Member of the Trade: Chord Electronics
- Oct 27, 2017
Chord Electronics’ Poly brings wireless, network and SD playback to the award-winning Mojo DAC
Chord Electronics’ new Poly module enables the award-winning Mojo headphone DAC-amp as a fully fledged high-resolution wireless network music player, streamer and SD card playback device, with smartphone control.
Poly removes the need for a wired link between smartphones and Mojo,and allows a world of content to be decoded and played back using Chord’s proprietary DAC technology.
Poly is based on a condensed high-level PC, with data server, DLNA streamer, Wi-Fi hub, Bluetooth module and SD card reader/player functionality, and highly sophisticated software.
Poly acts as a Wi-Fi and Bluetooth hub and can access music in a number of ways including streaming over Wi-Fi, network storage devices (NAS) and collections stored on SD cards. Bluetooth connectivity and AirPlay functionality providefurther flexibility and enable mutliple Mojo/Poly combinations to be used throughout the home, providing a high-quality multiroom streaming playback solution.
Highly advanced yet miniaturised as a plug-in module for Mojo, Poly has been designed for full control using the best (and most familiar) user interface in the world — the smartphone.
When connected to Mojo, Poly conveniently slips into pockets, bags and handbags — it doesn’t need to be hand-carried or regularly checked like other players. Mojo was always a smartphone-enabling device and the same is true of Poly.
Poly includes a rechargeable LiPo battery giving around 8 hours playback from a sub-4-hour charge. Both Mojo and Poly can be simultaneously charged using Poly’s Micro USB connector.
Poly can be controlled with a wide range of music playback apps for both Android and iOS devices, with AirPlay offering additional compatibility and intuitive operation with enabled devices. Poly also integrates with advanced music players such as Roon.
The name is derived from the ancient Greek word meaning ‘a large number’ or ‘many’. The moniker is ideal for a product that is capable of incredible, wide-ranging functionality.
Features and specifications:
- Portable streamer/player that combines with Mojo
- Chord Electronics’ award-winning sound quality for streamed and Micro SD music
- Wireless streaming from connected devices at home or on-the-go
- Control via familiar smartphone apps
- 1x Micro SD card slot — unlimited maximum capacity
- Materials: Precision-machined aluminium casing with black anodisation, opaque black wireless signal window and silicone feet
- Battery: Rechargeable LiPo (Lithium Polymer) 2200mAh
- Play time: 9+ hrs
- Charging: <4 hours, 2-amp Micro USB input. Both Mojo and Poly can be simultaneously charged via Poly’s Micro USB
- Connectivity types: Bluetooth A2DP and Wi-Fi 2.4GHz (for optimum stability)
- Playback support: Roon, DNLA, AirPlay and Bluetooth playback
- DLNA server and renderer (SD card); SMB Server (SD card); MPD player (SD Card)
- Integrated Access Point: allows configuration of connected networks (up to 32)
- Hotspot mode: Poly can create its own hotspot where networks/devices/countries don’t support tethering
- Files supported: ACC, WAV, FLAC, AIFF, OGG VORBIS, ALAC, WMA and MP3
- PCM sample rates: 44.1kHz, 48kHz, 88.2kHz, 96kHz, 176.4kHz, 192kHz, 358.8kHz, 384kHz, 717.6kHz and 768kHz
- DSD via DoP sample rates: DSD64 – DSD256 (Quad-DSD); DSD from SD card
- Over-the-air software updates
- Devices supported: iPhone, iPad, Android phones/tablets, Windows and Mac OS X computers and DAPs
- Dimensions: 50mm (L) x 62mm (W) x 22mm (H)
- Playback support: Roon, DNLA, AirPlay and Bluetooth 4.1
- Playback of SD card audio. The file data is pushed to the phone for selection within a dedicated (MPD Music Player Daemon) app. When playback is initiated the command is sent to Poly for output via Mojo
- Playback of audio from a host device to Poly via Wi-Fi or Bluetooth. File data is read by the host’s MPD music player app and pushed to Poly for output via Mojo
- Roon playback pooled from multiple sources including local Micro SD card storage on Poly, storage from host devices, network storage and streaming service storage simultaneously. All audio playback will be pulled through to the Roon application for decoding then pushed back out to Poly to output audio via Mojo
- Playback of audio stored on local networks. Music on connected network storage devices can be accessed via W-Fi, for example, a Synology drive read by Poly, decoded and output through to Mojo for playback
Price and availability
Poly will be available in October 2017, price £499
Last edited by a moderator: