CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Nov 20, 2019 at 10:01 AM Post #13,711 of 25,833
can anyone give me a proper explanation about the reported bnc dropouts when connecting the mscaler? 1 and 2 then 3 and 4 inputs and so on. i'm considering a dave upgrade next year but worried about this.

Nov 20, 2019 at 10:23 AM Post #13,712 of 25,833
The DAVE requires tighter tolerances to reliably sync the dual BNC signals compared to the later Chord DACs. Improvements were made to the data transmission format post-DAVE that make this less of a concern. Or so I'd read.

Users here have reported having more luck when needed on inputs 3/4, which was my experience as well.

Nov 20, 2019 at 10:33 AM Post #13,713 of 25,833
does this happen with every new dave and mscaler i.e. switching to inputs 3 and 4?

Nov 20, 2019 at 10:55 AM Post #13,715 of 25,833
This is quite interesting for me. I have been a follower of LDR volume control, but I have just used a cheap one for a short time. Now I would like to buy a Tortuga to complete my analog path. I have recommended one for a friend a year ago, heard his setup for an hour, and since then he has not complained. So I would like to see the evidence of these distortions. Obviously you have records of these and could show them here, so I can think about again. I have not found any charts about distortion or frequency response of Tortuga volume control, and if necessary I will not hesitate to ask them. Thank you for your note.

I will send PM

Nov 20, 2019 at 10:58 AM Post #13,716 of 25,833
can anyone give me a proper explanation about the reported bnc dropouts when connecting the mscaler? 1 and 2 then 3 and 4 inputs and so on. i'm considering a dave upgrade next year but worried about this.

This is not a thing to be worried about.

The usual situation is that the dual BNC connection to the Dave is rock solid no matter whether you use 1+2 or 3+4. In the rare case where there is an issue then mostly switching the pair of input sockets used on the Dave solves it or sometimes using different cables. In the even rarer cases where neither of these solve it then from what I have read of Rob Watts posts a factory adjustment is required.

As to an explanation of what causes it then unfortunately I cannot help (perhaps ask RW?). I can say though is that having owned two different Daves from when they first came and swopping cables in and out of them several times every day to test cables all I can say is that I have never ever had any drop out issues when connected to either Blu2 or Mscaler.

Nov 20, 2019 at 11:10 AM Post #13,717 of 25,833
good news many thanks

on an unrelated note if a streamer is wired in ethernet but also has optical out to the dac is the galvanic isolation of the optical connection compromised? my imac is ethernet wired in with optical to mscaler.

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2019 at 1:21 PM Post #13,718 of 25,833
Never had any drop-outs either.

Nov 24, 2019 at 12:25 PM Post #13,719 of 25,833
DAVE drop-outs are luck of the draw. My first Dave had them quite badly and needed to be replaced. The replacement has had no problems. I recently acquired a second DAVE for my main system, and it has not had the problem either.

Just make sure you check your new DAVE right away with dual BNC from the M Scaler, using USB input on the M-Scaler (for some reason the drop-outs only happen with USB). Check both sets of inputs, if either shows drop-outs then get the unit replaced. It should be no problem - in my case my dealer worked with the local distributor to exchange the faulty unit.

If I were Chord I would check each unit for this before leaving the factory - perhaps they do now, and this is no longer a problem.

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2019 at 3:29 AM Post #13,720 of 25,833
I experienced the drop-out problem connecting HMS with Dave to BNC 1&2. That's really annoying!. To solve this problem you have to switch to port 3&4. I too overcome this problem by doing so. It took me several weeks after connecting to 3&4 before the problem is completely gone.

Right now I wouldn't dare to touch the BNC ports and Cable. Quite afraid that the problem may comeback. Some people said the SQ on 1&2 is better than 3&4 but that's fine. As long as I can use the product as the money I spent, I am ok with 3&4.

Note* I did a lot of experiment about the BNC ports and cables. The problem is there for 1&2, it's never gone, especially when you use streaming service, the dropout will frequently occur. My internet is 1GB and connect to my source with AQ diamond ethernet cable. So, I think the problem is the port themselves.

I heard that Chord offers a replacement service for this problem. So if you like the Company sound and signature, just go for it, it's a good DAC.

Nov 26, 2019 at 2:34 AM Post #13,721 of 25,833
i'm considering a dave upgrade next year.
You won't regret it. As I type this, I am listening to my DAVE+Blu MK II and I cannot even begin to explain how wonderful it is. I can't thank @Rob Watts and John Franks (@Mojo ideas) and the entire Chord team enough for bringing these products to the market and my home.

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2019 at 2:40 AM Post #13,722 of 25,833
You won't regret it. As I type this, I am listening to my DAVE+Blu MK II and I cannot even begin to explain how wonderful it is-- I can't thank @Rob Watts and John Franks (@Mojo ideas) and the entire Chord team enough for bringing these products to the market and my home.

Agreed, the Dave towers above all other DACs in the Chord range which is no mean feat because they are all excellent in their own right but the Dave is in a league of its own. The transparency is just to die for and then add it to the Blu MK II to go to another level.

Nov 26, 2019 at 2:52 AM Post #13,723 of 25,833
Agreed, the Dave towers above all other DACs in the Chord range which is no mean feat because they are all excellent in their own right but the Dave is in a league of its own. The transparency is just to die for and then add it to the Blu MK II to go to another level.
I have been a member of this site for 5,583 days as of the time of this post and my audiophile journey is complete and I can focus on the music. The DAVE+Blu Mk II is in a class of its own-- its Gordon Murray and Paul Rosche's McLaren F1; its Rob Watts and John Franks' DAVE. My only regret is that I didn't purchase the DAVE sooner.

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2019 at 7:42 AM Post #13,724 of 25,833
If one had to pick between a solo dave and TT2/Mscaler with no intent of adding an mscaler to dave later on which way would everyone go?

Nov 26, 2019 at 7:46 AM Post #13,725 of 25,833
If one had to pick between a solo dave and TT2/Mscaler with no intent of adding an mscaler to dave later on which way would everyone go?

You know my answer, solo Dave every time. The subtle detail due to its transparency is irreplaceable in my opinion and having specifically compared it to TT2+Mscaler in my own system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back