Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 19, 2016 at 1:29 AM Post #31,504 of 35,472
can anyone compare xe800 against modded 808?

The only modding I did was taping off the near nozzle vents and tip rolling.

The bass of the 808s consists mostly of midbass (and plenty of it), while the XE800 has a humble subbass presence. Mids of the 808s are somewhat recessed while maintaining detail retrieval. The XE800 displays impressive clear/detailed mids and focuses on voice and upper mids. The highs of the XE800 are more natural and true to nature, but the do balance on the edge of sibilance at times. Both are very detailed.

For EDM and Urban go for the 808s.
For rock/classical go for the XE800.

(ymmv)

Jul 19, 2016 at 1:40 AM Post #31,505 of 35,472

The bass of the 808s consists mostly of midbass (and plenty of it), while the XE800 has a humble subbass presence. Mids of the 808s are somewhat recessed while maintaining detail retrieval. The XE800 displays impressive clear/detailed mids and focuses on voice and upper mids. The highs of the XE800 are more natural and true to nature, but the do balance on the edge of sibilance at times. Both are very detailed.

For EDM and Urban go for the 808s.
For rock/classical go for the XE800.

(ymmv)

can you tape both vents and put a small hole using a thin needle on both and compare?

Jul 19, 2016 at 2:02 AM Post #31,506 of 35,472
  can anyone compare xe800 against modded 808?

For me, personally that's really hard to do, since I like both of their sound signatures and the uniqueness of it. It's all about preference from this point. They are both good and unique in their own way and can only say.....I'm glad I own both!  
etysmile.gif

This is what I can say for each, though.....

The HLSX-808 (Titanium driver & AFX BA hybrid) has deep sounding bass with great impact, and clean and clear vocals joined with crisp hi-end details. Soundstage is big and spacious, which brings out the best out of most songs effortlessly.

The VIVO XE800 (Dynamic Driver) has a superb soundstage with life-like vocals and excellent details from end to end without ever sounding harsh or sibilant (depending on your source) with mirror-like similarities in SQ when compared to the GR07.

Hope this helps.....
ksc75smile.gif

Jul 19, 2016 at 2:38 AM Post #31,507 of 35,472
ive been out of the earbud scene for a while, well hifi in general actually. i just have to comment on the cygnus though. been happily using yuin pk3 for years now as my portable. recently stumbled across glowing Cygnus reviews and became curious, the impressive cable/jack pushed me over the edge and i bought a set from penon audio. im at ~50+ hours, soundstage opened up since first listen and i look forward to 200+ hours. i also replaced stock donuts w/ heigi full foam which was a noticeable refinement across the board. i am using the Cygnus straight out of a mediocre nexus 6 80% of the time, and other times at the office w/ a fiio e10k (soon to be DFR). it is a really comfortable bud much like the yuin, same/similar shell i think? mids incredibly lush, reminds me of hd600 w/ tube amp. treble detail and extension is fantastic w/ no sibilance whatsoever. bass is well balanced, lacks punch/slam so maybe not for bassheads but perfect for me. soundstage and separation not the best ive heard but better than expected, great imaging and airy feel coupled w/ velvet mids such as pleasure to listen to. wouldnt call these neutral, overall signature maybe slightly colored/warm, just a very fun fatigueless sound. ive even been reaching for the Cygnus at home over my hd600 schiit stack. fwiw i listen to mainly hiphop/r&b/house/jazz/pop. honestly if someone took these away from me and said the price is $200 now, i would buy them again w/o hesitation. i'm also in the market for $1k universals so i look forward to that comparison, leaning towards se846 which i have no doubts is superior but by 10x? (price) not sure about that, i'll find out soon. 

Jul 19, 2016 at 2:45 AM Post #31,508 of 35,472
  ive been out of the earbud scene for a while, well hifi in general actually. i just have to comment on the cygnus though. been happily using yuin pk3 for years now as my portable. recently stumbled across glowing Cygnus reviews and became curious, the impressive cable/jack pushed me over the edge and i bought a set from penon audio. im at ~50+ hours, soundstage opened up since first listen and i look forward to 200+ hours. i also replaced stock donuts w/ heigi full foam which was a noticeable refinement across the board. i am using the Cygnus straight out of a mediocre nexus 6 80% of the time, and other times at the office w/ a fiio e10k (soon to be DFR). it is a really comfortable bud much like the yuin, same/similar shell i think? mids incredibly lush, reminds me of hd600 w/ tube amp. treble detail and extension is fantastic w/ no sibilance whatsoever. bass is well balanced, lacks punch/slam so maybe not for bassheads but perfect for me. soundstage and separation not the best ive heard but better than expected, great imaging and airy feel coupled w/ velvet mids such as pleasure to listen to. wouldnt call these neutral, overall signature maybe slightly colored/warm, just a very fun fatigueless sound. ive even been reaching for the Cygnus at home over my hd600 schiit stack. fwiw i listen to mainly hiphop/r&b/house/jazz/pop. honestly if someone took these away from me and said the price is $200 now, i would buy them again w/o hesitation. i'm also in the market for $1k universals so i look forward to that comparison, leaning towards se846 which i have no doubts is superior but by 10x? (price) not sure about that, i'll find out soon. 

You should come hang out with us in the earbud thread where you can find many people who would rather have a really nice earbud than a nice over ear
wink.gif

Se846 is extremely refined and great for that reason but isn't chinese/small company :p

http://www.head-fi.org/t/441400/earbuds-round-up-final-update-april-17th-2016

Jul 19, 2016 at 3:23 AM Post #31,509 of 35,472
For 808, little modding it is a must to get it sound "right" imho.

sorry, what modding is needed?
Close vent holes near nozzle "stem" and use Creative 930i, Piston 2.1 or Spiral-dot tips. 

Quote:

The bass of the 808s consists mostly of midbass (and plenty of it)

Sorry, but I can`t agree with that. For me, modded & even stock 808 is rather having more sub-bass/lower bass than mid-bass. Imo, its mid-bass is just about right and not over-boosted like for example Yinjw ceramic "IE800" has (very mid-bass oriented). About mids - I think they are very neutral, never being recessed to feel that something is missing from acoustic instruments or vocals but it could need slightly more warmth for my taste. 
Maybe we have different source gear or hear things differently, idk. But like You JMSO.

The HLSX-808 (Titanium driver & AFX BA hybrid) has deep sounding bass with great impact, and clean and clear vocals joined with crisp hi-end details. Soundstage is big and spacious, which brings out the best out of most songs effortlessly.

I agree but about soundstage big & spacious - I think it lacks littlebit extension and distance reach (decay/reverb). 

Thanks about info on XE800... might get one if A2S doesn`t satisfy my needs.

Jul 19, 2016 at 8:18 AM Post #31,510 of 35,472
Jul 19, 2016 at 8:28 AM Post #31,511 of 35,472
Not sure if I can talk about this but there's a new D2002 listing. Seems to be the same specs as previous one but price is lower:

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/2016-Hot-DQSM-D2002-3-Units-Hybird-Earphones-Fever-HIFI-2-Balanced-Armature-With-Dynamic-Earbuds/1922340_32701076593.html

EDIT- same iem, just 5 day sale promo.

I'd rather ask the admins before doing any push again. AFAIK, DQSM has cut ties with "the one which shall not be named", or something along those lines.

Jul 19, 2016 at 8:45 AM Post #31,512 of 35,472

For me, personally that's really hard to do, since I like both of their sound signatures and the uniqueness of it. It's all about preference from this point. They are both good and unique in their own way and can only say.....I'm glad I own both!  
etysmile.gif

This is what I can say for each, though.....

The VIVO XE800 (Dynamic Driver) has a superb soundstage with life-like vocals and excellent details from end to end without ever sounding harsh or sibilant (depending on your source) with mirror-like similarities in SQ when compared to the GR07.

Hope this helps.....
ksc75smile.gif

Wow, that sounds amazing... In terms of the havi b3 pro 1, which soundstage is better? Would you say the XE800 is a sidegrade or upgrade compared to the havi?

Jul 19, 2016 at 11:11 AM Post #31,515 of 35,472
Wow, that sounds amazing... In terms of the havi b3 pro 1, which soundstage is better? Would you say the XE800 is a sidegrade or upgrade compared to the havi?

B3 Pro detail and soundstage is very good but vocal is on thin side. I enjoy xe800 more, a bit warm neutral. Soundstage also very good. Build quality also super. I use this with Shozy Zero as sidegrade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back