Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs)
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 20, 2014 at 7:19 AM Post #3,046 of 35,472
Received DM2, using red nozzle yes it has stronger bass than KC06 but not overbearing the rest of frequency. Got the silver cable edition without mic and I don't have the silver nozzle, so I guess they've done away with it for my batch.

Which ones do you prefer? Considering both of them. Also, is the silver cable better? The mic could come handy for me (will use my phone as source), so ideally the normal cable should be good as well...

May 20, 2014 at 7:46 AM Post #3,047 of 35,472
I've got a question for the people owning the ED1 and the pistons.
How are these two compared in terms of sound- and build quality and comfort?
I like alot of bass but the mids and highs need to be clear and present as well.

Trying to make a decision between these two for a little while but seems I need a little help.
Thanks in advance.

May 20, 2014 at 8:14 AM Post #3,048 of 35,472
Interesting I have the KC06 as well and these are on my radar....you thoughts on how the two compare would be most welcome.
The kc06 is clearer and more detailed in the midrange and treble area, but that's not to take away from the dm2 (the kc06 is just that good in these areas). The dm2 is airy and open with good width (red tips) and separation. Coming from the kc06 you might think the treble is rolled off but give it time to show its strengths. The mids are forward and almost peaky at times, but not in a bad way. The low end is special on these. Because of this, the dm2 is better capable of playing every genre of music without feeling something is missing in the low end. I think these are just right in terms of bass quantity/quality. They would be a good compliment to the kc06, because they are just as good but in a different way from the kc06 IMHO

May 20, 2014 at 8:21 AM Post #3,049 of 35,472
Which ones do you prefer? Considering both of them. Also, is the silver cable better? The mic could come handy for me (will use my phone as source), so ideally the normal cable should be good as well...

For my preference KC06 is better, that's why I'm not sure if I will hold on to this. Don't know the difference between silver and mic version, I just don't need it so I thought might as well.

May 20, 2014 at 8:28 AM Post #3,050 of 35,472
The kc06 is clearer and more detailed in the midrange and treble area, but that's not to take away from the dm2 (the kc06 is just that good in these areas). The dm2 is airy and open with good width (red tips) and separation. Coming from the kc06 you might think the treble is rolled off but give it time to show its strengths. The mids are forward and almost peaky at times, but not in a bad way. The low end is special on these. Because of this, the dm2 is better capable of playing every genre of music without feeling something is missing in the low end. I think these are just right in terms of bass quantity/quality. They would be a good compliment to the kc06, because they are just as good but in a different way from the kc06 IMHO

I would appreciate any opinions between the Zero Audio Tenore's and the Sidy DM2's. Probably in time I will own both but for now I can only do one more iem.

May 20, 2014 at 12:50 PM Post #3,052 of 35,472
For my preference KC06 is better, that's why I'm not sure if I will hold on to this. Don't know the difference between silver and mic version, I just don't need it so I thought might as well.

In theory, and from my experience of testing different cables on W40, a more pure audio cable will have a lower impedance which improves the efficiency of headphones and also brightens the sound (more clarity and details in upper mids, more sparkle in treble).  When adding in-line remote you are interrupting the signal flow, changing impedance, adding reflection, etc.  Ok, it's not really that bad with in-line remote :) but for purity of the sound and considering a wire can be looked at as a filter - silver wire will give you a better sound quality.  Actually, it's most likely not a pure silver but rather silver plated OFC copper wire (similar to FiiO's RC-SE1 cable I use on my W40).

May 20, 2014 at 1:23 PM Post #3,053 of 35,472

In theory, and from my experience of testing different cables on W40, a more pure audio cable will have a lower impedance which improves the efficiency of headphones and also brightens the sound (more clarity and details in upper mids, more sparkle in treble).  When adding in-line remote you are interrupting the signal flow, changing impedance, adding reflection, etc.  Ok, it's not really that bad with in-line remote :) but for purity of the sound and considering a wire can be looked at as a filter - silver wire will give you a better sound quality.  Actually, it's most likely not a pure silver but rather silver plated OFC copper wire (similar to FiiO's RC-SE1 cable I use on my W40).

Is the difference clearly noticable?

May 20, 2014 at 1:35 PM Post #3,054 of 35,472
  Is the difference clearly noticable?

Using W40 and UE900 with X5 and the same 320kbps or FLAC audio source and switching between their stock audio cables, stock in-line remote cables, and RC-SE1 silver plated cable - on both headphones I got a boost in volume and sound got brighter.  It wasn't night'n'day change, but it was noticeable.  It doesn't mean the same difference will be observed between DM2 with silver cable and in-line remote cable.  In there, the difference could be minimal and the added value of in-line remote would be a lot higher.  But in my personal opinion, if you have a choice between two different cable options and you can live without remote - go with an audio cable.  Of course, ideally I would pick a headset with removable cables!  which to my surprise nobody is offering in this Chinese/Asian budget price bracket.  If Audio-Technica was able to offer ATH-IM50 (dual dynamic driver) with RC for $72, then it's feasible!

May 20, 2014 at 1:51 PM Post #3,055 of 35,472
Hmm listening again, KC06 has better width, depth and layering than DM2 but the ceiling is slightly lower on the Ostry, it can't match the bass impact of DM2 at all though.

@twister6
Do you hear any treble peak with yours?

May 20, 2014 at 2:08 PM Post #3,056 of 35,472
Hmm listening again, KC06 has better width, depth and layering than DM2 but the ceiling is slightly lower on the Ostry, it can't match the bass impact of DM2 at all though.

@twister6

The KC06A has more bass impact that you desire, and keeps a lot of the KC06 signature while improving the soundstage.

May 20, 2014 at 4:21 PM Post #3,059 of 35,472

@twister6

I think I mentioned in one of the replies, not sure here or another forum, DM2 upper mids sounds a bit inaccurate/unnatural to my ears.  Perhaps we are talking about the same thing were you refer to treble peak?  I didn't sense any sibilance, and they were not too bright for my taste.  Also keep in mind, I'm using included AT large size tips with a small bore.  But I was so happy with a bass punch of DM2 that I didn't mind other shortcoming.  Now, reading about KC06A - man, that might be ultimate for me :)

I'm still playing a catch up game with you guys, waiting for MOE-SS01 (fascinated about that dual barrel design) and KC06 (curious how they stack up to RE400).  Let me enjoy these for a little bit before I step into KC06A lol!!!

May 20, 2014 at 4:22 PM Post #3,060 of 35,472
And I'll wait for the layering and depth improved version
wink.gif

and removable cable too, using Linum thin wire cable with MMCX connectors :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back