Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 13, 2014 at 1:55 AM Post #5,971 of 35,472
Hi everyone, I'm looking to get an open, over-the-ear set of headphones. Mainly going to use them for gaming, so a good soundstage would be nice. I've been eye-ing the Takstar HI 2050. Are there any other headphones that I should check out. I'd like to keep it below $75.

Aug 13, 2014 at 2:19 AM Post #5,972 of 35,472
  Hi everyone, I'm looking to get an open, over-the-ear set of headphones. Mainly going to use them for gaming, so a good soundstage would be nice. I've been eye-ing the Takstar HI 2050. Are there any other headphones that I should check out. I'd like to keep it below $75.

The Superlux 668B are often recommended for gaming. They're over the ear and have a nice soundstage...for music at least. I haven't tried them for gaming, and don't really play any FPS games either. I like my pair and they're also pretty comfortable.

Aug 13, 2014 at 5:21 AM Post #5,974 of 35,472
My Havi B3 Pro 1's have arrived. Will post more detailed impressions in the Havi thread.

A few things:
- out of box, it is bass-light (pretty similar to my ATH-AD900X, maybe even less bass on Havi); but all that has been said about soundstage, timbre and clarity are right on the money. Listened to John Legend live and it took me to another place... was excellent! Looking forward to listening after more burn in. At 10hr mark now.
- these definitely benefit from amping... power hungry little fellas! Speaking of which, should I set my gain on my FiiO E07K at 6 or 12 dB? Source is HTC One M8 most of the time.

Aug 13, 2014 at 7:33 AM Post #5,975 of 35,472
  My Havi B3 Pro 1's have arrived. Will post more detailed impressions in the Havi thread.

A few things:
- out of box, it is bass-light (pretty similar to my ATH-AD900X, maybe even less bass on Havi); but all that has been said about soundstage, timbre and clarity are right on the money. Listened to John Legend live and it took me to another place... was excellent! Looking forward to listening after more burn in. At 10hr mark now.
- these definitely benefit from amping... power hungry little fellas! Speaking of which, should I set my gain on my FiiO E07K at 6 or 12 dB? Source is HTC One M8 most of the time.

Congratulations!

If you get enough volume from your E07K on low gain so stick with it to save battery. You couls also do a quick check with both and see what you prefer.

Aug 13, 2014 at 9:18 AM Post #5,976 of 35,472
Hi all,
long time lurker here.

Am thinking of getting the vmoda clone / KZ LP2 from here http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Kz-lp2-folding-headset-hifi-professional-standard-bass-earphones-balancing/615477_1747508927.html

Price is $60 + another $16 for EMS shipping.

Is it worth the $66 or would I be better off searching for other cans under $100 ?

I dont really need another pair of cans, and I'm just in the mood to shop for some bargain stuff really, lol.

FWIW, I have Sony MDR MA900 & the Donscorpio Dolphin now for headphones, and have ES SM64/Re400/Phonak 112/Hisound Wooduo/Penon IEM (and GRO7 Bass on the way) for IEMs. Using IEMs about 75% of the time.

Had Senn Momentum, Grado SR80 & ATH M50 previously, sold them because I mainly use IEMs.

I'm pretty much omnivore when it comes to music, I listen to a whole range of stuffs, from 80s-90s hard rock, metal (ie Metallica), jazz, rap, some classical music, some "audiophile" vocal music etc. I guess at the moment current top 40/pop music is the only thing I dont listen to anymore, lol.

TIA
beerchug.gif

Aug 13, 2014 at 10:16 AM Post #5,979 of 35,472
Here is the minibreview of nonsensical
I noticed that you seemed to be interested in how this amp sounds. I have a Line5 A970 amplifier, and actually wrote up a comparison for another member earlier today. Here is my comparison:

My Topping NX1 arrived earlier today, and I've already had the time to have a bit of a listen (1 hour spent comparing the two amps). The Topping NX1 was set to high gain for this comparison, as I found low gain to be uninspiring.

Equipment used was:

Topping NX1, Line5 A970
Hisoundaudio Studio V Anv. 3
Soundmagic HP 100, Havi B3 Pro 1

Songs/Genres listened to:
Kpop (no-one will have an idea what these are)
Godzilla soundtrack by Hans Zimmer
Eskimo Joe - Black Fingernails, Red Wine
Yui - Rolling Star
Gabrielle Aplin - The Power of Love
Richard Clayderman - Ballade Pour Adeline

Apart from Eskimo Joe, the songs were either 320kbps or FLAC files. The Eskimo Joe song was 192kbps. Surprisingly, it was also the only song I preferred the NX1 over the A970 amp.

Quick summary of what I heard:

Topping had better bass impact and more bass, as well as more intimate vocals - I think this was due to a more boosted midrange compared to the A970. The overall sound signature was also much more laidback and relaxed.

The A970 had better clarity, soundstage and instrument separation. It was also a brighter amp, but I think it's a better match with both the DAP and headphones I chose to review it with. It also seemed to handle fast songs better than the NX1. Rolling Star is a song that feels fast, and can also feel messy at times. The A970 kept up with everything quite well, whereas the NX1 seemed to slow the entire song down slightly. It made the song easier to follow and listen to, but less aggressive, and true to the nature of the song.

Form and factor:

The A970 is lighter than the Topping, but also larger. The A970 dimensions are as such (8.3x5x2.1cm) not including the volume knob. The NX1 is (7.6x5.6x1.3cm), not including the volume knob.

The A970 has no gain switch, and also looks a little less well made compared to the NX1. Mine came with one of the screws loose, which was an easy fix, but still worrying in terms of QC - for me at least. The sound more than makes up for it, as well as the price of course.

I know that EMI noise was an issue with the NX1, and I plan on testing that with the Line5 amp next, as soon as I actually load some songs onto my phone. I'm also considering a comparison of the accessories that both amplifiers arrived with, especially the stock interconnects, both of which were abandoned as soon as the amplifiers arrived.

By the way, there is no EMI issue with the Line5 amp.

Aug 13, 2014 at 10:32 AM Post #5,980 of 35,472
I have them and they are great.  Nice hard case, detachable cable...maybe check this one out...    ♫ ♫ ♫

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/kz-lp2-folding-headphones-professional-grade-fever-HIFI-headphones-standard-definition-bass-sound-balance/1987259504.html

Aug 13, 2014 at 10:37 AM Post #5,981 of 35,472
  Hi all,
long time lurker here.

Am thinking of getting the vmoda clone / KZ LP2 from here http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Kz-lp2-folding-headset-hifi-professional-standard-bass-earphones-balancing/615477_1747508927.html

Price is $60 + another $16 for EMS shipping.

Is it worth the $66 or would I be better off searching for other cans under $100 ?

I dont really need another pair of cans, and I'm just in the mood to shop for some bargain stuff really, lol.

FWIW, I have Sony MDR MA900 & the Donscorpio Dolphin now for headphones, and have ES SM64/Re400/Phonak 112/Hisound Wooduo/Penon IEM (and GRO7 Bass on the way) for IEMs. Using IEMs about 75% of the time.

Had Senn Momentum, Grado SR80 & ATH M50 previously, sold them because I mainly use IEMs.

I'm pretty much omnivore when it comes to music, I listen to a whole range of stuffs, from 80s-90s hard rock, metal (ie Metallica), jazz, rap, some classical music, some "audiophile" vocal music etc. I guess at the moment current top 40/pop music is the only thing I dont listen to anymore, lol.

TIA
beerchug.gif

I have them and they are great.  Nice hard case, detachable cable...maybe check this one out... and save $34   ♫ ♫ ♫

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/kz-lp2-folding-headphones-professional-grade-fever-HIFI-headphones-standard-definition-bass-sound-balance/1987259504.html

Aug 13, 2014 at 10:54 AM Post #5,983 of 35,472
  I have them and they are great.  Nice hard case, detachable cable...maybe check this one out... and save $34   ♫ ♫ ♫

TYVM Charliemotta
beerchug.gif

Think I read in the KZ thread or somewhere here, that the sellers saying they are flagship store or such are not really KZ reps, and that no matter what free shipping method you choose they will end up shipping the cans using china post.

Then again, I guess you cant really complain, it's free shipping after all
biggrin.gif

Will try to order, will probably give them to my kids anyways, lol
biggrin.gif

Cheers !
beerchug.gif

Aug 13, 2014 at 11:05 AM Post #5,985 of 35,472

TYVM Charliemotta
beerchug.gif

Think I read in the KZ thread or somewhere here, that the sellers saying they are flagship store or such are not really KZ reps, and that no matter what free shipping method you choose they will end up shipping the cans using china post.

Then again, I guess you cant really complain, it's free shipping after all
biggrin.gif

Will try to order, will probably give them to my kids anyways, lol
biggrin.gif

Cheers !
beerchug.gif

Yeah I know, but I still got my shipment in 2 weeks so for me that's pretty much the norm..     ♫ ♫

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back