Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 6, 2014 at 12:50 AM Post #1,816 of 35,472

Just received the Astrotec X34, Moxpad X2 and the Pistons and have the same problem with the pistons. Tried to swap around some of the tips from the other models and they seem to fit the earphone but still can't get a good seal. Also stole the tips off my JVC HA-FXD80-Z, again they fit but can't get a good seal. I Have large ear canals so I am always limited, most the tip varieties come in medium sizes. Ordered some double flange tips from Earphones Plus on amazon ( http://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00I13H3GC ) . Could not find any reviews on Head-Fi, I'll post my finding once I receive them, should be in the next few days. Also gonna try and review the great headphones I got thanks to this thread.

Thanks everyone! So far the reviews have been bang on!

Got the double flange tips today, they fit the Pistons perfectly and they seal very well. Build quality is decent, one tip is miscut causing it not to seal correctly, but I wont fault them for it at these prices. The tips have a lip on the inside shaft so they grab the nozzle and stay on tight. I would post pictures, but I don't have that permission yet. The pictures on amazon are accurate, they have a narrow depth ( about 7.5mm ) this seems to work well with the Pistons, the back of the second flange sits just in front of the housing . The sound after getting a good seal has improved dramatically as expected, the bass is now full and the mids have improved as well. Isolation hasn't improved from the stock tips, I can clearly hear the conversation of the tv show playing in the background of my room.

I also tried the tips with the Astrotec AX35's and the Moxpad X2's. They seat really well on the Astrotec's, much like the Piston's they lock into the groove on the nozzle. Not as happy about the seating on the Moxpad's. The Moxpad's don't have a cutout on the nozzle and the tip slides down too far, the end of the nozzle sits flush with the tip end. While using them with the AX35's I couldn't get them to seal, seems the narrow depth is to blame, I preferred the stock tips. As for the Moxpad's, they do seal well, but I can't see myself using them due to the seating.

Last impressions, they suit the pistons and my unusually large ear canals but they may not be for everyone. Possible applications are limited to the narrow depth, I would of liked deeper flanges. For the price definitely worth a try for people not wanting to spend a lot of money for tip rolling, especially in Canad where ordering over the border can sometimes be expensive.

Mar 6, 2014 at 8:37 AM Post #1,818 of 35,472
OK, some initial thoughts on the Havi B3 Pro's (original):
Soundstage and clarity are top notch, best I ever heard in any IEM, it's pretty hard to believe that these have dynamic drivers. They have a very nice air to the sound and listening to Amber Rubarth's "Sessions From the 17'th Ward (Binaural)" sure brings out the smile.

As said before I really like my modded (filters/resistors removed and cotton added) B3 Pro ii's but the original pro is very different. The one thing common for the two of them are the very natural voice reproduction. While my modded pair has a pretty narrow soundstage and an overall darker soundsignature the original ones are more bright and, as already mentioned, offers a great soundstage. My modded pair also have an excellent bass reproduction that hits low, hard and clear while this is clearly the weak point of the originals.

I actually only have one pair of IEM's (the UE600's) that I use any EQ on but the original Pro's really need this as well to be enjoyable to me. I don't like my music without the hump and to me it's abscent on these without a bass boast. Setting the bass on my X3 to +4 (I use +2 for the UE600's, maximum is +10) makes them feel great for me. I think it's a bit sad that the don't offer more bass without EQ since I don't like using it normally. Still I'm happy that the result is so good since I would not enjoyed them otherwise. With the extra bass added they right there at the top with my other favourite IEM's and they might very well turn out to be number one when I get a bit more time with them.

Kudos to bhazard for bringing these to my attention and a big thanks to the ones of you who made them available again as well :beerchug:  

Edit: My last couple of puchases, Don Scorpio Dolphin and the original B3 Pro, has really been great. I might actually just enjoy these for a while now before getting something more. To top these in value any newcomers must really be something special.

Update 7/3-14:
I couldn't let go of the idea of getting more bass out of the B3 Pro's without the need for eq so I brought out all the tips I've got and started testing. I managed to squeeze on a pair of random triple flanges and deep insert them in my ear canals and WOW!

A very slight decrease in soundstage maybe but an overall much fuller sound and enough bass without any kind of bass boast. The small amount of silbliance I could detect earlier is now completely gone as well. As an extra bonus they also stay much better in my ears now, as a matter of fact I'm pretty sure that I'd be able to use them when working out without any problem at all.

Mar 6, 2014 at 9:24 AM Post #1,819 of 35,472
I think when they tried to increase the bass, the Pro II happened, and it just doesn't have the same sound as the original. The Pro 1 has a WORLD CLASS soundstage and clarity to it. No other earphone separates quite like they do. It's hard to put into words, but you clearly hear each channel in the mix per ear.

I agree with the bass boost too. I actually like that you can apply the boost on your own, and it doesn't distort. That's how I prefer it.

When they were ~$45 they were an incredible value, and they still are at $58. I listened to them off my Aune T1 for 2 hours last night, and they were just awesome. My favorite.

Mar 6, 2014 at 9:32 AM Post #1,820 of 35,472
I think you're right. I would love a baby from my two Havi's though, best of both world's :wink:

I've not used them with any of my stationary gear yet. I would also think that some nice tubes would be a good match, I'll need to try that.

Mar 6, 2014 at 9:32 AM Post #1,821 of 35,472
  OK, some initial thoughts on the Havi B3 Pro's (original):
Soundstage and clarity are top notch, best I ever heard in any IEM, it's pretty hard to believe that these have dynamic drivers. They have a very nice air to the sound and listening to Amber Rubarth's "Sessions From the 17'th Ward (Binaural)" sure brings out the smile.

As said before I really like my modded (filters/resistors removed and cotton added) B3 Pro ii's but the original pro is very different. The one thing common for the two of them are the very natural voice reproduction. While my modded pair has a pretty narrow soundstage and an overall darker soundsignature the original ones are more bright and, as already mentioned, offers a great soundstage. My modded pair also have an excellent bass reproduction that hits low, hard and clear while this is clearly the weak point of the originals.

I actually only have one pair of IEM's (the UE600's) that I use any EQ on but the original Pro's really need this as well to be enjoyable to me. I don't like my music without the hump and to me it's abscent on these without a bass boast. Setting the bass on my X3 to +4 (I use +2 for the UE600's, maximum is +10) makes them feel great for me. I think it's a bit sad that the don't offer more bass without EQ since I don't like using it normally. Still I'm happy that the result is so good since I would not enjoyed them otherwise. With the extra bass added they right there at the top with my other favourite IEM's and they might very well turn out to be number one when I get a bit more time with them.

Kudos to bhazard for bringing these to my attention and a big thanks to the ones of you who made them available again as well 
beerchug.gif

Edit: My last couple of puchases, Don Scorpio Dolphin and the original B3 Pro, has really been great. I might actually just enjoy these for a while now before getting something more. To top these in value any newcomers must really be something special.

Thank you very much for sharing your impressions Peter123!

I like wide soundstage, great clarity and mids. I am not basshead. But I also like good bass response.  Especially if they go very low fq (if needed).

I have questions about bass response and to clarify this can you please give me some more information about mid-bass and deep bass responses? Can you compare them to Sony MH1C or GR07 in this regard?

Many thanks!

Mar 6, 2014 at 9:41 AM Post #1,822 of 35,472
Without eq there's almost no deep bass at all and not very much mid bass either.

I've never heard the gr07 and I don't like the MH1C to much because the boomy bass so they're nowhere near those levels even with bass boast on.

Mar 6, 2014 at 9:44 AM Post #1,823 of 35,472
Without eq there's almost no deep bass at all and not very much mid bass either.

I've never heard the gr07 and I don't like the MH1C to much because the boomy bass so they're nowhere near those levels even with bass boast on.

It's there, it's just flatline neutral, and most people don't like that. They actually extend deeper than the RE-400 and A161P.

Mar 6, 2014 at 9:48 AM Post #1,824 of 35,472

From your impressions I am going to conclude that these iems are best for vocal music and not suited for rock  and electronica?

So is it possible to modify them in any way to get more bass out of them? Bhazard, I beleive you're more experienced on these?

Or may be you need more burn-in peter 123?

Mar 6, 2014 at 9:51 AM Post #1,825 of 35,472
Damn phone, it all disappeared!

What I wrote was that I find the bass unnaturally weak but that might just be my need for the hump talking.

Btw, the reason why I don't like eqing is that I use 2-3 different sources daily and I like to just unplug and plug in the headphones and listen without any extra work, I'm lazy.

In the case with the Havi's it's totally worth it though!

Mar 6, 2014 at 9:54 AM Post #1,826 of 35,472
I seriously doubt more burn in will help. I might actually try to mod them later on since I got such good result with my pair of the new version before.

If you've got the possibility to use a source or amp with bass boast they're a no brainer.

Mar 6, 2014 at 9:56 AM Post #1,827 of 35,472
Do any of you share a photo while the B3 on your ears? If not can you share a photo please? 
popcorn.gif

From the photos of the iem alone it seems that the housing is large. My ears are not so large and I am afraid its not going to sit on the concha
confused.gif

Mar 6, 2014 at 9:58 AM Post #1,828 of 35,472
I seriously doubt more burn in will help. I might actually try to mod them later on since I got such good result with my pair of the new version before.

If you've got the possibility to use a source or amp with bass boast they're a no brainer.

Thank you peter123 for replies.

I have 3 diffrent sources (Ipod Touch 4th gen, Sansa Fuze and Galaxy S2) and 2 diffrent mobile amps (Fiio E11 and Shelbrook Audio MiniHead Signature). But I usually prefer to listen iems without an amp (because of mobility).

Mar 6, 2014 at 10:06 AM Post #1,829 of 35,472
I've got small ears as well but find them very comfortable, I even sleep with them.

Baycode, as I said I really need the bass hump to be happy and there's no problem getting it with eq or bass boast so don't worry.

Mar 6, 2014 at 10:21 AM Post #1,830 of 35,472
I've got small ears as well but find them very comfortable, I even sleep with them.

Baycode, as I said I really need the bass hump to be happy and there's no problem getting it with eq or bass boast so don't worry.

OK, thank you peter123.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back