Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Apr 26, 2024 at 2:56 AM Post #18,438 of 18,491
@Rob Watts

What would be the best way to come AES/EBU out of the M-Scaler?

Thanks in advance!!
Neutrik make an impedance adapter, but you’d be plugging that into the AES of your DAC and using a S/PDIF cable from the MScaler.
I take a slightly different attitude to the great spectrum that runs between total objectivism (not achievable) and total subjectivism (also not achievable). If anything pops up that piques my interest I look into it. If it’s not for me, I ignore it.
There’s more music in the world than any of us could possibly hear in a lifetime, so I prefer to spend my time with that. Reading the occasional interesting thing, regardless of where it is on the spectrum, is can be fun, too.

Just trying to keep it a hobby…
In the US especially everything has become extremely tribal. Sensible middle ground attitudes aren’t appreciated as people can’t get worked up over them. I prefer sports and martial arts for my adrenaline personally. Listening to music for relaxing too. So much fixation on things other than adding to that enjoyment can ruin that. That’s why we “get” what products such as the MScaler are for.

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2024 at 3:26 AM Post #18,439 of 18,491
That is exactly the reason why I am already trying to find ways to get the Nvidia Shield Tv to output the sound 2.5 seconds early. I know once I heard the Quartett I want it’s full potential. I can’t watch streaming anymore without the full 1 million taps. Or I will buy a lot more blue rays because the app „Kodi“ (also on the Shield) can send the audio basically when ever you want.
You can do a lot with players like VLC that also accept web addresses as input, and there you can set the delay to exactly +- 2.5 seconds

Apr 26, 2024 at 3:50 AM Post #18,441 of 18,491
You can do a lot with players like VLC that also accept web addresses as input, and there you can set the delay to exactly +- 2.5 seconds
Would it work with Netflix 4K Dolby Vision?

Apr 26, 2024 at 8:51 AM Post #18,442 of 18,491
So Golden, measurements-wise, how does the Red look compared to the iFi Stream?
The red is about 60% lower jitter than the Zen Stream, Zen Stream coming in at about 180-200ps jitter and the Red having 70-75ps jitter.

Noise wise both were extremely quiet. Zen stream was 3.49mV upto 100khz and Red was 2.97mV upto 100khz

Apr 26, 2024 at 11:25 AM Post #18,445 of 18,491
Sorry sorry, back to the M-Scaler topic
Why? The Nvidia Shield is the only product that supports the M Scalers delay with every streaming service. It is 100% related😉

Apr 26, 2024 at 12:06 PM Post #18,446 of 18,491
Yeap i watch my movies using free VLC player on my TV and Ipad with video delay at 640ms and 1M scaling.

Works perfectly

Apr 26, 2024 at 12:37 PM Post #18,447 of 18,491
Yeap i watch my movies using free VLC player on my TV and Ipad with video delay at 640ms and 1M scaling.

Works perfectly
I already use the app Kodi for that. The problem is (to my knowledge) you can not open streaming services in VLC player like amazon prime and Netflix etc. The only option I found was to use a Netflix downloader which only supports up to 1080p and is most likely illegal. That’s the nice thing about the shield: it integrates the native audio delay setting into every other streaming app (up to 1 second delay). Rob already put support for the 1 second into the Quartett, but if I can find a solution I don’t mind having more. That is why I hope I can just change the settings by rooting the Shield, but I would need help for that as I would never find the right setting in the files. Blu Rays are always better of course (no compression), but you can’t get Netflix series and movies on Blu Ray sadly.

Apr 26, 2024 at 12:51 PM Post #18,448 of 18,491
but you can’t get Netflix series and movies on Blu Ray sadly.
I noticed netflix streams all its movies at 44.1k on my TV android phone and ipad.. which sounds nowhere near as good as the same movies downloaded from other sources at (their native demultiplied) 48k. It seems they downsample for the sake of winning 5% network bandwidth.

I hope im wrong and theres a way to still get native SR sound from netflix but i gave up after reading about the tech behind netflix.

Apr 28, 2024 at 10:38 AM Post #18,449 of 18,491
I've just posted a video demonstrating that not only can high performance oversampling indeed make an audible difference vs standard filters, but therefore DACs themselves even if 120dB SINAD can also still sound different and are in fact not necessarily 'Audibly Transparent'

Apr 28, 2024 at 12:16 PM Post #18,450 of 18,491
@GoldenSound i wanted to ask a curiosity of mine:

when taking measurements with equipment such as the Audio Analyzer APx555, is it possible that the household electricity (cleaner or more polluted) influences the measurements or does it not change anything on the result?

Thank you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back