1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE

Discussion in 'High-end Audio Forum' started by magiccabbage, May 14, 2015.
Tags:
First

Back
903 904 905 906 907 908 909 910 911 912
914 915 916 917 918 919 920 921 922 923
Next

Last
  1. Foxman50
    If you do get an answer to your question please kindly share as i would be most interested.

2. Triode User
    I'll PM.

3. hieukm
    I think many user would like to know possible modification done to Dave PSU. Please kindly share publicly even it affiliated to some shop.

llamaluv likes this.
  4. iDesign
    The uncertainty in how Chord would or would not handle an out of warranty repair on a modified DAVE would give me pause. I have yet to see anyone who photographed the process or posted measurements that substantiate the benefits-- its easier to screw up a perfectly good DAC than to improve it.

5. Triode User
    @hieukm PM sent.

@iDesign Sure, one has to be under no illusion here. If you take the top off then you are on your own. For that reason I do not expect public sharing of what people have done and is why I am conducting discussion by PM.

6. thomaskong78
    I agree with this opinion.

HD800s driven by Dave and Mscaler does not give any harsh edge.

Its spatial que is so excellent that I enjoy listening to opera or musical through this comination.

Abyss phi CC driven by Dave direct give very transparent sound but not with enough impact.

It seems that Abyss phi CC need more power.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2019
  7. holeout
    I'm definitely interested in your findings on the Dave PSU, please share your findings. Much appreciated!

8. Jawed
    I was at Nintronics all day yesterday listening to speakers, fed from Aurender -> USB -> M Scaler -> dual-BNC (stock? looked like stock) -> DAVE.

We had exactly the same problem. Occasional clicks in just the right channel (usually gaps of 20 or 30 seconds between clicks).

This was the final "best" setup, using the pair of BNC inputs on the rear of DAVE closest to the DX outputs, which I believe are inputs 3 and 4. In the other BNC sockets (1/2 it seems) the problem was worse.

When I was last at Nintronics, back in April, their DAVE and M Scaler had none of these problems. Simon at Nintronics thinks that their M Scaler is new and it seems probable their DAVE is not the one I listened to earlier in the year as they tend to sell their dem Chord gear frequently as far as I can tell.

So Rob, it might be an idea if Matt contacts Nintronics to debug their M Scaler + DAVE combination since it has the same problem, and it will be easier to access!

Feel free to mention me by name in relation to this problem.

bidn likes this.
  9. Drewligarchy
    Quick question. Using Dave's preamp, what decibel level is associated with 1 volt? My amp has an input sensitivity of 1 volt, so want to set this appropriately for obvious reasons.

Edit: With M Scaler

10. rkt31
    Change your amp to benchmark ahb2, it allows much higher input sensitivity.

11. Drewligarchy
    Ok - if I had an audio store that might be easy.

with M scaler and an amp with 1 volt input sensitivity, where should I set Dave to optimally drive it?

12. rkt31
    1v should be light blue. If you have an integrated amp, 1v or 2v won't matter much as the input to integrated amp first goes through volume pot. But if you plan to feed to a power amp directly then more than 1v would give you clipping and in any case you wouldn't be able to reach 1v in Dave as 1v in that power amp would give full rated output.

Drewligarchy likes this.
  13. Drewligarchy
    It's a headphone amp via single ended. If I am using Dave as a preamp, I am trying to figure out what is the decibel level I shouldn't exceed - in terms of gain staging appropriately as sometimes I use the preamp and sometimes I use the volume pot.

14. llamaluv
    The DAVE outputs 3V single-ended when the volume is set to -3dB. You're trying to decrease the output by a factor of 3 because the amp's input sensitivity is 1V. This means decreasing the digital volume control by -10dB. But the M-Scaler decreases the input signal by -3dB, so add 3dB back on, which gives a final answer of -10dB. Pretty sure that's right...

Rob Watts and Drewligarchy like this.
  15. JaZZ Contributor
    «Definition. Input sensitivity is the signal level at the input that is needed to drive an amplifier up to its full capability, to just before clip, into a stated, nominal impedance, often 8 ohms.»

So it makes no sense to limit the DAVE's output to 1 volt, unless you're super cautious.

First

Back
903 904 905 906 907 908 909 910 911 912
914 915 916 917 918 919 920 921 922 923
Next

Last