CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Nov 4, 2019 at 3:52 PM Post #13,666 of 25,852
Didnt you get the Dave in the end then?

Nope.

After a lot of pissing about, I decided I didn't need another lump of metal costing thousands sitting on my desk.

I'm just not that anal / into music to worry about if I can hear some dudes fingerprints on guitar strings in 3d etc etc.

I just don't get it and I doubt I ever will, as when I listen to music, usually I sit back and enjoy it instead of trying to pick it apart.

In other words, I couldn't give a schiit.

Nov 4, 2019 at 4:31 PM Post #13,667 of 25,852
Nope.

After a lot of pissing about, I decided I didn't need another lump of metal costing thousands sitting on my desk.

I'm just not that anal / into music to worry about if I can hear some dudes fingerprints on guitar strings in 3d etc etc.

I just don't get it and I doubt I ever will, as when I listen to music, usually I sit back and enjoy it instead of trying to pick it apart.

but maybe "transparency" means more enjoyable. on one side of the spectrum is playing music out of the speaker on your phone.... then theres Dave ! and a £2000 set of headphones.... all in at 10g. i always enjoyed music out of a sound card before all of this...

Nov 4, 2019 at 4:46 PM Post #13,668 of 25,852
but maybe "transparency" means more enjoyable. on one side of the spectrum is playing music out of the speaker on your phone.... then theres Dave ! and a £2000 set of headphones.... all in at 10g. i always enjoyed music out of a sound card before all of this...

Me too, my headphones plugged straight into either my sound card, or in to my old xfi platinum breakout box was very good in my opinion. I never thought my music sounded schiit, then or now.

Next year I will set my sights on something else, maybe take flying lessons, whats the worst that can happen ?

Nov 4, 2019 at 7:12 PM Post #13,669 of 25,852
Me too, my headphones plugged straight into either my sound card, or in to my old xfi platinum breakout box was very good in my opinion. I never thought my music sounded schiit, then or now.

Next year I will set my sights on something else, maybe take flying lessons, whats the worst that can happen ?

It did me good being away from ad-fi for a few months, being on the forums everyday kept making me find faults with my headphones or equipment, always looking what could be improved next.

Spending money but not spending time enjoying music (truly enjoying music) and also noticed being away from it all I didn't listen to music as much, maybe I was just doing it for the sake of it? I'm happier these days as long as I can hear music out of something I couldn't care less how many taps there are or how low the noise floor is. Im rarely on the forums these days and I think at one point when the habit has faded I won't be back much if at all.

I told myself it's time to stop worrying about every little detail there's more to life than audio.

Nov 5, 2019 at 1:21 AM Post #13,670 of 25,852
Nope.

Audiophiles don't listen to music, they only listen to their equipment :wink:

Nov 5, 2019 at 2:40 AM Post #13,671 of 25,852
It did me good being away from ad-fi for a few months, being on the forums everyday kept making me find faults with my headphones or equipment, always looking what could be improved next.

Spending money but not spending time enjoying music (truly enjoying music) and also noticed being away from it all I didn't listen to music as much, maybe I was just doing it for the sake of it? I'm happier these days as long as I can hear music out of something I couldn't care less how many taps there are or how low the noise floor is. Im rarely on the forums these days and I think at one point when the habit has faded I won't be back much if at all.

I told myself it's time to stop worrying about every little detail there's more to life than audio.
I agree, it’s like a social media type addiction. I’ve deleted Facebook and would like to further distance myself from other platforms/forums.
Though, it has had its good points too, but I think you’re right, the more time you spend here, the more money you spend.

Nov 5, 2019 at 4:36 AM Post #13,672 of 25,852
@Rob Watts

Have you recently changed any of the components within the Daves you are currently shipping? Perhaps Chord changed to a different type of BNC input connectors?

Here’s my issue....

I sold my Dave and BluMK2 a while back and bought a TT2 and HMS. A few months later I was missing Dave’s amazing transparency so bought another Dave and HMS for a different room. I’ll quickly summarize what was actually countless hours of trouble shooting. BNC input 1 and 2 are horrible. The music cuts in and out and there is a constant crackling noise that sounds more like direct contact electrical interference. With Input 3 and 4 it’s much better, but there is a popping / clicking noise in the right channel that can occur every few seconds, every 30 seconds, and it’s even disappeared for a few mins at times. It’s completely silent when the music is paused. When you start the music the noise begins in the right channel. Pause the music again and the pops and clicks continue for a couple seconds. It almost sounds like there’s a short or a charge is being released. My dealer was kind enough to send me his personal Dave which is fairly old (with the curved glass over the screen vs the flat glass on the new models). Dropping his Dave in place the problem went away. Dropping my TT2 in place the problem went away. I received another new Dave but the exact same problem was there again. Horrible on 1 and 2, better but still not acceptable with 3 and 4. I’ve taking every step you imagine to isolate the problem. From cutting power to unused circuits in my house, to moving the system to other rooms and testing each component in the chain. With HMS in bypass mode there are no issues. The same goes when I upsample to 176. As soon as it goes into DBNC the problem appears (just in the right channel) I’ve used the stock cables which exaggerated the issue. Pulse AG cables which helped but just a little, and I used the Wave BNC cables with the same results. I finally brought my AudioWise OPTO DX into the mix and the problem goes away. So now I have a working Dave, but I shouldn’t have to spend on OPTO DX and two UpTone LPS 1.2’s just to get HMS and Dave working. I tend to rotate my gear fairly quickly so now I am concerned about resell. It’s working for me, but as is I couldn’t sell it to someone without disclosing the issue.

Has anyone else experienced this problem with a new Dave? I suspect Chord changed something and Dave is simply more sensitive than TT2. The fact that an older Dave works and two new Daves have the same problem is quite telling. However, I really do not want to send it off to be repaired. This process has taken nearly two months and I’m tired of either going without music, or only being able to partially upsample the music. Dave on it’s own works just fine. The problem only arises when in dual BNC mode.

Thoughts will be appreciated....

(Edit - making a long post even longer - Even with the OPTO DX in place, I still hear an occasional pop/click in the right channel (and no, it’s not the HP or cable))

No there has been no design changes to Dave over the past few years, so it's not a design issue. Chord do test Daves in dual BNC mode using stock cables for drop-outs. I am seeing Matt (Chord's production director) next week, so I will discuss it with him. It's also very strange it's a right channel issue - I have never seen that before. If you need further help or advice, send me a PM.

Nov 5, 2019 at 11:34 AM Post #13,673 of 25,852
Ps, if longer speaker cables were better or if there was a minimum recommended length, how would that work with active speakers such as my ATC actives which have the amplifiers in the speaker cabinets and therefore ultra short cables? The answer is of course that there is no minimum recommended length.
Between the amps and the drivers inside the ATC speaker cabinets that is true. But what about the signal path to the speakers? I need 2.5m per side to reach my ATC 50As and that's XLR cable carrying a much smaller pre-amp signal to the built in power amps. I have always thought those cables would benefit most from higher quality and been curious whether anyone has tried a really expensive analog XLR interconnect in a similar set up. In my own set up a relatively modest cable seems to do the job quite well but I've never tested a truly top end XLR cable.

Nov 5, 2019 at 7:58 PM Post #13,674 of 25,852
I agree, it’s like a social media type addiction. I’ve deleted Facebook and would like to further distance myself from other platforms/forums.
Though, it has had its good points too, but I think you’re right, the more time you spend here, the more money you spend.

Ditto. I'm trying to wean myself off the forums.

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2019 at 10:47 AM Post #13,675 of 25,852
Nov 7, 2019 at 7:10 PM Post #13,676 of 25,852
If a piece of electronically engineered hifi can provide so much musical enjoyment and further on top of that a real emotional attachment to the music then you have the key to many years of pure bliss right in your home. If going up the chain (to dave) that musical enjoyment is further enhanced by expanding on the whole range of musical qualities, i.e. timbre, tonality, separation and timing to name but a few then that in turn can only bring you closer to the music emotionally as well. I've really enjoyed the dac journey of the last 2 and a half years and would like to add a dave to my mscaler if i can for the reasons just noted.

It's better than throwing my money at commercial type schitt or in pubs. Great hobby. I find myself via roon/tidal listening to music i never normally would have. My musical library has become so diverse. Chord dacs for me mean an emotional bond to the music which is priceless. If others want to put a negative outlook on things then it's a free world too.

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2019 at 9:55 PM Post #13,678 of 25,852
No there has been no design changes to Dave over the past few years, so it's not a design issue. Chord do test Daves in dual BNC mode using stock cables for drop-outs. I am seeing Matt (Chord's production director) next week, so I will discuss it with him. It's also very strange it's a right channel issue - I have never seen that before. If you need further help or advice, send me a PM.

@Rob Watts

I am experiencing the exact same issues with my Dave as EndGameSearch has outlined in his post. After experiencing these issues with the first new Dave that I received about 2 weeks ago, my dealer exchanged it for another new one and to my dismay I am having the same exact problems with this second new Dave. Like EndGameSearch, I also have a TT2 that I use with my MScaler and in that setup, both the TT2 and MScaler work flawlessly together and the results are fantastic. The Dave on its own works fine, but when I try to use the Dave with the MScaler in dual BNC mode, I get constant drop outs and some excessive noise. I have done all of the same type of troubleshooting that EndGameSearch has outlined, including trying both the stock cables, as well as Wave BNC cables, but I get the same terrible result. Very frustrating for such a high end piece of equipment. I doubt that this is just a coincidence and it clearly looks like there is a quality control issue going on here that needs to be addressed by Chord.

Rob - please let me know next steps and how you can help me get a new Dave that works as it should. Thanks!!

Nov 7, 2019 at 10:03 PM Post #13,679 of 25,852
If a piece of electronically engineered hifi can provide so much musical enjoyment and further on top of that a real emotional attachment to the music then you have the key to many years of pure bliss right in your home. If going up the chain (to dave) that musical enjoyment is further enhanced by expanding on the whole range of musical qualities, i.e. timbre, tonality, separation and timing to name but a few then that in turn can only bring you closer to the music emotionally as well. I've really enjoyed the dac journey of the last 2 and a half years and would like to add a dave to my mscaler if i can for the reasons just noted.

It's better than throwing my money at commercial type schitt or in pubs. Great hobby. I find myself via roon/tidal listening to music i never normally would have. My musical library has become so diverse. Chord dacs for me mean an emotional bond to the music which is priceless. If others want to put a negative outlook on things then it's a free world too.

true but don’t down play the advantages of blowing money at pubs.

Nov 7, 2019 at 10:06 PM Post #13,680 of 25,852
Rob had posted this almost a year back wrt the dropouts. Hope this helps.

Screenshot_20191108-081556_Gmail.jpg

Mike99 - Thanks for the post. I had tested everything related to Dave's bnc inputs, but I had not thought to try a different input connection type with my hugo m scaler. With the m-scaler fed by USB, Dave's bnc connections 1 and 2 are complete garbage. The music constantly drops in and out and there is a static / clicking / crackling noise, primarily in the right channel. With bnc connections 1 and 2 it's the issue is much less dramatic, but it's still there with a clicking / popping noise any where from every few seconds to every minute or two at best. With the m-scaler fed via BNC, Dave no longer has any issues with bnc 1, 2, 3 or 4. I don't understand why it would make a difference, but it clearly does. I'll be sending my new dave in for repair or replacement.

@Rob Watts I'd appreciate your input on this post as well as the post Mikey99 first responded to. Thank you....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back