1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE

Discussion in 'High-end Audio Forum' started by magiccabbage, May 14, 2015.
Tags:
First

Back
901 902 903 904 905 906 907 908 909 910
912 913 914 915 916 917 918 919 920 921
Next

Last
  1. miketlse
    Yes John did state that the digital amps were still a few years away https://www.head-fi.org/threads/chord-electronics-dave.766517/page-806#post-14442312
    You get a hint of the Rob + John relationship in this post

To me, it feels similar to a Technology Readiness Level (TRL) pyramid:
    Rob Watts design pyramid.jpg
    Rob probably discusses many TRL 1 ideas with John (including digital amps, davina, mscalers, dacs, etc).
    It is still unclear whether the digital amps have reached TRL 2 yet.
    However what is clear is that for Chord, 2019 which is their 30th anniversary, has been focused on analogue products (especially analogue amplifiers).
    Maybe this has allowed Rob a clear 12 months, to focus on his new digital product designs.
    Release timeline.jpg

2. Mikey99
    I had a similar issue, frequent drop outs and very sensitive to cable movement (but not pops and clicks as you describe). At first I thought it was the cables. After much detective work it was clearly a DAVE issue. I had my Dave replaced under warranty. Apparently some Daves are sensitive to timing between the two BNC connections in dual BNC mode. This can also be fixed via software, but in the factory.

In my case the issue was only there if I used USB on the HMS. No issue at all if I used optical. I did not have pops and clicks as you describe, just frequent drop-outs.

If you search my posts in the m-scaler thread you will find more details. There is a reply from Rob Watts on the issue as well confirming the above.

EndGameSearch likes this.
  3. Sonic77
    [​IMG]

What a set up, needed to be matching colors though.

Deftone and ZappaMan like this.
  4. Triode User
    There is a video here of the show system sounding pretty fine . . . .

Sonic77 likes this.
  5. Sonic77
    Thanks, love Kef speakers too! The speaker cables are way too short. :)

6. Triode User
    Yeah, they were not taking chances that the cables might not reach the speakers were they!!

These on the other hand are my own properly short speaker cables . . . . .

IMG_0904.jpg

muski, Paul Bjernklo and Sonic77 like this.
  7. nbarnard36
    I have been instructed (based on listening tests) speaker wire should be 8' minimum for sound (timing?) reasons, and always the same length for both channels.

Though admittedly the listening tests were not my own...

8. AndrewOld
    If someone told me that I wouldn’t believe them. Some naim amplifiers need at least 8’ of naim speaker cable to avoid instability, but that’s their problem.

Triode User likes this.
  9. Triode User
    I once spent a whole day at a cable manufacturer listening to all their speaker cables. The 1m ones were by far the best. My own experiments at home backed that up when I tried 2m, 1m and 70cm versions of the same cable. I trust my own ears, not what someone else says I’m afraid. :grinning:

Ps, if longer speaker cables were better or if there was a minimum recommended length, how would that work with active speakers such as my ATC actives which have the amplifiers in the speaker cabinets and therefore ultra short cables? The answer is of course that there is no minimum recommended length.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2019
    jacc likes this.
  10. Amberlamps
    What a waste of money.

It's times like this that I pat myself on the back and congratulate myself for not becoming an audiophile. Phew, I dodged that bullet.

And if I'm honest, that setup is a complete mess.

11. Sonic77
    LOL!

Amberlamps likes this.
  12. STR-1
    On cable length, I wonder whether the 1m Chord Company umbilicals between the two Statement boxes bring any benefit compared to the also available 0.5m Chord cables, which are said to be better than the standard short cables supplied with that server.

13. Deftone
    Didnt you get the Dave in the end then?

14. EndGameSearch
    Mike99 - Thanks for the post. I had tested everything related to Dave's bnc inputs, but I had not thought to try a different input connection type with my hugo m scaler. With the m-scaler fed by USB, Dave's bnc connections 1 and 2 are complete garbage. The music constantly drops in and out and there is a static / clicking / crackling noise, primarily in the right channel. With bnc connections 1 and 2 it's the issue is much less dramatic, but it's still there with a clicking / popping noise any where from every few seconds to every minute or two at best. With the m-scaler fed via BNC, Dave no longer has any issues with bnc 1, 2, 3 or 4. I don't understand why it would make a difference, but it clearly does. I'll be sending my new dave in for repair or replacement.

@Rob Watts I'd appreciate your input on this post as well as the post Mikey99 first responded to. Thank you....

15. Amberlamps
    Nope.

After a lot of pissing about, I decided I didn't need another lump of metal costing thousands sitting on my desk.

I'm just not that anal / into music to worry about if I can hear some dudes fingerprints on guitar strings in 3d etc etc.

I just don't get it and I doubt I ever will, as when I listen to music, usually I sit back and enjoy it instead of trying to pick it apart.

In other words, I couldn't give a schiit.

First

Back
901 902 903 904 905 906 907 908 909 910
912 913 914 915 916 917 918 919 920 921
Next

Last