Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Sep 23, 2018 at 4:42 AM Post #1,426 of 18,448
Not sure if the Hugo 2 can optimally drive the power hungry LCD4 but when your TT2 comes, that would indeed make it shine and maybe make the mscaler benefits more apparent.
That’s what I’m hoping too! That was my reasoning for ordering the TT 2 first. Since I changed the LCD4 pads to Dekoni hybrids, they've been sounding massively improved with Hugo 2. At long last, all that quality bass I’d heard about!

Sep 23, 2018 at 11:28 AM Post #1,431 of 18,448
I’ve a wee problem with my M Scaler and DAVE, Before I conclude that it is a fault and not a misunderstanding can any of you guys help me in trying to replicate the issue? The problem is to do with the various output Sample Rates, and how they show on the DAVE,

With either USB or optical 1 input to my M Scaler and both BNC leads connected to BNC 1 and 2

If I play a 44.1 sample rate track
.. and set the OP SR on the MScaler to Red (bypass) my DAVE shows 44.1kHz Red OK So far so good.
.. and set the OP SR on the MScaler to Green my DAVE shows 88.2 kHz Yellow.
.. and set the OP SR on the MScaler to Blue my DAVE shows 176.4 Light Boue
.. and set the OP SR on the MScaler to White my DAVE first shows 352.8 kHz Blue, and the sound is mono, then a second later there is a little “tick” and the DAVE flips to 705.6kHz which is what it should be.

So cycling through the Output SRs on the MScaler gives me 44.1/88.2/176.4/352.8 mono briefly/705.6

The table in the manual (as far as it is intelligible) suggests the progressions should be 44.1/176.4/352.8/705.6 - ie no 88.2 step. (and no brief mono interlude).

Even weirder things happen with a 96khz input .. cycling OP SR then gives 96/96/192/384 mono changing to 768 after a click.

Doesn’t matter whether I use optical or USB input, or which BNC ins on the DAVE. Drivers are latest, players are JRiver (wasapi exclusive) or Qobuz or a Squeezebox Touch for optical. All these give expected sample rates if I connect them straight to the DAVE so I trust the source.

Is it just that Table 4.5 in the M Scaler manual is a lot of tosh, or is either my DAVE or M Scaler wonky?

So could anyone who has an M Scaler / DAVE and 5 minutes spare play a 44.1 track and cycle through the OP SRs on their M Scaler and see what the DAVE says?

Incidentally for all OP SRs apart from the 705/768 it makes no difference whether I have one or two BNCs connected.

Sep 23, 2018 at 12:09 PM Post #1,432 of 18,448
I’ve a wee problem with my M Scaler and DAVE, Before I conclude that it is a fault and not a misunderstanding can any of you guys help me in trying to replicate the issue? The problem is to do with the various output Sample Rates, and how they show on the DAVE,

With either USB or optical 1 input to my M Scaler and both BNC leads connected to BNC 1 and 2

.. and set the OP SR on the MScaler to Red (bypass) my DAVE shows 44.1kHz Red OK So far so good.
.. and set the OP SR on the MScaler to White my DAVE first shows 352.8 kHz Blue, and the sound is mono, then a second later there is a little “tick” and the DAVE flips to 705.6kHz which is what it should be.

So cycling through the Output SRs on the MScaler gives me 44.1/88.2/176.4/352.8 mono briefly/705.6

The table in the manual (as far as it is intelligible) suggests the progressions should be 44.1/176.4/352.8/705.6 - ie no 88.2 step. (and no brief mono interlude).

Even weirder things happen with a 96khz input .. cycling OP SR then gives 96/96/192/384 mono changing to 768 after a click.

Doesn’t matter whether I use optical or USB input, or which BNC ins on the DAVE. Drivers are latest, players are JRiver (wasapi exclusive) or Qobuz or a Squeezebox Touch for optical. All these give expected sample rates if I connect them straight to the DAVE so I trust the source.

Is it just that Table 4.5 in the M Scaler manual is a lot of tosh, or is either my DAVE or M Scaler wonky?

So could anyone who has an M Scaler / DAVE and 5 minutes spare play a 44.1 track and cycle through the OP SRs on their M Scaler and see what the DAVE says?

Incidentally for all OP SRs apart from the 705/768 it makes no difference whether I have one or two BNCs connected.
I think a few posters have commented that one of the tables is 'confusing', so maybe one of those posters can help you.

Sep 23, 2018 at 1:06 PM Post #1,433 of 18,448
That’s what I’m hoping too! That was my reasoning for ordering the TT 2 first. Since I changed the LCD4 pads to Dekoni hybrids, they've been sounding massively improved with Hugo 2. At long last, all that quality bass I’d heard about!

Yeah, I had the LCD-4 previously and indeed the Hugo 2 doesn't quite have the power to drive it to its full potential. The Hugo TT 2 should be an amazing upgrade for you, it'll laugh at any headphone load.

Sep 23, 2018 at 1:46 PM Post #1,434 of 18,448

That's correct behaviour. I will get the manual corrected - dual BNC operation is only on white.

Sep 23, 2018 at 2:21 PM Post #1,435 of 18,448
That's correct behaviour. I will get the manual corrected - dual BNC operation is only on white.

Phew! And thanks. I’ve had my M Scaler for a few days. The change it brings is overwhelming, music becomes massive, powerful, so strong and tangible and credible, thrilling, almost dangerously so, absolutely takes you over, compellingly, like the performance is being directly wired into you. In some senses the biggest change I’ve ever made to my hi-fi. Can’t quite come to terms with it yet, because there is just so much more of everything. Thank you.

Sep 24, 2018 at 12:57 AM Post #1,439 of 18,448
@Rob Watts Would you please tell me what size and type female adapter is required for the DC input?

It's a standard 5.5mm x 2.5mm.

Phew! And thanks. I’ve had my M Scaler for a few days. The change it brings is overwhelming, music becomes massive, powerful, so strong and tangible and credible, thrilling, almost dangerously so, absolutely takes you over, compellingly, like the performance is being directly wired into you. In some senses the biggest change I’ve ever made to my hi-fi. Can’t quite come to terms with it yet, because there is just so much more of everything. Thank you.

You can see why, even for short flights, why I have to have the M scaler now... And it is that ability to connect to the musical performance that is almost spooky - particularly with older pre 1968 recordings. And the other aspect that I still find exciting is the raw power of individual instruments; sometimes, even now, the sense of tangibility catches one by surprise.

Sep 24, 2018 at 12:23 PM Post #1,440 of 18,448
You can see why, even for short flights, why I have to have the M scaler now... And it is that ability to connect to the musical performance that is almost spooky - particularly with older pre 1968 recordings. And the other aspect that I still find exciting is the raw power of individual instruments; sometimes, even now, the sense of tangibility catches one by surprise.[/QUOTE]
Was there some sort of seachange in 1968, that resulted in your statement above? Just for knowledge.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back