1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE

Discussion in 'High-end Audio Forum' started by magiccabbage, May 14, 2015.
Tags:
First

Back
902 903 904 905 906 907 908 909 910 911
913 914 915 916 917 918 919 920
Next

Last
  1. ZappaMan
    but maybe "transparency" means more enjoyable. on one side of the spectrum is playing music out of the speaker on your phone.... then theres Dave ! and a £2000 set of headphones.... all in at 10g. i always enjoyed music out of a sound card before all of this...

Deftone likes this.
  2. Amberlamps
    Me too, my headphones plugged straight into either my sound card, or in to my old xfi platinum breakout box was very good in my opinion. I never thought my music sounded schiit, then or now.

Next year I will set my sights on something else, maybe take flying lessons, whats the worst that can happen ?

Sonic77, Whazzzup and Deftone like this.
  3. Deftone
    It did me good being away from ad-fi for a few months, being on the forums everyday kept making me find faults with my headphones or equipment, always looking what could be improved next.

Spending money but not spending time enjoying music (truly enjoying music) and also noticed being away from it all I didn't listen to music as much, maybe I was just doing it for the sake of it? I'm happier these days as long as I can hear music out of something I couldn't care less how many taps there are or how low the noise floor is. Im rarely on the forums these days and I think at one point when the habit has faded I won't be back much if at all.

I told myself it's time to stop worrying about every little detail there's more to life than audio.

Aslshark, AndrewOld, JohnM-73 and 5 others like this.
  4. azabu
    Audiophiles don't listen to music, they only listen to their equipment :wink:

JohnM-73 and Amberlamps like this.
  5. ZappaMan
    I agree, it’s like a social media type addiction. I’ve deleted Facebook and would like to further distance myself from other platforms/forums.
    Though, it has had its good points too, but I think you’re right, the more time you spend here, the more money you spend.

JohnM-73 likes this.
  6. Rob Watts
    No there has been no design changes to Dave over the past few years, so it's not a design issue. Chord do test Daves in dual BNC mode using stock cables for drop-outs. I am seeing Matt (Chord's production director) next week, so I will discuss it with him. It's also very strange it's a right channel issue - I have never seen that before. If you need further help or advice, send me a PM.

Chord Electronics Stay updated on Chord Electronics at their sponsor page on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/chordelectronics https://twitter.com/chordaudio http://www.chordelectronics.co.uk/
    JohnM-73, Aslshark and ZappaMan like this.
  7. gnomen
    Between the amps and the drivers inside the ATC speaker cabinets that is true. But what about the signal path to the speakers? I need 2.5m per side to reach my ATC 50As and that's XLR cable carrying a much smaller pre-amp signal to the built in power amps. I have always thought those cables would benefit most from higher quality and been curious whether anyone has tried a really expensive analog XLR interconnect in a similar set up. In my own set up a relatively modest cable seems to do the job quite well but I've never tested a truly top end XLR cable.

Jiffi32 likes this.
  8. ekfc63

Ditto. I'm trying to wean myself off the forums.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2019 at 12:32 AM
  9. ekfc63

azabu likes this.
  10. musickid
    If a piece of electronically engineered hifi can provide so much musical enjoyment and further on top of that a real emotional attachment to the music then you have the key to many years of pure bliss right in your home. If going up the chain (to dave) that musical enjoyment is further enhanced by expanding on the whole range of musical qualities, i.e. timbre, tonality, separation and timing to name but a few then that in turn can only bring you closer to the music emotionally as well. I've really enjoyed the dac journey of the last 2 and a half years and would like to add a dave to my mscaler if i can for the reasons just noted.

It's better than throwing my money at commercial type schitt or in pubs. Great hobby. I find myself via roon/tidal listening to music i never normally would have. My musical library has become so diverse. Chord dacs for me mean an emotional bond to the music which is priceless. If others want to put a negative outlook on things then it's a free world too.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2019
    gnomen, JM1979 and mrgray like this.
  11. mrgray
    musickid - nice one!

12. strolee
    @Rob Watts

I am experiencing the exact same issues with my Dave as EndGameSearch has outlined in his post. After experiencing these issues with the first new Dave that I received about 2 weeks ago, my dealer exchanged it for another new one and to my dismay I am having the same exact problems with this second new Dave. Like EndGameSearch, I also have a TT2 that I use with my MScaler and in that setup, both the TT2 and MScaler work flawlessly together and the results are fantastic. The Dave on its own works fine, but when I try to use the Dave with the MScaler in dual BNC mode, I get constant drop outs and some excessive noise. I have done all of the same type of troubleshooting that EndGameSearch has outlined, including trying both the stock cables, as well as Wave BNC cables, but I get the same terrible result. Very frustrating for such a high end piece of equipment. I doubt that this is just a coincidence and it clearly looks like there is a quality control issue going on here that needs to be addressed by Chord.

Rob - please let me know next steps and how you can help me get a new Dave that works as it should. Thanks!!

13. JM1979
    true but don’t down play the advantages of blowing money at pubs.

14. ajaipuriyar
    Rob had posted this almost a year back wrt the dropouts. Hope this helps.

Screenshot_20191108-081556_Gmail.jpg

ZappaMan likes this.
  15. Triode User
    Has anyone changed the power supply in Dave?

I know it has been done by quite a few people. I am considering this and would be interested in people's experiences . . who did it, what if anything was the benefit, how much did it cost. If you would prefer to reply by PM rather than set hares running in the thread that is fine.

First

Back
902 903 904 905 906 907 908 909 910 911
913 914 915 916 917 918 919 920
Next

Last