Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Apr 25, 2024 at 2:14 PM Post #18,421 of 18,491
You can't directly convert the dB value shown on a J-Test in this manner. Higher frequency jitter of equal amplitude will show as lower in level on a J-Test and it's also not particularly intuitive to be able to sum/total up the jitter when there are many components.
Yes of course. But you don't listen to jitter "itself" you listen to the distortion components that jitter is causing. Hence I quoted some random values. So putting numbers in us or ns without context is just a number so one can say: "ha look jitter is lower I told ya"

But my point is just that saying something is 'immune' when it's not is incorrect. Being resistant to jitter, or having a fairly low level of jitter are not the same as being immune.
Yes.

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2024 at 2:54 PM Post #18,422 of 18,491
Being resistant to jitter, or having a fairly low level of jitter are not the same as being immune.
Made me think of the analogy with clothing.
Some clothing is advertised as waterproof (ie no rain will get through).
Other clothing is advertised as showerproof, or water resistant (ie if you stand in heavy rain, for a long enough period, then some water will find a way through the material), but such clothing can still keep the wearer dry under most circumstances.

Apr 25, 2024 at 4:02 PM Post #18,423 of 18,491
You can't directly convert the dB value shown on a J-Test in this manner. Higher frequency jitter of equal amplitude will show as lower in level on a J-Test and it's also not particularly intuitive to be able to sum/total up the jitter when there are many components.

The J-Test is a handy way to be able to view jitter components at the analog output of a DAC but should not be compared to harmonic distortion levels etc

I agree though, nowadays Jitter in DACs is generally very low, not at all disputing that. But my point is just that saying something is 'immune' when it's not is incorrect. Being resistant to jitter, or having a fairly low level of jitter are not the same as being immune.
Golden, what DAC are you using now?

Apr 25, 2024 at 4:45 PM Post #18,424 of 18,491
Apr 25, 2024 at 5:53 PM Post #18,426 of 18,491
Very nice thanks for sharing, what speakers and what amps do you use? I didn't know that you had a speaker set up, I thought you were all headphones.
No I'm speakers as well now :)
I'm currently using the Focal Sopra No3's and two SVS SB-16 Ultras

P1003716.jpg

KMVd2pg.jpeg

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2024 at 6:01 PM Post #18,427 of 18,491
Nice setup.

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2024 at 6:07 PM Post #18,428 of 18,491
Nice setup. What is the small box on top of the Red Streamer looks like Intona wrote on the front and what is it used for?
Thanks
That's an Intona 7055-C. One of the cleanest USB sources you can get and what I use when connecting stuff directly to my laptop or desktop via USB to eliminate any potential noise concerns

Apr 25, 2024 at 6:12 PM Post #18,429 of 18,491

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2024 at 6:38 PM Post #18,431 of 18,491
Apr 25, 2024 at 7:30 PM Post #18,432 of 18,491
That's an Intona 7055-C. One of the cleanest USB sources you can get and what I use when connecting stuff directly to my laptop or desktop via USB to eliminate any potential noise concerns
So, you connect your computer which you use as a streamer into the Intona via USB, then you USB out of the Intona with the USB being filtered by the Intona, I'm I getting this correctly? Also, didn't you review and measure the iFi Zen Stream and it had barely any noise on its USB output? Let me know, thanks.

Apr 25, 2024 at 7:40 PM Post #18,433 of 18,491
So, you connect your computer which you use as a streamer into the Intona via USB, then you USB out of the Intona with the USB being filtered by the Intona, I'm I getting this correctly? Also, didn't you review and measure the iFi Zen Stream and it had barely any noise on its USB output? Let me know, thanks.
I typically don't use my PC as the source, I normally use the Holo Red as the streamer.

But sometimes I may need to use a PC as a source (when doing measurements for example) and so the Intona ensures that doing so doesn't compromise the sound or measurements when using a potentially noisy PC as the source.

Zen stream is a very very clean source, but unfortunately doesn't support 768khz output so I didn't buy one. Also the red has the lowest jitter of any DDC/streamer I've tested (tied with the Rockna Wavedream NET but that's nearly £10,000), has i2s output and more flexibility with what you can stream to it so that's my go-to source device.

Apr 25, 2024 at 7:48 PM Post #18,434 of 18,491
I typically don't use my PC as the source, I normally use the Holo Red as the streamer.

But sometimes I may need to use a PC as a source (when doing measurements for example) and so the Intona ensures that doing so doesn't compromise the sound or measurements when using a potentially noisy PC as the source.

Zen stream is a very very clean source, but unfortunately doesn't support 768khz output so I didn't buy one. Also the red has the lowest jitter of any DDC/streamer I've tested (tied with the Rockna Wavedream NET but that's nearly £10,000), has i2s output and more flexibility with what you can stream to it so that's my go-to source device.
I see, very nice. Does the Holo red support Roon?

Apr 25, 2024 at 7:54 PM Post #18,435 of 18,491

Actually I just looked it up and see that it does support Roon, interesting product.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back