Chord Electronics Qutest DAC - Official Thread
Sep 25, 2018 at 1:15 AM Post #2,071 of 6,736
Hello to all, I apologize if I use a translator, I wanted to ask you something about my Qutest, I had for several days a test Qutest from my retailer, connected to an intel Nuc in usb with Windows 10 and Foobar 1.4, every time I turned off the pc the Qutest was placed in a position that I would define stand-by, ie the porthole light was white and less strong, satisfied with the product I decided to take it and I got a new one packed, I left everything identical to how it was connected the other only that when I turn off the PC does not put on standby, remains on with the color of the light I was using, for example if I listen to a 24/96 pcm and turn off the PC the light remains green while instead with the other Qutest that I had under test the light was lowered and became white ....... according to you there is something wrong or I can always keep it lit in this way?
Thank you
The window light-when the input to the Qutest is off-has to do with the colour of the input and filter button.Try changing them and you'll see.

Sep 25, 2018 at 3:07 AM Post #2,073 of 6,736
I just looked throught the round glass and while on but not receiving digital signal there are 5 led lights on inside. One each for the current input and filter that are white and three red ones. Nothing has changed now that I am streaming. Those three become green , blue etc when sample freq changes and their colour slightly tints the filter and input light colour if you are on incisive neutral and usb input- an effect I quite like ..I don't see why you would worry about it but yeah, if anyone has any input on what would be correct Qutest behaviour , do please shed a light

Sep 25, 2018 at 4:05 AM Post #2,074 of 6,736
However, it was just to say that I had two Qutest in the house connected to the same PC and have different behavior, one goes off (so did my previous 2Qute) and one no ..... as I do not always the night off the current I asked if the dac could remain lit with the last color of the light reproduced instead of with low white light ....

Sep 25, 2018 at 4:24 AM Post #2,075 of 6,736
However, it was just to say that I had two Qutest in the house connected to the same PC and have different behavior, one goes off (so did my previous 2Qute) and one no ..... as I do not always the night off the current I asked if the dac could remain lit with the last color of the light reproduced instead of with low white light ....

Understood, mine behaves in the same way, all I m saying is it doesn't worry me and I have had it on since I bought it but would like to know too if others think otherwise.I was just clarifying that there are 5 lights in the qutest that could be contributing to visible colour and they look different depending on how light or dark the room is

Sep 25, 2018 at 5:20 AM Post #2,076 of 6,736

My Qutest is configured to the Neutral Filter (White) and USB Input (White). I have upscaling configured through Roon so when my system is on and Roon is running my center window light turns to Blue. When I turn my PC off, the window light changes to red/orange color. The Filter and Input always stay White ( per my settings). Mine has always operated like this. Hope this helps.

Sep 25, 2018 at 5:58 AM Post #2,077 of 6,736
Okay then, I leave it like that, you keep it always on or in the evening you turn it off?
About upsampling, with a program that would do upsampling pcm to 24/768 Are you okay, does it sound better?
Thank you

Sep 25, 2018 at 7:28 AM Post #2,078 of 6,736
I was using the Optical Input and then I learned that ROON a does upsampling if you use USB and use the Chord Qutest USB Driver. To me it does sound a bit fuller and little richer sound. So yes it sounds better to my ears.

Sep 25, 2018 at 10:04 AM Post #2,080 of 6,736

My setting is neutral, USB input and redbook, so two white lights and one red.

Once i stopped playing, the red stay until I powered down the source, and turned to white/red/blue.

The three lights went off once the source has powered up but before play.

And good to always leave the electronics on or standby mode except for class A power amp or tube gear.

The electronics will last longer in this way.

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2018 at 10:27 AM Post #2,081 of 6,736
The warmth is softness due to transients being out of alignment due to the comparatively crude up-sampling compared to Qutest's WTA filter. If you want a more accurate and much more musical sound, make sure the source is bit perfect, with no up-sampling.

Thank you Rob. I will disable the ROON up-sampling and give it a listen again. Since you were so kind to provide feedback on this, I understand your new M-Scaler does up-sampling, but I assume it does it significantly different than how it is applied in ROON. Will adding the new M-Scaler to my Qutest make a significant improvement to the sound ?

My current setups are :
Tidal & FLAC Server Files via ROON on PC (usb or optical) > Qutest > GS-X MkII > Utopia / HD-800 / LCD 2 Classic.
Tidal & FLAC Server Files via ROON on PC (usb or optical) > Qutest > Blue Hawaii > SR-009 / Lambda L700

Regards.
Ron

Sep 25, 2018 at 12:58 PM Post #2,082 of 6,736
Hello to all, I apologize if I use a translator, I wanted to ask you something about my Qutest, I had for several days a test Qutest from my retailer, connected to an intel Nuc in usb with Windows 10 and Foobar 1.4, every time I turned off the pc the Qutest was placed in a position that I would define stand-by, ie the porthole light was white and less strong, satisfied with the product I decided to take it and I got a new one packed, I left everything identical to how it was connected the other only that when I turn off the PC does not put on standby, remains on with the color of the light I was using, for example if I listen to a 24/96 pcm and turn off the PC the light remains green while instead with the other Qutest that I had under test the light was lowered and became white ....... according to you there is something wrong or I can always keep it lit in this way?
Thank you

Yes, mine remains on the color of the corresponding music file last played. Perhaps your dealer had an early version Qutest that worked differently.

Sep 25, 2018 at 1:01 PM Post #2,083 of 6,736
... or maybe I have an early version Qutest and the latest production works differently.

Sep 25, 2018 at 1:06 PM Post #2,084 of 6,736
... or maybe it all depends on how the source handles the signal when playback stops :wink:
here, Qutest connected to an Audiophilleo, dims all lights 15 minutes after playback stops whilst, connected to an Auralic Aries mini... all light stay on

Sep 25, 2018 at 1:12 PM Post #2,085 of 6,736
Yes, mine remains on the color of the corresponding music file last played. Perhaps your dealer had an early version Qutest that worked differently.

In fact, the Qutest I have now has a higher serial number but I do not think that Chord did any updates ... ... you should ask them ...
Anyway beyond this, I am very satisfied with this dac ......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back