Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Nov 17, 2019 at 6:17 AM Post #17,461 of 22,537
I suspect in some cases it might also be a psychological effect in that having to turn the volume regulator almost to max feels like underpowering
Isn't it really underpowering? If at the max volume the average SPL is comfortable listening level, where is the headroom for the transient peaks that are sometimes x30 or x40 higher in amplitude compared to the average SPL?

Nov 17, 2019 at 6:30 AM Post #17,462 of 22,537
I am in heaven with my Hugo2 direct to Nighthawks. No want for power, IMO. Transients are fast, bass slam incredible and lots of stage.

Of course I have optical DX isolation and the best quality upsampling. This shows me that Hugo2 has all the drive needed IMO, all it needs is isolation to sound it's best....not a transparency robbing external amp.

Nov 17, 2019 at 6:51 AM Post #17,463 of 22,537
Isn't it really underpowering? If at the max volume the average SPL is comfortable listening level, where is the headroom for the transient peaks that are sometimes x30 or x40 higher in amplitude compared to the average SPL?
«Max volume» means maximum undistorted (< 1% THD) output power, power peaks included. Music is alternating current of extremely fluctuating amplitudes=voltages, so «comfortable listening level» varies between 0 and xxx mW. Comfortable listening levels with the LCD-3 in my understanding won't force the Hugo₂ to clipping. Also, the average amplitude of your music is way below digital zero (save for some heavily compressed heavy metal), therefore even with a high volume-level setting power will only approach its limits during peaks.

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2019 at 11:42 AM Post #17,464 of 22,537
Gotcha, good point. Is it a consensus that the Hugo2 drives the LCD-4 to or close to its full potential?

A "consensus" would be valuable if everyone had the same brain and hearing apparatus that you do. They don't, so it isn't. If you are worried about this, then try before you buy or arrange to be able to return the item if it does not work for you.

Nov 17, 2019 at 11:52 AM Post #17,465 of 22,537
A "consensus" would be valuable if everyone had the same brain and hearing apparatus that you do. They don't, so it isn't. If you are worried about this, then try before you buy or arrange to be able to return the item if it does not work for you.
I meant the majority of owners. Anyway I was just curious, trying to understand the power ratings better. I have a Hugo 2 and an LCD-3 and I'm not considering upgrading either one currently.

Nov 18, 2019 at 1:44 PM Post #17,466 of 22,537
Does the Hugo 2 have the same output power as the original Hugo?

Thanks!

Nov 18, 2019 at 8:40 PM Post #17,467 of 22,537
Hugo 2 has more power into low impedance loads - so 8 ohms it's 1050 mW, against the original of about 750mW (if memory serves!). More importantly it's much more linear (lower distortion) into lower impedance loads, such as 33 ohms - no significant increase in distortion with the load attached. This makes it smoother and warmer with 33 ohms and below.

Nov 19, 2019 at 9:27 AM Post #17,470 of 22,537
Anybody know if the 2go will make an appearance before the end of the year - been waiting for it for ages :frowning2:
John Franks has posted few weeks ago that new product from chord will be annouced very very soon in a private show. Wondering to if its before Tokyo international audio show or not. Tokyo show is this week.

Nov 19, 2019 at 2:08 PM Post #17,471 of 22,537
John Franks has posted few weeks ago that new product from chord will be annouced very very soon in a private show. Wondering to if its before Tokyo international audio show or not. Tokyo show is this week.
Ten days ago, he mentioned a private event, and hinted a several product announcements. https://www.head-fi.org/threads/can...read-november-9-10-2019.918758/#post-15297572

Now on the Chord facebook page, there are photos and posts about the Chord global distributors attending the Phuket Conference.

[edited]
This article about the new roles for John and Matt, also mentions 'We congratulate both Matthew and John on their new appointments and are looking forward to experiencing the latest products as shown at the company's international distributor conference. Expect the first of these to appear as early as next month.'
https://www.stereonet.co.uk/news/chord-electronics-announces-senior-team-changes

So keep your eyes peeled for any news.
:slight_smile:

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2019 at 3:22 PM Post #17,472 of 22,537
Someone who assisted the event confirmed me that 2Go will be presented in December. No info about retail price yet.

In any case my concern is about software and not hardware. We know it more or less since 2018.

I really dream with a much more professional software. Something more “Apple style”. Something far away from Poly experience.

Let’s see!

Nov 19, 2019 at 6:28 PM Post #17,473 of 22,537
I am in heaven with my Hugo2 direct to Nighthawks. No want for power, IMO. Transients are fast, bass slam incredible and lots of stage.

Of course I have optical DX isolation and the best quality upsampling. This shows me that Hugo2 has all the drive needed IMO, all it needs is isolation to sound it's best....not a transparency robbing external amp.
Is that the mscaler lol?

Nov 20, 2019 at 3:15 AM Post #17,474 of 22,537
Someone who assisted the event confirmed me that 2Go will be presented in December. No info about retail price yet.

In any case my concern is about software and not hardware. We know it more or less since 2018.

I really dream with a much more professional software. Something more “Apple style”. Something far away from Poly experience.

Let’s see!

I wouldn't think it will be any different to the Poly experience, Chord is only a small company with limited software resource so I can't imagine they would throw away all the money, time and effort spent on Poly. If they did then 2Go will most likely have another completely different set of problems and issues.

I personally got myself an Xudoo X10T II, connected it to the Hugo2 with an optical cable and it just works.

Yes I'm a bit annoyed that Chord treats Android users as second class citizens, with the app issues and overall Poly experience but with counselling I think I've moved on now, maybe. :wink:

Nov 20, 2019 at 3:56 AM Post #17,475 of 22,537
does xudo stream as well? tidal?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back