Chord Electronics ☆ Poly ☆ (wireless & microSD module for Mojo) ☆★►USEFUL INFO on 1st PAGE!!◄★☆
Nov 26, 2017 at 8:19 PM Post #3,961 of 18,921
No..

All this swapping and pin-pushing have me fed up for the day.

Ill wait for the next code update to see whats fixed.

May i just ask before my little brain implodes! ... will the new app when released do all this easily, and we will be able to play everything hassle free ? ... I'm losing the will ...... my ears are grizzled, my eyes are dim and somebody's shot me bleedin parrot! .. Albatross!
The plot has surely gone, yes I've lost it !

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2017 at 10:04 PM Post #3,962 of 18,921
Is the Poly supposed to be always on when charging, even though the Mojo it is attached to is off? I found this out when I was scanning available Wifi networks, and found that even though the MojoPoly is powered off and charging, I can still see the Poly's advertised SSID (I have it saved as hotspot mode). I turned on the Mojo manually, wait a few minutes and shut it off, and after a while (still charging the whole thing), the Poly's advertised SSID is still there. Not a big deal, but wouldn't charging be quicker if the Mojo is off anyway and there is no point keeping the Poly on?

Nov 27, 2017 at 3:41 AM Post #3,964 of 18,921
Is the Poly supposed to be always on when charging, even though the Mojo it is attached to is off? I found this out when I was scanning available Wifi networks, and found that even though the MojoPoly is powered off and charging, I can still see the Poly's advertised SSID (I have it saved as hotspot mode). I turned on the Mojo manually, wait a few minutes and shut it off, and after a while (still charging the whole thing), the Poly's advertised SSID is still there. Not a big deal, but wouldn't charging be quicker if the Mojo is off anyway and there is no point keeping the Poly on?

Yes the network section inside Poly remains on whilst charging. It only uses a negligible amount of power.
It was designed like this and means that should you want to use Mojo/Poly in a fixed HiFi system permanently connected to power then it will take less time to boot up when Mojo is turned back on.

Nov 27, 2017 at 10:50 AM Post #3,965 of 18,921
Am left puzzled after a recent flight, would appreciate some help for next time.

Last week I boarded a plane and was hoping to zone out with some quality time with new Poly. Once the pilot said it was ok to use devices I powered up Poly and my ipad. Realized that without a wifi connection I can't setup a personal hotspot so was unable to connect with the Poly making the 200GB of flac files on my micro sd useless. I was able to play the 10 songs saved on my iphone over Airplay/Blutooth but sound quality was disappointing and frankly it's just not right given the quality of the kit I held in my hands.

I seem to recall reading on this board something about going into hotspot mode, connecting to Poly and saying use without Internet, but I could not get Hotspot mode to work despite about 45 mins of trying. I know that the upcoming app should make some of this easier, but is there anyway that someone could post simple step by step instructions? I have tried Google and the search function on Head-fi to find what i am looking for but my patience is already strained.

As a friendly suggestion to Chord, perhaps in their youtube videos in the future they could take a bit more time and show exactly what it is they are doing with a device and screenshots etc. The DLNA and MPD videos were not very helpful. It may help to ask one of your non-engineer employees or family members to try and use the device to get an idea of what a typical user does with a given interface or product. I appreciate both the time and the feedback of all the Chord employees on this thread, but think this is an area where they could save themselves and their customers a lot of grief. (PS, I consider myself technically inclined, but this device is not intuitive at all and it is made worse by 3rd party apps that are buggy, prone to disappearing from the app store, or just plain crap. My Bryston BDP2 has a built-in webpage on the device that allows me to control playback etc from anydevice and is certain to work with their device. Not sure if there is any spare room on the onboard memory to keep this permanently in the Poly but is it something that could be considered?).

Nov 27, 2017 at 11:36 AM Post #3,966 of 18,921
Am left puzzled after a recent flight, would appreciate some help for next time.

Last week I boarded a plane and was hoping to zone out with some quality time with new Poly. Once the pilot said it was ok to use devices I powered up Poly and my ipad. Realized that without a wifi connection I can't setup a personal hotspot so was unable to connect with the Poly making the 200GB of flac files on my micro sd useless. I was able to play the 10 songs saved on my iphone over Airplay/Blutooth but sound quality was disappointing and frankly it's just not right given the quality of the kit I held in my hands.

I seem to recall reading on this board something about going into hotspot mode, connecting to Poly and saying use without Internet, but I could not get Hotspot mode to work despite about 45 mins of trying. I know that the upcoming app should make some of this easier, but is there anyway that someone could post simple step by step instructions? I have tried Google and the search function on Head-fi to find what i am looking for but my patience is already strained.

As a friendly suggestion to Chord, perhaps in their youtube videos in the future they could take a bit more time and show exactly what it is they are doing with a device and screenshots etc. The DLNA and MPD videos were not very helpful. It may help to ask one of your non-engineer employees or family members to try and use the device to get an idea of what a typical user does with a given interface or product. I appreciate both the time and the feedback of all the Chord employees on this thread, but think this is an area where they could save themselves and their customers a lot of grief. (PS, I consider myself technically inclined, but this device is not intuitive at all and it is made worse by 3rd party apps that are buggy, prone to disappearing from the app store, or just plain crap. My Bryston BDP2 has a built-in webpage on the device that allows me to control playback etc from anydevice and is certain to work with their device. Not sure if there is any spare room on the onboard memory to keep this permanently in the Poly but is it something that could be considered?).

Yes using Poly's own internal hotspot is the answer but yes when the app is released putting Poly into this mode will be easier.
For the moment to temporarily activate hotspot mode in Poly just follow these steps:-
1. With Poly and Mojo switched on press in the config button using the small metal pin until you see the P status light go out.
2. After about 10s the P Status light will come back on and flash green and blue.
3. Using your Pad or phone browse for the available WiFi networks and you should see something called Poly followed by a long number. Select this.
4. If the config page appears click anywhere on the page so you get the warning 'use without internet'
5. Now you can use Airplay/DLNA/MPD via your phone or tablet as you would do at home.

When finished switching off Mojo/Poly will reset everything back to how it was before.

I agree we need to get some more videos posted and we are working on it.

Nov 27, 2017 at 11:57 AM Post #3,967 of 18,921
Ok I think I now have a solution to this.
It's nothing to do with Poly and seems to be a problem with MPD recognising the IP address of the iPhone in hotspot tethering mode.
Big thanks go to @JeremyLaurenson for pointing out you can also use the name you have given Poly followed by .local instead of an IP address.
Take a look at my setup where my Poly is called MattPoly and so I type MattPoly.local as the server address. This works on my iPhone hotspot and across all my networks without having to keep changing IP address with every new network I connect to.

I tried setting this up on my Android phone with both M.A.L.P. and MPDroid and it won't connect when I use the .local server name (in my case RicksPoly.local) as opposed to the IP address. Both apps work fine when using the IP address. Has anyone here had success connecting using the .local server name method on an Android device?

Nov 27, 2017 at 12:37 PM Post #3,968 of 18,921
Yes using Poly's own internal hotspot is the answer but yes when the app is released putting Poly into this mode will be easier.
For the moment to temporarily activate hotspot mode in Poly just follow these steps:-
1. With Poly and Mojo switched on press in the config button using the small metal pin until you see the P status light go out.
2. After about 10s the P Status light will come back on and flash green and blue.
3. Using your Pad or phone browse for the available WiFi networks and you should see something called Poly followed by a long number. Select this.
4. If the config page appears click anywhere on the page so you get the warning 'use without internet'
5. Now you can use Airplay/DLNA/MPD via your phone or tablet as you would do at home.

When finished switching off Mojo/Poly will reset everything back to how it was before.

Many thanks! I was missing the tap anywhere in the page step.

Nov 27, 2017 at 12:53 PM Post #3,969 of 18,921

Using hotspot is not the answer because when i go into an airplane I don’t have the pin with me.

And imagine dropping the pin during the flight, it will be impossible to get it from the ground.

I fly every week and I don’t see myself doing this.

I will just wait till bluetooth support is added for the SD player.

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2017 at 1:55 PM Post #3,970 of 18,921
Using hotspot is not the answer because when i go into an airplane I don’t have the pin with me.

And imagine dropping the pin during the flight, it will be impossible to get it from the ground.

I fly every week and I don’t see myself doing this.

I will just wait till bluetooth support is added for the SD player.

Small-sized paperclip works.

Nov 27, 2017 at 2:07 PM Post #3,971 of 18,921
Small-sized paperclip works.

But I don’t carry paperclips also. I’m also a big guy so I can’t see myself messing with a paperclip in these tiny airplane seats. :p

Nov 27, 2017 at 3:21 PM Post #3,973 of 18,921
ubs28: What does your size have to do with the offered solution aka the paperclip? You have the solution, but decide not to go with it. Your problem then I would say.

Nov 27, 2017 at 3:28 PM Post #3,974 of 18,921
Ok I think I now have a solution to this.
It's nothing to do with Poly and seems to be a problem with MPD recognising the IP address of the iPhone in hotspot tethering mode.
Big thanks go to @JeremyLaurenson for pointing out you can also use the name you have given Poly followed by .local instead of an IP address.
Take a look at my setup where my Poly is called MattPoly and so I type MattPoly.local as the server address. This works on my iPhone hotspot and across all my networks without having to keep changing IP address with every new network I connect to.

Hi @Matt Bartlett and @JeremyLaurenson - many thanks for this. I've changed the IP address in MPDLuxe as you outlined to xxxPoly.local and this works instantly when Poly and iPhone are both connected to my home wifi and I open up MPDLuxe. However, if I connect Poly to my iPhone hotspot, MPDLuxe still won't connect to Poly.......

Nov 27, 2017 at 3:31 PM Post #3,975 of 18,921
as Chord suggests, putting the pin on your keyring is v effective here...

ubs28: What does your size have to do with the offered solution aka the paperclip? You have the solution, but decide not to go with it. Your problem then I would say.

What! ..... I'm in raptures here, NOT!
Im told Im a very patient and reasonable chap, i really cant believe Im reading this current run of posts. ..... Its like a bleedin Monty Python sketch, hilarious!

So sitting in your seat you fiddle about poking a paper clip into an electronic device, looking like you could possibly be trying to activate something, your no doubt sweating in fustration, further adding to the building tension, we can guess the results of that.
Plus if you might lose your supplied pin you will no doubt have a paper clip to hand.
Just add the fact that tempory functionality of what is the best part of a grands worth of gear relying on a paper clip. ..... This is good stuff, keep going theres a good sketch forming!

I tell you something, if you aint lost your Mojo, I certainly have!

Tbh, Im not comming back to this thread now until I hear the app is ready and the firmware sorted. A debacle Chord! ...... Im quite techy, no whiz but techy'ish, Im running my Poly ok, but I feel very annoyed that so many are struggling, so annoyed for them that on principle I might just return it anyway and make up my own pairing. ..... Hope its sorted for you guys soon, see you then, or may be not, I dont know yet!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back