Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Dec 9, 2019 at 7:03 PM Post #17,551 of 22,467
Does anyone else's hugo2 have a slight hairline gap at the back near the analog out port where the two halves of the case meet? I loosened the screws around the backside to see if I could press it down and it seems as though the analog out ports are exerting vertical pressure on the case, keeping it from closing all the way. I may be freaking out about nothing as this may be totally normal, just wondering.

This is normal for Hugo2, don't worry.

Dec 10, 2019 at 6:45 AM Post #17,552 of 22,467
Dec 10, 2019 at 11:58 AM Post #17,553 of 22,467
Looks like Chord have missed the bus for releasing 2go this year and catching the xmas buying bonanza on the run up to xmas day.

Dec 10, 2019 at 12:41 PM Post #17,556 of 22,467
Looks like Chord have missed the bus for releasing 2go this year and catching the xmas buying bonanza on the run up to xmas day.
I cant understand that too. WHY wait and delay so long. Some said that it will be very soon and on the beginning of the december...but seems its never gona happen. Like it was supposed to be launched last year?? And if it gonna be like with Huawei sorry Huei, that after launch actualy you were able to buy it just NOW. 6months from annoucment. Thats too long everybody forgot that. Hope 2go will be available in the market immediately.

Dec 10, 2019 at 12:50 PM Post #17,557 of 22,467

Although still only a prototype,and not for sale this Christmas either,
the upcoming Shanling M30 could be an interesting alternative for an all in one portable unit if its SQ is at least as good as say H2 without an added MScaler.
Rumours are indicating that it will be a smaller more portable alternative to Sony's DMPZ1 which bulky and super expensive as it is, at least held its own quite well against a NON mscaled TT2 during some comparsions I made earlier this year.
Adding the Mscaler was a different story though.

It seems Chord has missed the train again?

If on the other hand, they could build an all in one unit with an inbuilt Mscaler onboard they would have my interest for sure.
But judging by what Rob has posted here recently that seems VERY FAR away, if ever?

I am still trying to understand why it is so impossible for Chord to put both a music-player unit and an Mscaler upscaler in ONE and the same body?
As I see it some kind of mini built in Faraday cage for the FPGA seems like all that is needed?
Correct me if I'm wrong.
The Shanling M30 ,at least looking at it from a build point of view seems like a VERY smart way to build DAPs to me.

Easily exhangeable building blocks that CAN be upgraded and exhanged by the owner seems like the smartest and most user-friendly moves I seen in many years from an audio company.

Very different from Chord Hugo 1 an 2!

Well at least Chord learnt the lesson with the batttery in H2.
But they still don't seem to know how to deliver what a lot of of people actually want, an All In One high SQ portable DAP.

Is China where really creative things actually happen?

PS Having said all this, I really like my Mscaler. But it is a beast to travel with!
Cheers CC

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2019 at 1:26 PM Post #17,558 of 22,467
Although still only a prototype,and not for sale this Christmas either,
the upcoming Shanling M30 could be an interesting alternative for an all in one portable unit if its SQ is at least as good as say H2 without an added MScaler.
Rumours are indicating that it will be a smaller more portable alternative to Sony's DMPZ1 which bulky and super expensive as it is, at least held its own quite well against a NON mscaled TT2 during some comparsions I made earlier this year.
Adding the Mscaler was a different story though.

It seems Chord has missed the train again?

PS Having said all this, I really like my Mscaler. But it is a beast to travel with!
Cheers CC

I share the frustrations and found the new thread on the Shanling M30 intriguing.

2Go

My priority for the 2Go is SD Card over streaming & I don’t want to be beholden to 3rd party apps which may come & go.

having said that —-

John is a really smart man, audiophile extraordinaire, music fan, creative designer and one who has his ears open to Chord’s customer base.

Therefore—-

I imagine that the day after I purchase the M30, 2Go is released to rave reviews and John addresses the delay and how well it worked to the favor of advanced technology, glitch resolution, etc.

patience, frustration, patience...

I don’t know if the glass is half full or half empty.

Dec 10, 2019 at 2:51 PM Post #17,559 of 22,467
I share the frustrations and found the new thread on the Shanling M30 intriguing.

2Go

My priority for the 2Go is SD Card over streaming & I don’t want to be beholden to 3rd party apps which may come & go.

having said that —-

John is a really smart man, audiophile extraordinaire, music fan, creative designer and one who has his ears open to Chord’s customer base.

Therefore—-

I imagine that the day after I purchase the M30, 2Go is released to rave reviews and John addresses the delay and how well it worked to the favor of advanced technology, glitch resolution, etc.

patience, frustration, patience...

I don’t know if the glass is half full or half empty.

Hello,
like you,my priority for any such toy would definitely be SD card and/or inbuilt SSD large capacity over ANY streaming function.
Platforms come and go, but stored music can both be safety copied and mostly relied on to work when you need it.
To mention just one such streaming platform, Qobuz was VERY near going bust not long ago, so those who mainly rely on such platforms for their music listening are taking some risks imho.
And streaming SQ is not always anything to cheer at.
In my case I have to admit I am re-discovering the vast treasure trove of good recordings on CD thanks to my Mscaler.
I had not bought a cd for some 20 years before getting my Mscaler, and now I buy often good second hand cds at super-bargain prices on an almost weekly basis from thrift shops.
And borrow others for free from the library.
Almost the only time really that I stream music is when you guys upload concerts, mainly from Youtube.
Nice one from Vienna!
Thanks!
For the first time in over 15 years I am still at home in Sweden this time of the year. And after beautiful winter day with fresh snow I have just poured myself a glass of Glühwein so my glass is actually full.
Cheers CC

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2019 at 3:15 PM Post #17,560 of 22,467
Hello,
like you,my priority for any such toy would definitely be SD card and/or inbuilt SSD large capacity over ANY streaming function.
Platforms come and go, but stored music can both be safety copied and mostly relied on to work when you need it.
To mention just one such streaming platform, Qobuz was VERY near going bust not long ago, so those who mainly rely on such platforms for their music listening are taking some risks imho.
And streaming SQ is not always anything to cheer at.
In my case I have to admit I am re-discovering the vast treasure trove of good recordings on CD thanks to my Mscaler.
I had not bought a cd for some 20 years before getting my Mscaler, and now I buy often good second hand cds at super-bargain prices on an almost weekly basis from trhift shops.
And borrow others for free from the library.
Almost the only time really that I stream music is when you guys upload concerts, mainly from Youtube.
Nice one from Vienna!
Thanks!
For the first time in over 15 years I am still at home in Sweden this time of the year. And after beautiful winter day with fresh snow I have just poured myself a glass of Glühwein so my glass is actually full.
Cheers CC

for the past 12 months, I’ve used Qobuz discount to build my own library of music.

I’ve got too much!

I switched (beginning next month) to the discounted monthly but it still feels odd to me to rent music.

the files and Hugo 2 go well together. 2Go would be such a complement for my portable use.

the wine & early snow with good music?

priceless.

Dec 12, 2019 at 10:01 AM Post #17,564 of 22,467
I am starting to think that Chord is going to loose the December campaign with 2Go.

If you want to release 2Go and get orders taking the most of the end of the year you must have units in stock in the distributors ready for dispatching no later than this week.

And I am pretty sure that it is not going to be the case.

So let’s start to put or minds in another mood and think in pre-orders or something similar.

And believe me, I really want to be wrong :)

Dec 12, 2019 at 10:47 AM Post #17,565 of 22,467
A digital source that is proximate to a DAC and also galvanically connected is a double bugaboo for sound quality. Okay, I purchased a Rob Watts DAC exclusively for the superior sound and I use my Hugo2 100% in desktop mode. In my considered opinion, the best interface is optical(Toslink) and the best source is one that is far far away - right to the 5meters max (if you can get a Toslink cable to reliably pass 192khz). 2Go may have benefits for portability, etc. but i can't imagine it's doing the sound any favours.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back