Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Dec 6, 2019 at 1:22 AM Post #17,521 of 22,475
Thanks for the responses! I'm pretty sure it's legit. We'll see tomorrow!

Dec 6, 2019 at 2:53 AM Post #17,522 of 22,475
Hi!

I bought a brand-new Hugo 2 on eBay. It's scheduled to arrive tomorrow.

Do you have any advice on how I can determine if it's genuine Chord? I was going to do the usual things: register the DAC with Chord; compare the packaging and content with unboxings on YouTube.

Any other suggestions? Have you ever heard of counterfeit Chord products?

Thanks!
Very simple to find out. Call Chord Electronics in UK and tell them the serial number.

Dec 6, 2019 at 2:18 PM Post #17,523 of 22,475
Very simple to find out. Call Chord Electronics in UK and tell them the serial number.
Yes, always going to be the simplest and quickest way to settle the question.

It is true that there have been photos of maybe two or three owners who have had new metal cases made (eg copper alloy), so that they could transfer the circuit boards from their existing Hugo 2, and achieve personal unique bespoke Hugo 2s. However they have been fully open about these mods, and published photos, so there was never any attempt to try and fool buyers.

Dec 6, 2019 at 2:28 PM Post #17,524 of 22,475
Yes, always going to be the simplest and quickest way to settle the question.

It is true that there have been photos of maybe two or three owners who have had new metal cases made (eg copper alloy), so that they could transfer the circuit boards from their existing Hugo 2, and achieve personal unique bespoke Hugo 2s. However they have been fully open about these mods, and published photos, so there was never any attempt to try and fool buyers.

Thanks! I contacted Chord directly and they said pretty much the same thing: take a photo of the s/n and email it to them.

It's good to know that forgery is unlikely. What raised concerns with me is that a lot of the units available on eBay are shipped from China. It just seemed unlikely. I would have figured most Hugos end up in Europe or the US. My unit is shopping from Las Vegas, USA. But, nevertheless, ...

Dec 6, 2019 at 4:03 PM Post #17,526 of 22,475
Dec 6, 2019 at 4:12 PM Post #17,527 of 22,475
Dec 6, 2019 at 4:52 PM Post #17,528 of 22,475
I might get a good hiding for my approach, but I never really understood folks who go crazy about measurements. Measurements that mostly show inaudible differences.
My approach might be called ignorant or 'audio peasant approach' but I always just followed my ears and bought what sounded the best for me. That's how I ended up buying a TT2 for a ridiculous amount of money. Because it sounds better than any other combo I have ever heard under 4K.
Why make your life harder with measurements? It is hard enough. Just pick what sounds good to you.

Dec 6, 2019 at 7:02 PM Post #17,529 of 22,475
What do you think?
You got me started......No would not say snake oil though in high end hifi there is a dominance of this some times which I for sure believe is there because there is always someone who would pay for a cryo cable for USD/Euro 8,000 or whatever...we just have to read multiple reviews, listen and decide for ourself, myself cannot afford snake oil products or to be fooled by it, to poor to fall for that so have to be critical, that said I am sure there is Chi-Fi which are very good and well made and have perfect measurements, and they are very good at copy and paste andl earning quickly... myself love audio science review and read it almost daily or at least weekly, this does not mean I would only look at highest measured devices only, there us so much more when it comes to musicality and personal preference, not defending Chord as such but love my CH2 so far and also my Mojo... but they are made in UK and that will naturally cost more but you can trust their warranty, quality built and also they are active in this forum daily which is a major plus if someone has any questions, Ofc if you are on a budget please go for it and try Topping headphone amps/DAC's or Matrix stuff, I wouldl ove to test and compoare but since I could afford a CH2 after enjoying my mojo for 3-4years with my hd800 I don ot regret going for a "safe bet" as I didnot want to continue collecting additional portable dacs...have the centrance m8 and the mojo and needed something could use as dual, both permanent weekdays with my ESL2905 and weekend warriror duty with my HD800(I know abt time upgrade,...please advise top 5 headphones made in heaven fort he CH2...anyone?)

After a long elaboration, no it is not snake oil,100% accuracy is great measurement but when you listen and the music just sounds fantastic detail,transparency,depth and instrument placement with and smooth treble and tight bottom end (with the right recording though.)... it is one of those hifi fi moments you forget what gear you have and just enjoy, then when that happens I am just happy audiophile/enthusiast,and IMHO ALL THEhigh def galore which is great what Chordh ave managed in addition to make HD music sound natural and engaging they make Red book CD that is from my 90's collectionsound great and also make streaming 16/44sound excellent and natural via TIDAand Qobuz, even without the MQA decoding, natively 24/96max with MQA and my comparison with Qobusz between 24/96 Tidal and 24/192 Qobuz I have difficulties in blind test to tell any difference either via coax or toslink out from my Node 2i or my MacBookpro (2015)with Curious cable usb and AQ jitterbug(aware again not audio science review recommended item but certain albums sound bit darker with less upper end treblewith the hd800 whitch can sometimes be a goodthing, but only via usb on my laptop, in other tries with usb no benefit...

Sorry all for long post,my longest so far....:)

Dec 6, 2019 at 9:37 PM Post #17,530 of 22,475
You got me started......No would not say snake oil though in high end hifi there is a dominance of this some times which I for sure believe is there because there is always someone who would pay for a cryo cable for USD/Euro 8,000 or whatever...we just have to read multiple reviews, listen and decide for ourself, myself cannot afford snake oil products or to be fooled by it, to poor to fall for that so have to be critical, that said I am sure there is Chi-Fi which are very good and well made and have perfect measurements, and they are very good at copy and paste andl earning quickly... myself love audio science review and read it almost daily or at least weekly, this does not mean I would only look at highest measured devices only, there us so much more when it comes to musicality and personal preference, not defending Chord as such but love my CH2 so far and also my Mojo... but they are made in UK and that will naturally cost more but you can trust their warranty, quality built and also they are active in this forum daily which is a major plus if someone has any questions, Ofc if you are on a budget please go for it and try Topping headphone amps/DAC's or Matrix stuff, I wouldl ove to test and compoare but since I could afford a CH2 after enjoying my mojo for 3-4years with my hd800 I don ot regret going for a "safe bet" as I didnot want to continue collecting additional portable dacs...have the centrance m8 and the mojo and needed something could use as dual, both permanent weekdays with my ESL2905 and weekend warriror duty with my HD800(I know abt time upgrade,...please advise top 5 headphones made in heaven fort he CH2...anyone?)

After a long elaboration, no it is not snake oil,100% accuracy is great measurement but when you listen and the music just sounds fantastic detail,transparency,depth and instrument placement with and smooth treble and tight bottom end (with the right recording though.)... it is one of those hifi fi moments you forget what gear you have and just enjoy, then when that happens I am just happy audiophile/enthusiast,and IMHO ALL THEhigh def galore which is great what Chordh ave managed in addition to make HD music sound natural and engaging they make Red book CD that is from my 90's collectionsound great and also make streaming 16/44sound excellent and natural via TIDAand Qobuz, even without the MQA decoding, natively 24/96max with MQA and my comparison with Qobusz between 24/96 Tidal and 24/192 Qobuz I have difficulties in blind test to tell any difference either via coax or toslink out from my Node 2i or my MacBookpro (2015)with Curious cable usb and AQ jitterbug(aware again not audio science review recommended item but certain albums sound bit darker with less upper end treblewith the hd800 whitch can sometimes be a goodthing, but only via usb on my laptop, in other tries with usb no benefit...

Sorry all for long post,my longest so far....:)
Hugo 2 and mojo measurements by asr are no way poor or lesser. They hate chord products but still they praised a lot qutest for it's impeccable measurements. Hugo 2 and mojo both measured by other websites also and those measurements are certainly different and better than asr's, so don't go everytime by what asr says.

Dec 7, 2019 at 12:17 AM Post #17,531 of 22,475
For those interested, my (eBay-bought) new Hugo 2 arrived today. It looks 100% legit, and I was able to register it on the Chord website.

It sounds great, too :) out of my shure se846. Can't wait to hear my new (b stock) LCD-i4 through the Hugo 2 when the IEMs come tomorrow

Last thing, the filters are great, though I prefer it on neutral. Not a fan of the cross-fade.

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2019 at 3:36 AM Post #17,533 of 22,475
For those interested, my (eBay-bought) new Hugo 2 arrived today. It looks 100% legit, and I was able to register it on the Chord website.

It sounds great, too :) out of my shure se846. Can't wait to hear my new (b stock) LCD-i4 through the Hugo 2 when the IEMs come tomorrow

Last thing, the filters are great, though I prefer it on neutral. Not a fan of the cross-fade.

the i4 and the Hugo2 sound superb to my ears! I suspect you’ll enjoy the pairing.

Dec 7, 2019 at 4:47 PM Post #17,535 of 22,475
I'd have to say that if you're a fan of the HD800 FR/tonality but want a little more meat on the bones then Utopia is a great choice. It loses a bit on staging size, but what it lacks there it makes up for in every other aspect (IMO).

Sorry for late reply, missed your feedback......

How is the Empyrean in comparison? Also the LCD4 comes recommended but apparently darker sound signature and rolled off up top but perfect bottom end but maybe to hard to drive with CH2, whish there was a perfect match made in heaven.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back