Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 15, 2016 at 10:59 AM Post #23,836 of 35,472
New $20 dual driver from Monoprice. Looks a lot like the Moe SS-01, which the company doesn't seem to be around anymore.

http://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=108&cp_id=10823&cs_id=1082303&p_id=14456&seq=1&format=2&cl=res&utm_source=160315_email&utm_medium=email&utm_content=14456&utm_campaign=160315_tuesday&cl=res&utm_source=160315_email&utm_medium=email&utm_content=13687&utm_campaign=160315_tuesday

Could be a very good $20 pickup.

Mar 15, 2016 at 2:36 PM Post #23,843 of 35,472
Need some of your help. Almost pulling the trigger on buying the LeTV all-metal iems. http://www.aliexpress.com/item/100-Original-Letv-HiFi-Earphone-Stereo-Headphones-DJ-Bass-Headset-with-Mic-in-ear-HIFI-Earphones/32609732575.html?ws_ab_test=searchweb201556_9,searchweb201602_4_2010015_10017_10010_10011_10018_9999_10019_505_506_503_504_10034_10032_10020_502_10001_10002_10005_10006_10021_10003_10022_10004_10009_10008,searchweb201603_2&btsid=d583720e-2c66-4fb4-a77d-9f381f8b9629

Should be balanced, but how much? Any comparison in balanceness to KZ or Havi or Monoprice 8320? I know that Twin doesnt like them, but his and my taste are too far apart from each other :)

Mar 15, 2016 at 3:00 PM Post #23,844 of 35,472
  New $20 dual driver from Monoprice. Looks a lot like the Moe SS-01, which the company doesn't seem to be around anymore.

http://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=108&cp_id=10823&cs_id=1082303&p_id=14456&seq=1&format=2&cl=res&utm_source=160315_email&utm_medium=email&utm_content=14456&utm_campaign=160315_tuesday&cl=res&utm_source=160315_email&utm_medium=email&utm_content=13687&utm_campaign=160315_tuesday

Could be a very good $20 pickup.

I know my housings
wink_face.gif
so not the Moe...

but more like the Elecom housing...

Might get one.

Mar 15, 2016 at 3:24 PM Post #23,845 of 35,472
Oh boy, I haven't looked into this thread for over a week and it has grown ~ 40 pages by then. 
blink.gif

Anyway, I thought I might show my latest purchase, the Audio Technica ATH-IM03. Really reminds me of the Triple.Fi 10, but on a higher level. When I had an initial brief listen when it arrived by the end of last week, I was quite surprised and questioned my belief that it was a triple-driver in two-way configuration. Upon closer inspection of the retail pack's back, it became clear that my ears didn't fool me and what I thought was a combined double-low driver turned out as differently sized drivers for the mids and bass that shared the same output, so yes, it is indeed a triple-driver with three ways.
As just mentioned, the IM03 sounds pretty close to the Triple.Fi 10 tonality-wise, but with more details and a larger, more circular soundstage. When it was about a non-exaggerated fun BA in-ear with v-shaped tonality, I have been a fan of the UE from the first day I bought it, but desired an upgrade at some point. Other universal v-shaped BA in-ears I purchased or auditioned came more or less close tonality-wise, but lacked the UE's "character". The in-ear that came closest in terms of character was probably the Fischer Amps FA-3E XB (however with more fundamental warmth; I haven't bought it though but went for the FA-4E XB instead which is an upgrade when it's about resolution but lacks the "character").
I wasn't even fully aware that I secretly desired a v-shaped BA in-ear as upgrade of the Triple.Fi 10, but the Audio Technica made it clear to me, and this chapter is probably finished - it is a higher-end Triple.Fi 10 but still has the "character" that makes the UE kind of unique.
The IM03 also rises the question inside of me whether I should buy other v-shaped fully BA-based in-ears in the future other than for a comfort upgrade (although I have large Conchas, this kind of housing with a squared shape near the nozzle isn't the most ideal for my rather large ears with rather deep Conchas that require deeper insertion). Well, I guess I will see whether I should or not bite on something different that is likely v-shaped as well and I am eyeing, but if I do, it is probably only for the better comfort.
So with the Audio Technica, my search for a v-shaped BA-only"fun" in-ear has pretty much ended, and the best thing is that with ~ €340, it wasn't really expensive either - now all I would need to do is to find a higher-end multi-driver BA-only in-ear with the Etymotic ER-4S's tonality to get the closest to this kind of neutrality but with better bass speed and resolution with complex and really fast tracks - if I had discovered the Ety years earlier, chances would be high that I never went for the UERM (although the UE is unquestionably on a higher level with better detail retrieval and a quicker bass response, it simply isn't as neutral as advertised (but then again, perceived neutrality with headphones isn't fully defined either and even the experts' views differ in that regard) and especially the treble could be more even and especially more neutral). I'm pretty sure the guys and gals at the Ety labs could design a neutral killer multi-driver BA-only IEM if they wanted to.

Mar 15, 2016 at 5:20 PM Post #23,846 of 35,472
Finally ready to comment on the VJJB K2S!

Initially, I was pretty underwhelmed. Ootb they sounded fine, but there was nothing special about their signature that reached out and grabbed my attention. After a couple hours of listening they went to the burn station for a few days.

After a weekend of unattended play, I brought them to work and used them as my primary iem. I was still pretty underwhelmed, so when I got home into the iem box they went, forgotten for nearly a full two weeks.

I was searching for something to take to work and nothing was doing it for me. That's when I saw the K2S' carry bag tucked away in the bottom of the box. "Sure" I thought. "Why not give 'em a second chance?"

After some quick tip rolling I settled on the medium white silicone tips from the B3 Pro 1. Hot damn! That was the ticket. The closer the driver gets to your ear, the more capable they sound. These drivers would excel in a tip-mounted format I bet.

Sound quality is excellent for the price. Bass doesn't dig as deep into subbass regions as the FXH30, but it's close. Bass quality is excellent with lots of texture and just enough rumble. It's also fairly quick, though not as snappy as the JVCs. Mids are mildly recessed but very clear. I have been unable to detect any bleed from the bass. Treble is well extended and non fatiguing, if not quite as well controlled as I prefer. Overall this is a very tastefully tuned u-shaped signature that you can listen to for hours with ease.

Sound stage is about what you would expect from something in this price range. Not constrained, but not super spacious either. It's just right imo.

I really like the design, build quality and comfort as well. Strain relief could be better but at least the material quality is good. The flat cable is also one of the best I've come across. It's flexible, light, and doesn't tug the earphones out of place.

While I was initially very underwhelmed they have become one of my favorite iems since they seem to tick all the right boxes. Good stuff from VJJB.

Mar 15, 2016 at 6:28 PM Post #23,848 of 35,472
I did my first ever aliexpress order today, a pair of KZ ATE-S, I hope I won't wait too much to get them.
I am sure that before I get them another sports iem will be tested and loved over here and I will be tempted to order it too 

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back