Chord Electronics Qutest DAC - Official Thread
May 26, 2024 at 8:41 AM Post #6,751 of 6,775
I am still struggling too. Should I upgrade to TT2 or add m-scaler first then tt2 later on or try other R2R dac.

I like my Cutest even more after changing my interconnect. It is a silver interconnect and I hear even more details and nuances. The sound stage also improve too.

Sometimes, I hope I will not be so picky then I will not have to upgrade anything but also curious how will it sound if I have .....

Now, I seems to settle down on Cutest as I really like my current sound from Cutest. But still thinking how the sound will be if it is with M-scaler or upgrade to tt2 for my system. Never ending of upgrading which can be tiring at times and wallets also feel painful too.

May 26, 2024 at 12:37 PM Post #6,752 of 6,775
I am still struggling too. Should I upgrade to TT2 or add m-scaler first then tt2 later on or try other R2R dac.

I like my Cutest even more after changing my interconnect. It is a silver interconnect and I hear even more details and nuances. The sound stage also improve too.

Sometimes, I hope I will not be so picky then I will not have to upgrade anything but also curious how will it sound if I have .....

Now, I seems to settle down on Cutest as I really like my current sound from Cutest. But still thinking how the sound will be if it is with M-scaler or upgrade to tt2 for my system. Never ending of upgrading which can be tiring at times and wallets also feel painful too.
Just think of the qutest, with the tt2+mscaler is everything around 30% better, so you get everything what the qutest has and more. Both are amazing, to be honest. The qutest+decent psu, is a bargain compared to otherS

But it costs… I know it hurted my wallet quite a bit😂 but got a good deal both together for 6500 new, and knowing what it normally cost I took the plunge

Jun 4, 2024 at 8:33 AM Post #6,753 of 6,775
Hi everyone,

A while back I wrote on this forum complaining of noise from Qutest and Anni. I finally sent them to Sound Organization, Chord's US distributor. To make it short, the service I got from Rick was exemplary in every way and now Imy Qutest and Anni are good as new and sound wonderful.

Just wanted everyone to know in case they need service in the future.

Stan

Jun 4, 2024 at 9:03 AM Post #6,754 of 6,775
Hi everyone,

A while back I wrote on this forum complaining of noise from Qutest and Anni. I finally sent them to Sound Organization, Chord's US distributor. To make it short, the service I got from Rick was exemplary in every way and now Imy Qutest and Anni are good as new and sound wonderful.

Just wanted everyone to know in case they need service in the future.

Stan

Rick is seriously one of the nicest guys in the whole industry.

Jun 4, 2024 at 10:47 AM Post #6,755 of 6,775
Just think of the qutest, with the tt2+mscaler is everything around 30% better
Powering the Qutest with Eneloop AA batteries without regulators is sounding probably 20-30% better than the stock PS, so if there are Eneloops around (usually from photography hobby, etc), I recommend to give it a try :dt880smile:
All one needs if four of them in series, but I paralled 4 x2 for increased playtime. There are DC barrel to microUSB adapter plugs on Amazon.

0910200830.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2024 at 6:11 PM Post #6,756 of 6,775
Powering the Qutest with Eneloop AA batteries without regulators is sounding probably 20-30% better than the stock PS, so if there are Eneloops around (usually from photography hobby, etc), I recommend to give it a try :dt880smile:
All one needs if four of them in series, but I paralled 4 x2 for increased playtime. There are DC barrel to microUSB adapter plugs on Amazon.

0910200830.jpg
Some comments about voltage by Rob Watts:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/cho...official-thread.869417/page-443#post-17869894

Jun 5, 2024 at 4:58 AM Post #6,757 of 6,775
Jun 8, 2024 at 6:18 AM Post #6,761 of 6,775
So I'm here in Canada, we have a local website Canuck Audio Mart for buy and sell.

Suddenly this week I'm seeing 5 people selling their Qutest. 5 people in the same week is a lot.

Is something going on? Did I missed something? :scream:

Is it finally time for me to snatch up a Qutest? :joy:
There has been no hint of a new Qutest on any of the Chord threads.
This year Chord already have the Bertii, Alto, Suzi, Quartet Scaler, Ultimate Dac, in the pipeline to start shipping, and Rob posts that he is not working on a Dave 2 or Hugo 3.
Maybe the Suzi could replace the Qutest for some owners, but it is still several months away from shipping, so I doubt anyone would be selling their Qutests yet.

The latest gossip may appear on the Shanghai canjam thread today https://www.head-fi.org/threads/canjam-shanghai-2024-impressions-thread.973068/post-18157896

Jun 8, 2024 at 9:24 AM Post #6,762 of 6,775
There has been no hint of a new Qutest on any of the Chord threads.
This year Chord already have the Bertii, Alto, Suzi, Quartet Scaler, Ultimate Dac, in the pipeline to start shipping, and Rob posts that he is not working on a Dave 2 or Hugo 3.
Maybe the Suzi could replace the Qutest for some owners, but it is still several months away from shipping, so I doubt anyone would be selling their Qutests yet.

The latest gossip may appear on the Shanghai canjam thread today https://www.head-fi.org/threads/canjam-shanghai-2024-impressions-thread.973068/post-18157896
Gotcha, then it most likely just coincidence that everyone's selling at the same time.

Thanks! :relaxed:

Jun 8, 2024 at 10:47 AM Post #6,763 of 6,775
Gotcha, then it most likely just coincidence that everyone's selling at the same time.

Thanks! :relaxed:
A research scientist will probably state that the five sales are a statistical anomaly.
I do see similar questions asked on the other Chord threads now and again, when no new product is on the horizon, so such statistical anomalies do occur.

Having said that:
  • In the threads about the new Quartet scaler, some owners already mention that they will start selling gear to build up a fighting fund for later in the year
  • I can imagine that a few qutest owners might want to sell to start raising funds for the Suzi later in the year
  • I can imagine that now the N Hemisphere summer is starting, some qutest owners might want to sell to raise funds for summer hobbies
  • etc
It would only take one owner from each category to sell, to create the type of blip that you describe.
:relaxed:

Jun 9, 2024 at 2:29 AM Post #6,764 of 6,775
A research scientist will probably state that the five sales are a statistical anomaly.
I do see similar questions asked on the other Chord threads now and again, when no new product is on the horizon, so such statistical anomalies do occur.

Having said that:
  • In the threads about the new Quartet scaler, some owners already mention that they will start selling gear to build up a fighting fund for later in the year
  • I can imagine that a few qutest owners might want to sell to start raising funds for the Suzi later in the year
  • I can imagine that now the N Hemisphere summer is starting, some qutest owners might want to sell to raise funds for summer hobbies
  • etc
It would only take one owner from each category to sell, to create the type of blip that you describe.
:relaxed:

lol yeah this seems plausible.

Also it originally caught my attention because Qutest is somewhat expensive. So chance of people impulse buy and selling it later is low.

It's like not like seeing 5 Atom Amp which is more common/normal. Qutest I find is a niche item so seeing 5 in one week is rare.

Then on the other side of extreme we sometimes see a lot of people selling Utopia which is even more expensive but somehow more common again.

Audio sure is a weird hobby........ lol.

Jun 9, 2024 at 5:41 AM Post #6,765 of 6,775
lol yeah this seems plausible.

Also it originally caught my attention because Qutest is somewhat expensive. So chance of people impulse buy and selling it later is low.

It's like not like seeing 5 Atom Amp which is more common/normal. Qutest I find is a niche item so seeing 5 in one week is rare.

Then on the other side of extreme we sometimes see a lot of people selling Utopia which is even more expensive but somehow more common again.

Audio sure is a weird hobby........ lol.
I bought the qutest new, and selling it again after 5 months. And bought a tt2+mscaler. Realizing the qutest was impulse but not where I wanted to end

Users who are viewing this thread

Back