Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Nov 29, 2019 at 6:41 PM Post #17,491 of 22,516
They have the Mojo heavily discounted as well.
Yes, however, no sights of any discount on the ambiguous Poly....thought I could pick one up rebated to learn and evaluate for the no show 2GO...but seem not to happen....maybe time to re-evaluate as tech moves forward afraid that if the 2Go ever gets released would already be old tech and too expensive...and the Hugo 3 around next corner etc...might be time to give this pipe dream up and just move on, happy with the CH2 but will look for alternative streaming setups and keep CH2 as my headphone couch setup...

Nov 30, 2019 at 4:10 AM Post #17,492 of 22,516
Yes, however, no sights of any discount on the ambiguous Poly....thought I could pick one up rebated to learn and evaluate for the no show 2GO...but seem not to happen....maybe time to re-evaluate as tech moves forward afraid that if the 2Go ever gets released would already be old tech and too expensive...and the Hugo 3 around next corner etc...might be time to give this pipe dream up and just move on, happy with the CH2 but will look for alternative streaming setups and keep CH2 as my headphone couch setup...
Don't get too dispirited, all the indications are that 2Go will be publicly revealed during December. https://www.head-fi.org/threads/cho...fficial-thread.831345/page-1165#post-15316733
I assume the news will come after Cyber Monday, when dealers will have cleared their shelves of old stock, and will want to refresh them with new products, ready for Christmas.

On top of that, this interview contains the statement 'you're extending it's life span', which presumably means that the CH2 is not in danger of imminent replacement.

Nov 30, 2019 at 3:34 PM Post #17,493 of 22,516
Don't get too dispirited, all the indications are that 2Go will be publicly revealed during December. https://www.head-fi.org/threads/cho...fficial-thread.831345/page-1165#post-15316733
I assume the news will come after Cyber Monday, when dealers will have cleared their shelves of old stock, and will want to refresh them with new products, ready for Christmas.

On top of that, this interview contains the statement 'you're extending it's life span', which presumably means that the CH2 is not in danger of imminent replacement.
I will hold my horses and give it 2019 before I give up hope, just wish if it materilize that it will also live up to the anticipation we all have or the dissapointment will be free fall.........

Dec 1, 2019 at 12:22 PM Post #17,496 of 22,516
Wow, does this mean the Hugo 3 is almost here?
I doubt it because of the references to Hugo 2 in this interview , including the statement 'you're extending it's life span'.
It would be a strange strategy to launch the 2Go, and at the same time stop shipping the Hugo 2.
On the other side of the argument, the Hugo 2 has been shipping for two and a half years, and Chord have surprised us all on a few occasions in the past.

Hopefully all will be revealed in the next few days. :slight_smile:

Dec 1, 2019 at 12:57 PM Post #17,497 of 22,516
Hugo 2 with Black Friday discount in France €1890.
Nice price, though I bought my CH2 from this Italian site for xxxxxxx this was with xxxx discount for signing up to their newsletter and 1st purchase discount, worthwhile checking with them, good customer service too, see the Mojo for a good price too....would buy if didn't already have one, cheapest I have seen and worth the price tag for sure...

”price deleted as requested by vendor”

https://www.audioimpact.it/it/convertitori-dac/1516-chord-mojo-5060295370016.html

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2019 at 2:57 PM Post #17,499 of 22,516
I have a Hugo2 - for daily headphone listening and its battery makes it perfect for moving it about for testing, etc. ... and TT2 - permanently fixed to my main loudspeaker listening setup. Because headphones - even my baseline Nighthawks - can resolve so much more than even my Voxativ speakers, i get as much enjoyment from Hugo2 as I do TT2. In fact for the asking prices new or used they are the biggest bargain in high-end audio.

Dec 1, 2019 at 3:40 PM Post #17,500 of 22,516
Dan, Maybe its time to get better speakers? :smile::smile::smile::smile:

Dec 1, 2019 at 4:23 PM Post #17,501 of 22,516
Dan, Maybe its time to get better speakers? :smile::smile::smile::smile:
Headphone drivers are single, full range and stunningly good. I'm just waiting for any of the manufacturers to scale up their size to suit floor stander cabinets. Right now, IMO, voxativ and their Ilk are pretty good but, yeah, when the orchestra gets going ...I yearn for more separation

Dec 1, 2019 at 5:04 PM Post #17,502 of 22,516
Not sure this is the best place to seek a answer or not for my question, but with the h2 being portable i figure people would be more in line with my system mindset than traditional pc desktop systems. Ive found that using a ipod/ipad/iphone via a cck hub >dac>amp is far better than my laptop. So my question is what gains in say jitter performance would something like a SoTm or ultrarendu give opposed to my current setup?

Dec 1, 2019 at 5:54 PM Post #17,504 of 22,516
Not sure this is the best place to seek a answer or not for my question, but with the h2 being portable i figure people would be more in line with my system mindset than traditional pc desktop systems. Ive found that using a ipod/ipad/iphone via a cck hub >dac>amp is far better than my laptop. So my question is what gains in say jitter performance would something like a SoTm or ultrarendu give opposed to my current setup?
Chord dacs have good anti-jitter-technology apparently, so it may not be jitter that is the important difference, wish I knew more about it.

Dec 1, 2019 at 6:14 PM Post #17,505 of 22,516
Headphone drivers are single, full range and stunningly good. I'm just waiting for any of the manufacturers to scale up their size to suit floor stander cabinets. Right now, IMO, voxativ and their Ilk are pretty good but, yeah, when the orchestra gets going ...I yearn for more separation
I completely agree with you but for slightly different reasons. That's why I'm not convinced that you'll ever get the floorstanding speakers you yearn for. First, I do think there is significant transmission loss in sound quality once you pass a Chord DAC signal to additional electronics. Sadly, or fortunately, when we are enjoying the music, sometimes we just don't pay attention to these differences. I had the Mojo & DAVE for over a year and while I can tell the difference between the two, I used to think the difference is not dramatic but the more I understand the differences and knew what to listen for, I eventually become much more sensitive to the differences. That is not to say that I don't love listening to Mojo in isolation. It's just that in an A/B test, I can pick up the differences a lot better.
But the real challenge for a speaker system is that as you said, it's difficult to get full-range. I don't think a single driver full-range speaker with a neutral frequency response will exist in our lifetime (with enough excursion and dynamic range and without significant distortion). As a result, we are always going to deal with analog crossovers which would also add to the loss of transparency.
However, I think the reality is that it is extremely difficult to get a room setup where we get a neutral frequency response without bass peaks. As a result, you're either going to have to accept some sort of DSP to tune out the uneven bass which adds more loss or you're going to have to accept a suboptimal frequency response in the bass region which also would be inferior to headphones.
My take is that headphones listening vs loudspeaker listening is about a different set of compromises (transparency vs soundstage) and one can argue that's true for most of our audiophilia (e.g. cost vs quality, portability vs sound quality). I think it comes down to the compromises we are willing to accept. And truth be told, the less we know, the less we can hear, sometimes the happier we can be. For me, once I have optimized the tuning of my system, once the music starts, I just try to enjoy the music and not think too hard about these compromises.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back