Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 13, 2015 at 2:26 PM Post #13,516 of 35,472
  I'm moving away from the idea myself that recessed mids are the worst thing in the world. Headphones sometimes aim for the v-shape sound signature and while not the most accurate it does really work well with the typical bassy EDM, rap, hip hop music.

Comparing a balanced sounding/neutral headphone against a v-shaped headphone makes no sense to me. The S-018 obviously isn't a basshead headphone and comparing it with the pistons is literally comparing apples to oranges in my book. The pistons certainly aren't a catch all sound signature and the S-018 isn't either, both fulfills their niches and genres respectively. Citing recessed mids as a reason a balanced headphone is superior to a v-shaped headphone is pretty much a straw man argument, setting up 2 unlike things to basically strike one down.

I certainly don't like beats or bose but they have their places in the marketplace for specific demographics. I focus on sound quality but others may not and I am not going to force it upon others.

Well said. Btw, have you tried the newer Beats Studios? I haven't listened to them very much at all, but I thought they sounded pretty darn good when I did.

Jan 13, 2015 at 2:26 PM Post #13,517 of 35,472
I'm moving away from the idea myself that recessed mids are the worst thing in the world. Headphones sometimes aim for the v-shape sound signature and while not the most accurate it does really work well with the typical bassy EDM, rap, hip hop music.

Comparing a balanced sounding/neutral headphone against a v-shaped headphone makes no sense to me. The S-018 obviously isn't a basshead headphone and comparing it with the pistons is literally comparing apples to oranges in my book. The pistons certainly aren't a catch all sound signature and the S-018 isn't either, both fulfills their niches and genres respectively. Citing recessed mids as a reason a balanced headphone is superior to a v-shaped headphone is pretty much a straw man argument, setting up 2 unlike things to basically strike one down.

I certainly don't like beats or bose but they have their places in the marketplace for specific demographics. I focus on sound quality but others may not and I am not going to force it upon others.

Agreed. Now on to some one curiosity about earphones tips. Basic principal = the shorter the tips, and the denser the tips are, the more sound you get out of your pairs. Yes, you can change tips for different sound affects, but you can't change the pair capabilities.

IM70 is V shaped, slower. S-018 Is more neutral, and faster. I guess this is the biggest difference. And I will say it again. Im70 is best for instrumental and classical or any type of music with slower beats and natural instruments. S-018 IS GOOD for details, and faster music. Because I can't enjoy instrumentals and classical with s0-18 it lacks the natural timbre and extensions, too fast. I can't enjoy trance and electric with IM70... too slow

Also tips that fit im70 will also fit S0-18

Jan 13, 2015 at 2:41 PM Post #13,518 of 35,472

Well said. Btw, have you tried the newer Beats Studios? I haven't listened to them very much at all, but I thought they sounded pretty darn good when I did.

I don't believe I tried the new Studios. I went to Brookstone and they had a few displays of various things but everything was in pretty rough condition because so many people go to that mall location. Tried the Solo 2 but it looked like someone tugged the cord bit too hard and caused clipping issues on it so I didn't get a full experience listen on it.

headphones.com Stay updated on headphones.com at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.headphones.com/ andrew@headphones.com
Jan 13, 2015 at 2:49 PM Post #13,519 of 35,472

+2

Jan 13, 2015 at 10:53 PM Post #13,521 of 35,472
  I listen to EDM ... My budget is $70 ..... I want to know whether the Takstar Pro 80's provide good amount of bass and detail?

Yes they have ample bass and more detail than you will know what to do with. Keep in mind that the headphone band maybe small depending on your head size. It was too small for me. The treble can be a bit too energetic and splashy and ultimately led me to return it. YMMV depending on if you are treble sensitive or not. 

Also, to get the best out of it make sure to buy the HM5 replacement pads. 

Jan 14, 2015 at 12:08 AM Post #13,523 of 35,472
  Any other Bassy and detail headphone's (closed) for $50-70$

Takstars may still work for you. They are still amazing headphones in their own right and hard to beat at the price. if you want nice bass headphones and can stretch the budget the Donscorpio Dolphins have gotten some love around here. I however haven't heard them. If you're not treble sensitive the Takstars are still a solid option. 

Jan 14, 2015 at 12:34 AM Post #13,525 of 35,472
Jan 14, 2015 at 1:46 AM Post #13,528 of 35,472

my friend those are words i think all of us to should remind ourselves! in total agreement

Jan 14, 2015 at 1:53 AM Post #13,529 of 35,472

yes yes i have and i'm glad to report their pretty dam good to me too, just a few niggles here and there

the pads are a pillowy soft but a bit shallow and they trap heat like no tomorrow. my ears feel nice in them on cold days but on warmer days, dam they heat up fast

the hiss is another issue, as many have mentioned

plus theres no passive mode! a few times on my commute home or when i'm out for a walk they ran out of juice... and i just became a sad (music-less) man with a $300 pair of shiny orange headphones around my neck.. sad times.....
  I don't believe I tried the new Studios. I went to Brookstone and they had a few displays of various things but everything was in pretty rough condition because so many people go to that mall location. Tried the Solo 2 but it looked like someone tugged the cord bit too hard and caused clipping issues on it so I didn't get a full experience listen on it.

give the solo2s a go in the apple store, they're pretty good with replacing them with a solid pair 

it seems like only the beats get love, the broken p5 ver 2 (both of them) need cable replacing and so does the marshall monitors beside them.

the beats mixrs needs maintenance too....

actually scratch that... only the solo2s are really well kept, didn't try the studio 2013s in there.

Jan 14, 2015 at 2:46 AM Post #13,530 of 35,472
give the solo2s a go in the apple store, they're pretty good with replacing them with a solid pair 

it seems like only the beats get love, the broken p5 ver 2 (both of them) need cable replacing and so does the marshall monitors beside them.

the beats mixrs needs maintenance too....

actually scratch that... only the solo2s are really well kept, didn't try the studio 2013s in there.

Alrighty, I'll try the apple store a shot. Been pretty busy with classes and work that I haven't had much of a chance to give more headphones a listen lol.

headphones.com Stay updated on headphones.com at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.headphones.com/ andrew@headphones.com
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back