CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Aug 24, 2018 at 10:26 AM Post #12,076 of 25,821
I have recently ordered a Dave and pre ordered an M<scaler, I currently have the chord integrated 2650 amp, but reading the last few posts just wondering would I be better off trading in my amp for a dedicated power amp and using the preamp built in to the dave? Would the preamp section within my 2650 be better than that in the Dave?
The analog output of Dave is better than any preamp sell your integrated amp and buy an etude or Spectral amp!

Aug 24, 2018 at 10:28 AM Post #12,077 of 25,821
Bypassing the preamp – for the most direct signal path – offers the objectively highest sound quality and is the only logical solution. BTW, there's no «preamp» in the DAVE, just a line out with digital volume control.

The Chord Étude looks interesting, but if you have the patience and want near-perfection, wait for Rob's «DX»/PowerPulse amp!

Aug 24, 2018 at 10:34 AM Post #12,078 of 25,821
Thanks guys for such a quick response, definitely something for me to consider. I will look in to the etude and await more info on the DX.

Aug 24, 2018 at 10:41 AM Post #12,079 of 25,821
I have recently ordered a Dave and pre ordered an M<scaler, I currently have the chord integrated 2650 amp, but reading the last few posts just wondering would I be better off trading in my amp for a dedicated power amp and using the preamp built in to the dave? Would the preamp section within my 2650 be better than that in the Dave?

I think the only way to know the answer is to try that out by yourself. In my system DAVE sound the best at -3db using balance out to another preamp. YMMV

Aug 24, 2018 at 10:52 AM Post #12,080 of 25,821
Bypassing the preamp – for the most direct signal path – offers the objectively highest sound quality and is the only logical solution. BTW, there's no «preamp» in the DAVE, just a line out with digital volume control.

The Chord Étude looks interesting, but if you have the patience and want near-perfection, wait for Rob's «DX»/PowerPulse amp!
I think it will be a very interesting shoot out a Bob Cordell feed forward linear power supply amp vs a Rob Watts feed back minimum parts switching power supply amp!

Aug 24, 2018 at 11:10 AM Post #12,081 of 25,821

How will the Dave fit into the chain with the new m-scaler and digital amp - what exactly will it be doing?

Did Rob work on the Etude?

Aug 24, 2018 at 11:16 AM Post #12,082 of 25,821
How will the Dave fit into the chain with the new m-scaler and digital amp - what exactly will it be doing?

Did Rob work on the Etude?
I really don't know if the DAVE still has a logical function between M-Scaler and DX amp.

No, the Étude is John Franks' work.

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2018 at 11:34 AM Post #12,083 of 25,821
Thanks guys for such a quick response, definitely something for me to consider. I will look in to the etude and await more info on the DX.
Sorry to burst your bubble guys Rob hasn’t even a paper design for the DX Amps. Let alone a working rough and ready prototype. Therefore to categorically scotch any more nonesense rumours. I can confirm that the “ DX Amps are at least several years from being fully developed and put into production. Please note that Rob has been talking about them with us at Chord for about ten years now and the concept has changed several times, so make of that what you will. I’m sure when they are ready they will be amazing but please don’t include them in your Christmas shopping list just yet. However the best amplifier to closely match the stunning speed and have great power performance of the Dave Dac is about to be available through our retailers. Its the very advanced 150watt Etude Amp and not the DX from Chord. Now Saying all that there may be another little surprise from Rob and Myself coming along sometime soon and But I really mean little like, kinda smallish but rather special!

Aug 24, 2018 at 11:43 AM Post #12,084 of 25,821
Sorry to burst your bubble guys Rob hasn’t even a paper design for the DX Amps. Let alone a working rough and ready prototype. Therefore to categorically scotch any more nonesense rumours. I can confirm that the “ DX Amps are at least several years from being fully developed and put into production. Please note that Rob has been talking about them with us at Chord for about ten years now and the concept has changed several times, so make of that what you will. I’m sure when they are ready they will be amazing but please don’t include them in your Christmas shopping list just yet. However the best amplifier to closely match the stunning speed and have great power performance of the Dave Dac is about to be available through our retailers. Its the very advanced 150watt Etude Amp and not the DX from Chord. Now Saying all that there may be another little surprise from Rob and Myself coming along sometime soon and But I really mean little like, kinda smallish but rather special!

Thanks John, I will pop into my local store tomorrow and register my interest for a home demo, I guess it will land similar time to Mscaler?

Aug 24, 2018 at 11:50 AM Post #12,085 of 25,821
John, I appreciate a home demo is the only way to truly tell, but from your perspective do you think there are technical reasons why the etude may offer better sound when paired with a Dave, rather than my current amp, the Chord 2650?

Aug 24, 2018 at 12:01 PM Post #12,086 of 25,821
I really don't know if the DAVE still has a logical function between M-Scaler and DX amp.

No, the Étude is John Franks' work.

So for this new Dave owner, who has put in an order for the new m-scaler, why would it be worth waiting for the DX amp, as you suggested?

In any event, looks like the DX amp won’t be around for a bit.

Aug 24, 2018 at 12:15 PM Post #12,087 of 25,821
So for this new Dave owner, who has put in an order for the new m-scaler, why would it be worth waiting for the DX amp, as you suggested?

In any event, looks like the DX amp won’t be around for a bit.
Because it's supposed to be the best amp you can get for M-Scaler and/or DAVE. If the DAVE turns out to be redundant, there's no harm done, as it would free some cash. Sure, any other (conventional) power amp would leave the DAVE's right to exist intact, but in fact you would gain nothing and moreover have just the second best solution.

Aug 24, 2018 at 12:38 PM Post #12,088 of 25,821

A dealer mentioned to me that Rob had told him he’d cracked digital amps about 20 years ago.

Aug 24, 2018 at 12:55 PM Post #12,089 of 25,821
John, I appreciate a home demo is the only way to truly tell, but from your perspective do you think there are technical reasons why the etude may offer better sound when paired with a Dave, rather than my current amp, the Chord 2650?
Rob showed us the ultra high frequency performance way beyond the typical high quality audio performance of say forty to fifty KHz matters intensely. Especially when the brain needs to determine enough information to create a truly realistic sound stage with great depth. Now all our amps are fast but the Etude is an order of magnitude faster it’s performance is out standing.
A dealer mentioned to me that Rob had told him he’d cracked digital amps about 20 years ago.
I’m not saying that he hasn’t! Its just that the DX amps are not even in his development program yet! They will be just not yet!

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2018 at 1:10 PM Post #12,090 of 25,821
Rob showed us the ultra high frequency performance way beyond the typical high quality audio performance of say forty to fifty KHz matters intensely. Especially when the brain needs to determine enough information to create a truly realistic sound stage with great depth. Now all our amps are fast but the Etude is an order of magnitude faster it’s performance is out standing.

I’m not saying that he hasn’t! Its just that the DX amps are not even in his development program yet! They will be just not yet!

And I didn’t say that he had, only passing on what I was told, from which it would appear that it’s a project on which he’s been working for some years. It would seem that it’s yet to reach fruition. Thanks for clarifying.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back