Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Sep 21, 2018 at 10:35 AM Post #1,396 of 18,518
Every time someone on this thread says “ferrite” an angel dies.

86291865-0773-44F9-8B8B-D71BCDC6C287.jpeg

Sep 21, 2018 at 2:06 PM Post #1,397 of 18,518
This is still one of the best write-ups I've seen on BluMk2. In very simple terms from my perspective, BluMk2 adds more depth, space and air around the instruments. Fidelity is off the charts. I expect the HMS to do the exact same thing.

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/chord-blu-mk-ii-digital-cd-transport.22848/reviews

That review explains something to me that I did not know, and was confused about. In it @ray-dude says,

"When you connect to the coax inputs on the DAVE or Hugo2, you bypass the 1st stage of the WTA filter in the DAVE and in the Hugo2. These is the stage that does the heavy lifting of applying the taps to interpolate and reconstruct the original signal. The DAVE and Hugo2 then have the 2nd stage (volume control, cross fade, etc) and the digital to analog output stage. Connecting the Blu2 to these DACs effectively turns your DAVE into a 1M tap DAC (vs ~150k taps) and your Hugo2 into a 1M tap DAC (vs ~50k taps)"

Until I read this, I was confused because I thought the Hugo 2 or DAVE taps came into the equation. I thought the M-Scaler/Blu Mk 2 did the signal extrapolation. Then the DAC (e.g. Hugo 2 etc) somehow worked it's taps on what came from the M-Scaler. That way of thinking just didn't make sense, and it left me wondering how the M-scaler worked. In fact, my confusion was putting me off even considering the M-Scaler. .......... Whereas with this new explanation, it is crystal clear. It's like taking 50K taps out of your Hugo 2, and putting 1M back in.

The really interesting thing is that comparing BluDAVE to BluHugo2 really shines a bright light on the differences in the digital to analog output stages and the power supplies. DAVE is still the clear king of the hill, even with the same 1M taps as a Hugo2. Hugo2 + 1M taps is the 2nd best DAC I've ever heard (better than vanilla DAVE IMHO)

Yeah. Thank you again for your input.

I had my own theory of how the M-Scaler + DAC worked.

If you think of e.g. the Hugo 2 alone, playing music. It uses ~50K taps to interpolate the samples, from e.g. 44.1KHz music. Meaning a well made sinusoidal music signal made from #50K taps.

Then I thought adding the M-Scaler worked roughly by this explanation. The 1M taps interpolated the sinusoid from e.g 44.1 KHz samples. Thus creating a very accurate sinusoid. Then M-Scaler plotted 768KHz samples based on its sinusoid drawn though using 1m taps. (The M-scaler simply not out-putting the sinusoidal wave.) .... Anyway, then the M-Scaler presents those 768KHz samples to the Hugo 2.

Effectively then, a comparative difference being.
1. An M-Scaler produced 768KHz signal, sent to the Hugo 2.
2. Compared to the Hugo 2 alone with 768KHz music playing though it.

A comparison between the two, would mean that a Hugo 2 receiving a genuine 768KHz music sample was better. Better than a 44.1KHz sample going through M-Scaler to Hugo 2. This I think must be wrong though, and is why my theory must be wrong. .. However I would not underestimate the effect of using a genuine 768KHz signal on a Hugo 2.

Whatever though, somewhere in there is what I thought. It's a mess to explain, and think about. Therefor I was put off the M-Scaler only for now, until reviews arrived. If the widespread opinion was transforming, then I would consider an M-Scaler purchase maybe.

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2018 at 3:05 PM Post #1,399 of 18,518
Alright mate, can you hear any difference between the blu 2 and the m scaler?

I hoped I had been clear but . . .

yes, I can hear a difference between them. With no ferrites on either then HMS is better. With Wave cables on Blu2 it is better than HMS. With Wave cables on both they were exactly the same. I mention Wave cables because those are the cables I have. Does that help?

Sep 21, 2018 at 3:15 PM Post #1,400 of 18,518

yes, I can hear a difference between them. With no ferrites on either then HMS is better. With Wave cables on Blu2 it is better than HMS. With Wave cables on both they were exactly the same. I mention Wave cables because those are the cables I have. Does that help?

Thanks for all your inputs! Sorry for my ignorance but what do you mean by Wave cables? Could you post a link?

Many thanks again!

EDIT: Found it! Do you mean these cables?

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2018 at 4:31 PM Post #1,403 of 18,518

Hey mate that's great thanks.Can I ask why you bought it then if they both sound the same, surely blu 2 would be better with the option of CD s as well

Sep 21, 2018 at 4:56 PM Post #1,405 of 18,518
6FA5153F-BE21-4049-B56C-583C69B0E86C.jpeg
Well, I’ve had my HMS for a few days now, and I’ve been doing a lot of listening. I’m using dual BNC into my Hugo 2, until my pre-ordered TT 2 arrives.
I’m using LCD-4s and also have Oppo PM-1s. I’ve never heard the Blu2 so this is all new to me. I had already ordered TT2 before HMS was announced but thought, “what the hell!”.
I’ll confess that before today I had been having reservations about spending that much money on something for which I could barely detect a difference. I was pretty despondent, actually, because I started thinking that age had finally caught up with me (I’m 59) and that I’d become too cloth-eared to hear what appeared to everyone else to be a transformation to the sound. I don’t need to tell you guys how disastrous a prospect that was!
Now, here’s the interesting bit: the more I listen at full scaling (705.6 +), the more apparent the difference to vanilla 44.1 is starting to become. I’m hearing increased focus, less muddiness, sweeter top end and punchier bass. I’m not a great one for breaking down the ins and outs of one sound signature against another, but I can say that the HMS delivers a more satisfying listening experience. Actually, more than that, I can say that now I have finally got the LCD-4s sounding as I always thought they should (thank you, Dekoni hybrid pads!), I’m having plenty of OMG moments, especially with really well recorded material.
At one point I seriously thought about returning the HMS. I’m past that now and coming to realise that there’s no way back. In fact, I really can’t wait for the TT 2 now!
I’ve not really tried much with the PM-1s but it seemed on my last listen that the effect was equally noticeable as on the LCD-4s.
For those of you holding on to your H2 (at least for now) and getting an HMS, I think you’ll be pleased. If you have keener hearing than me you may get the effect right off the bat. If you don’t, I’d recommend persevering.
(apologies for the rubbish low-light photo; I don’t want to take off my headphones to get my camera out, so this one with my iPad )

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2018 at 8:05 PM Post #1,406 of 18,518
@tonyl59
i remember a @Rob Watts post a long while back that he was going to publish a few tracks in 44.1 and mscaled 705.6 (wav) to allow A/B for existing chord dac users. i still think this is a great idea ...perhaps waiting on davina to realize. it does not replace the full at-home experience you had ...but would have saved you come consternation.
thanks for the great writeup!
dan

Sep 21, 2018 at 9:07 PM Post #1,407 of 18,518
I have been extremely busy with work and personal commitments and have not had a chance to set up h2/hms. I need to do some furniture arranging as well so fingers crossed by monday i should get back with impressions and photos.

For Rob is there any problem placing hms/h2 next to a computer as in the picture above in terms of rf interference? Also should i expect a slight volume decrease in h2 when connected to hms in the same way blu2 affects dave in this regard? thanking you mk.

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2018 at 11:12 PM Post #1,408 of 18,518
@tonyl59
i remember a @Rob Watts post a long while back that he was going to publish a few tracks in 44.1 and mscaled 705.6 (wav) to allow A/B for existing chord dac users. i still think this is a great idea ...perhaps waiting on davina to realize. it does not replace the full at-home experience you had ...but would have saved you come consternation.
thanks for the great writeup!
dan

Yes that needs Davina project. Working on Davina now...

I have been extremely busy with work and personal commitments and have not had a chance to set up h2/hms. I need to do some furniture arranging as well so fingers crossed by monday i should get back with impressions and photos.

For Rob is there any problem placing hms/h2 next to a computer as in the picture above in terms of rf interference? Also should i expect a slight volume decrease in h2 when connected to hms in the same way blu2 affects dave in this regard? thanking you mk.

Yes it's got the 2.75 dB loss, but pass thru mode also has the 2.75 dB making AB testing easy.

Placement is fine like the photo...

Sep 21, 2018 at 11:21 PM Post #1,409 of 18,518
Well, I’ve had my HMS for a few days now, and I’ve been doing a lot of listening. I’m using dual BNC into my Hugo 2, until my pre-ordered TT 2 arrives.
I’m using LCD-4s and also have Oppo PM-1s. I’ve never heard the Blu2 so this is all new to me. I had already ordered TT2 before HMS was announced but thought, “what the hell!”.
I’ll confess that before today I had been having reservations about spending that much money on something for which I could barely detect a difference. I was pretty despondent, actually, because I started thinking that age had finally caught up with me (I’m 59) and that I’d become too cloth-eared to hear what appeared to everyone else to be a transformation to the sound. I don’t need to tell you guys how disastrous a prospect that was!
Now, here’s the interesting bit: the more I listen at full scaling (705.6 +), the more apparent the difference to vanilla 44.1 is starting to become. I’m hearing increased focus, less muddiness, sweeter top end and punchier bass. I’m not a great one for breaking down the ins and outs of one sound signature against another, but I can say that the HMS delivers a more satisfying listening experience. Actually, more than that, I can say that now I have finally got the LCD-4s sounding as I always thought they should (thank you, Dekoni hybrid pads!), I’m having plenty of OMG moments, especially with really well recorded material.
At one point I seriously thought about returning the HMS. I’m past that now and coming to realise that there’s no way back. In fact, I really can’t wait for the TT 2 now!
I’ve not really tried much with the PM-1s but it seemed on my last listen that the effect was equally noticeable as on the LCD-4s.
For those of you holding on to your H2 (at least for now) and getting an HMS, I think you’ll be pleased. If you have keener hearing than me you may get the effect right off the bat. If you don’t, I’d recommend persevering.
(apologies for the rubbish low-light photo; I don’t want to take off my headphones to get my camera out, so this one with my iPad )

Your 3.5 mm connector to dual bnc adapter on your Hugo 2 looks very interesting. Could you please post a link as to where I can buy one. Thanks

Sep 21, 2018 at 11:55 PM Post #1,410 of 18,518

Fantastic that you are enjoying your HMS. Just a thought having seen your photo for you to check that you do not have Video mode engaged. I can’t properly see the colour of the far left ball but I have it Off as opposed to Auto because I gave a number of 48kHz hires audio files so I don’t want it auto kicking in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back