Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Sep 22, 2018 at 1:56 AM Post #1,411 of 18,518
Your 3.5 mm connector to dual bnc adapter on your Hugo 2 looks very interesting. Could you please post a link as to where I can buy one. Thanks
It’s an Audioquest adapter that I got from Amazon UK... https://www.amazon.co.uk/AudioQuest-Hard-Mini-3-5mm-Adaptor/dp/B003VJX2F2
Curiously, though, the Hugo 2 switches to dual BNC input mode only when the HMS OP SR setting is on white; for all other OP SR settings the Hugo 2 switches to single BNC input mode, so I’m not getting the full resolution at those settings. I don’t know if this has anything to do with the adapter but I thought I’d mention it in any case.

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2018 at 2:44 AM Post #1,413 of 18,518
It’s an Audioquest adapter that I got from Amazon UK... https://www.amazon.co.uk/AudioQuest-Hard-Mini-3-5mm-Adaptor/dp/B003VJX2F2
Curiously, though, the Hugo 2 switches to dual BNC input mode only when the HMS OP SR setting is on white; for all other OP SR settings the Hugo 2 switches to single BNC input mode, so I’m not getting the full resolution at those settings. I don’t know if this has anything to do with the adapter but I thought I’d mention it in any case.

That's normal; dual BNC operation is only for the full 1M taps at 705/768 kHz. Otherwise it is single data mode at max rate of 352/384 kHz.

Sep 22, 2018 at 3:46 AM Post #1,414 of 18,518
That's normal; dual BNC operation is only for the full 1M taps at 705/768 kHz. Otherwise it is single data mode at max rate of 352/384 kHz.
I thought that might be the case, Rob. However, the user manual doesn’t really make this very clear. If I’m interpreting it correctly, it says that on lower sampling rates it still uses dual BNC. So, on blue, for example, it’s 352.8 rather than single BNC’s 176.4. As I say, maybe I’m not reading it correctly :).
Edit: so, am I right in thinking that with 2 BNC cables connected to Hugo 2, there is no way that I can get 352? White is dual-BNC at 705, then the next one down (blue) is single BNC at 176. It actually doesn’t matter to me at all, but I raise it only because the manual suggests that it will use dual-BNC at lower sampling rates.

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2018 at 6:24 AM Post #1,415 of 18,518
@tonyl59
i remember a @Rob Watts post a long while back that he was going to publish a few tracks in 44.1 and mscaled 705.6 (wav) to allow A/B for existing chord dac users. i still think this is a great idea ...perhaps waiting on davina to realize. it does not replace the full at-home experience you had ...but would have saved you come consternation.
thanks for the great writeup!
dan

Haha, I want this.

Sep 22, 2018 at 2:26 PM Post #1,417 of 18,518
Well, I’ve had my HMS for a few days now, and I’ve been doing a lot of listening. I’m using dual BNC into my Hugo 2, until my pre-ordered TT 2 arrives.
I’m using LCD-4s and also have Oppo PM-1s. I’ve never heard the Blu2 so this is all new to me. I had already ordered TT2 before HMS was announced but thought, “what the hell!”.
I’ll confess that before today I had been having reservations about spending that much money on something for which I could barely detect a difference. I was pretty despondent, actually, because I started thinking that age had finally caught up with me (I’m 59) and that I’d become too cloth-eared to hear what appeared to everyone else to be a transformation to the sound. I don’t need to tell you guys how disastrous a prospect that was!
Now, here’s the interesting bit: the more I listen at full scaling (705.6 +), the more apparent the difference to vanilla 44.1 is starting to become. I’m hearing increased focus, less muddiness, sweeter top end and punchier bass. I’m not a great one for breaking down the ins and outs of one sound signature against another, but I can say that the HMS delivers a more satisfying listening experience. Actually, more than that, I can say that now I have finally got the LCD-4s sounding as I always thought they should (thank you, Dekoni hybrid pads!), I’m having plenty of OMG moments, especially with really well recorded material.
At one point I seriously thought about returning the HMS. I’m past that now and coming to realise that there’s no way back. In fact, I really can’t wait for the TT 2 now!
I’ve not really tried much with the PM-1s but it seemed on my last listen that the effect was equally noticeable as on the LCD-4s.
For those of you holding on to your H2 (at least for now) and getting an HMS, I think you’ll be pleased. If you have keener hearing than me you may get the effect right off the bat. If you don’t, I’d recommend persevering.
(apologies for the rubbish low-light photo; I don’t want to take off my headphones to get my camera out, so this one with my iPad )
Alright mate, congratulations on getting your M scaler,I really thought it would of blew your wig off so I'm very surprised you weren't blown away from the start.

Sep 22, 2018 at 2:32 PM Post #1,418 of 18,518
Jesus two Dave systems.. .Amazing! ! !

To be fair one is black and the other is silver and one or other is being listened to for 10 hours a day whilst I am working.

Sep 22, 2018 at 4:31 PM Post #1,421 of 18,518
Fantastic that you are enjoying your HMS. Just a thought having seen your photo for you to check that you do not have Video mode engaged. I can’t properly see the colour of the far left ball but I have it Off as opposed to Auto because I gave a number of 48kHz hires audio files so I don’t want it auto kicking in.
Yes, a good thought. It’s yellow, which is auto Music. Sometimes I turn it off, just to be sure, as you say. Thanks!

Sep 22, 2018 at 9:01 PM Post #1,422 of 18,518
Sep 23, 2018 at 3:17 AM Post #1,425 of 18,518
Well, I’ve had my HMS for a few days now, and I’ve been doing a lot of listening. I’m using dual BNC into my Hugo 2, until my pre-ordered TT 2 arrives.
I’m using LCD-4s and also have Oppo PM-1s. I’ve never heard the Blu2 so this is all new to me. I had already ordered TT2 before HMS was announced but thought, “what the hell!”.
I’ll confess that before today I had been having reservations about spending that much money on something for which I could barely detect a difference. I was pretty despondent, actually, because I started thinking that age had finally caught up with me (I’m 59) and that I’d become too cloth-eared to hear what appeared to everyone else to be a transformation to the sound. I don’t need to tell you guys how disastrous a prospect that was!
Now, here’s the interesting bit: the more I listen at full scaling (705.6 +), the more apparent the difference to vanilla 44.1 is starting to become. I’m hearing increased focus, less muddiness, sweeter top end and punchier bass. I’m not a great one for breaking down the ins and outs of one sound signature against another, but I can say that the HMS delivers a more satisfying listening experience. Actually, more than that, I can say that now I have finally got the LCD-4s sounding as I always thought they should (thank you, Dekoni hybrid pads!), I’m having plenty of OMG moments, especially with really well recorded material.
At one point I seriously thought about returning the HMS. I’m past that now and coming to realise that there’s no way back. In fact, I really can’t wait for the TT 2 now!
I’ve not really tried much with the PM-1s but it seemed on my last listen that the effect was equally noticeable as on the LCD-4s.
For those of you holding on to your H2 (at least for now) and getting an HMS, I think you’ll be pleased. If you have keener hearing than me you may get the effect right off the bat. If you don’t, I’d recommend persevering.
(apologies for the rubbish low-light photo; I don’t want to take off my headphones to get my camera out, so this one with my iPad )

Not sure if the Hugo 2 can optimally drive the power hungry LCD4 but when your TT2 comes, that would indeed make it shine and maybe make the mscaler benefits more apparent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back