Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Oct 31, 2019 at 5:03 PM Post #17,356 of 22,516
Last post on this thread before going on hiatus till Hugo₃ launch.

Very happy with the outcome of this just completed summer project. I cannot believe the RBCD experience with this source. It's like having a SOTM SMS-200 in a portable form or having a dedicated CD player as a source. Hans B. mentions this solution does compete pound4pound with the SMS-200. Source matters.

Reminder that I'm working within the constraints of being able to fit everything in a running belt (transportable).

I tried to lower the footprint even further with another rPi0 product, but unfortunately did not produce the same sound results. I'll save that and a Lifatec POF for a Mojo₂.

Loving the rPi 3A+ as it's the same size as a regular rPi HAT thus lowering the footprint dramatically without sacrificing processing power so I don't put pressure on the Lifatec glass optical cable as I did with a full-size rPi.

Good luck everyone with the 2Go. Hope it performs well and sw/hw bugs are limited. I'm good with this solution so bypassing 2go.

Till Hugo₃....

compare.png
tilt.png
hf.png
jb.png
qut.png

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2019 at 10:01 AM Post #17,358 of 22,516
This is a weird one......

Just swapped RCA cables to some WyWires Blue. When I hooked them up to my Hugo 2 from my Matrix Audio Mini-I Power Amp there was very loud speaker hum.

I then set the H2 to line level mode and the hum was all gone.

Any idea why just using different cables would cause this?

Just a little frustrating as I like to power on/off with the remote - but don't think I can set Line Level without physically using the buttons?

Nov 1, 2019 at 1:56 PM Post #17,359 of 22,516
I just learned that mojo-poly does not have eq functionality (in the phone app) playing music from sd card... So likely 2go won't have it either. That's a major deal breaker for me.

Nov 1, 2019 at 5:47 PM Post #17,360 of 22,516
I have noticed that even if I leave the CH2 plugged in, it still shuts off after 15 min of idle time, hence it never enters desktop mode!
Anyone who have same experience or feedback if I am doing somthing wrong, using stock walwart.....

Nov 2, 2019 at 7:00 AM Post #17,361 of 22,516
I have noticed that even if I leave the CH2 plugged in, it still shuts off after 15 min of idle time, hence it never enters desktop mode!
Anyone who have same experience or feedback if I am doing somthing wrong, using stock walwart.....

I think that's normal and OK. After 24 hours of constant charging it will still switch to desktop mode.

bit.PNG

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2019 at 11:36 AM Post #17,363 of 22,516
I hope Ike1985 gets his Hugo2 issues resolved. Really good poster and valuable member on this site. Hope someone at Chord can step in and offer some assistance, but understand hands are tied on both sides since this is 2nd hand.
All this discussion about Chord warranty got me super paranoid as I have a lot of Chord products. So I went back to read the policy on their website and here are some quotes:
Chord Electronics retailer and is transferable to a new owner providing that the original purchase receipt is provided and that the product was new and was not a reconditioned, demonstration or ex-display model, however.
Naturally, Chord Electronics will not cover the repair of a fault caused by partnering equipment, acts of God, incorrect handling, rough shipping or any unfortunate accidents, such as liquid spillages.

I don't know what circumstances @Ike1985 Chord Hugo 2 led to the malfunction and how he? got the product used. I suspect a loose screw is probably due to "incorrect handling" unless Chord really had the screw loose on shipping two years ago and it finally came loose? Not sure.
On the other hand, I do think mobile products should be able to take a little bit of banging about inside our bags.

Nov 2, 2019 at 11:47 AM Post #17,364 of 22,516
I'm personally quite confused by desktop mode but I don't use it so I don't know. I wish someone would clarify more.
Because I just assumed to go into Desktop mode, the battery would be kept at say 85% charge. So I presume you have to discharge the battery to say yellow or green? and then you would plug the Hugo 2 into the charger and leave the Hugo 2 on? And then do you have to keep playing music or not? Not sure. I just assumed if you do that, eventually the battery will get charged to 85%? and then stay in Desktop mode and won't automatically shut off?
Because I assume that if your Hugo 2 is fully charged in blue, it will never go into Desktop mode even if you keep it plugged in for 24 hours and it'll shutdown on its own. But honestly, I have no idea.

Planning a trip and debating whether to Aeon Flow Closed/Shure SE535LTD + Hugo 2/Mojo since I also want to bring my camera stuff in my portable bag. Doing some listening comparisons. I know. First world problems.

Nov 2, 2019 at 2:45 PM Post #17,365 of 22,516
I use H2 in desktop mode always with mscaler. Just plug it in and leave it 24 hrs on or off. Next time you turn it on... violet light. Voila - desktop mode. Thereafter at each turn on as long as remains plugged in, it will be violet. (My colour description).

Nov 2, 2019 at 4:49 PM Post #17,366 of 22,516
I use H2 in desktop mode always with mscaler. Just plug it in and leave it 24 hrs on or off. Next time you turn it on... violet light. Voila - desktop mode. Thereafter at each turn on as long as remains plugged in, it will be violet. (My colour description).
Manyt hanks alloryourfeedback

Many thanks all for your feedback, I was/am a bit confused regarding the Desktop mode as the CH2 does switches off after 15 min idle, thought it would be constant on when plugged in, but will check again tomorrow night when it has been on charge for 24hrs if when I then switch back on there will be a purple light......?

Nov 2, 2019 at 7:13 PM Post #17,368 of 22,516
Manyt hanks alloryourfeedback

Many thanks all for your feedback, I was/am a bit confused regarding the Desktop mode as the CH2 does switches off after 15 min idle, thought it would be constant on when plugged in, but will check again tomorrow night when it has been on charge for 24hrs if when I then switch back on there will be a purple light......?

From what I can remember, hugo 2 turns itself off after 15 minutes if no signal is detected, thats if the the charger is not connected and turned on. If the charger is turned on, the light will stay white, after 24 hours it will turn a pink colour. I sold mine earlier this year and took a brain fart a couple weeks ago, so I'm not 100% on how it all goes, but its something like that.

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2019 at 9:37 PM Post #17,369 of 22,516
From what I can remember, hugo 2 turns itself off after 15 minutes if no signal is detected, thats if the the charger is not connected and turned on. If the charger is turned on, the light will stay white, after 24 hours it will turn a pink colour. I sold mine earlier this year and took a brain fart a couple weeks ago, so I'm not 100% on how it all goes, but its something like that.

Well this is exactly as I expected it to be, however, even if on charger, lets say at night going to bed and I listen to music and then it would still shut down after music completed after abt 15 min of silence..., I thought the whole idea of desktop mode it would be on constantly on but not affecting the battery if on the charger..! However feedback above says that even if plugged in and idle for more than 15' it will shut off and then if turned on again after 24 hrs the purple light would go on and indicate desktop mode...?

Would be happy if there is any experience and feedback on this and others with the same issue or confusion that could be cleared...?

Nov 2, 2019 at 9:47 PM Post #17,370 of 22,516
Also, Chord company, Rob Watts and CO....... what's up with some feedback on the highly anticipated 2GO...will Santa fill our stockings or do we have to wait for Brexit in Jan and additional taxes EU side and March end of accounting year closing b4 we see the day of light of the streaming piggy backpack of CH2?

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back