says:

“I will very rarely suggest upgrading a part the moment you have bought it but, if the 5V/2A switch-mode wall wart supplied here is indicative, then replacing it with a superior USB charger will surely reap subjective benefits. The supplied charger suffused the Qutest with sufficient switching noise and other interference that it proved impossible to realise it’s true technical potential. So I tested the Qutest with my (Oppo) smartphone charger instead, ridding the DAC’s output of spurious noise.”

“With Chord’s provided supply the sound was OK but lacking the beguiling insight and naturalness I was expecting from my many years enjoying the QuteHD. Swapping to iFiAudios supply fixed that, with Sinatra’s voice now oozing character .... “

Understand that once the perceived power supply issues were resolved, this was an incredibly favourable and enthusiastic review, both technically and subjectively.
I don't know how you arrive at incredibly favourable? He seemed to dislike several aspects such as the case, the use of balls for control, the inclusion of filters, and preferred other Chord dacs. I was quite surprised by the overall tone of the review - almost as if he got up on the wrong side of bed that morning.

Sep 29, 2018 at 4:34 PM Post #2,096 of 6,740
I don't know how you arrive at incredibly favourable? He seemed to dislike several aspects such as the case, the use of balls for control, the inclusion of filters, and preferred other Chord dacs. I was quite surprised by the overall tone of the review - almost as if he got up on the wrong side of bed that morning.

Well the criticisms of the case and light balls are not unreasonable - I’ve got an MScaler and haven’t a clue what the colours mean unless I look in the manual that they don’t put in the box - but in terms of sound quality he said he thought it was a few important steps beyond the his own QuteHD which was the best DAC he’s heard under £3k, and concludes “this is a DAC for those that relish the clarity and impact which the best digital audio can deliver, particularly when it makes music revelatory.” so I would say that is incredibly favourable in terms of sound quality. But those remarks only apply to when a different power supply to the one supplied was used, so I think it is reasonable to wonder what was going on with the review power supplies that they seem to measure badly and sound bad. Was there an issue? Have Chord checked the review samples? Are other products affected? Paul Miller is well respected.

Sep 29, 2018 at 5:22 PM Post #2,097 of 6,740

Perhaps @ChordElectronics can chime in on whether the initial batch of power supplies included with the Qutest are any different than the latest shipments. I’m not hearing any interference with my new Qutest, or at least I haven’t noticed any. I do remember Rob mentioning using a battery power supply with his, but whether it was only for travel or also home use, I don’t recall. Reviewers do get early batch samples for review at times, so maybe there has been a change.

I imagine an external power supply’s performance can be impacted by the electrical circuit in one’s home, i.e., dimmer switches, appliance electrical noise, RFI, and other such things. At least, that is certainly the case in my experience with high end componentry with internal power supplies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back