Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 23, 2014 at 5:49 PM Post #11,281 of 35,472
Well, no driver material is gonna convince me that burn in makes an appreciable difference, but these are really great. I wouldn't say they crush the VSD3S either. I'd say they keep up with it well though. It's definitely a steal at the price and a few price brackets above it. 

See that's where it's ok to hear things differently. :) For me since they have better micro detail, and wayyyy less sibilance, without the overbearing bass, they crush the VSD3S. Those small details, especially the sibilance, makes them a far better deal and IEM. Now next to my FX850, they sound like $50 IEMS, as they lack the refinement, bass quantity and articulation, and the grain in the mids, evident in the S-018, are completely void and smooth on the FX850. Though I will confess, I'm not that thrilled with how prominent the bass is on the FX850. There's no bleed at all, not a hint, but it's definitely a basshead IEM. I'd go as far as call it the TOTL basshead IEM. I guess over time I've come to enjoy a more linear approach. Still...these things take hip hop, rock, and pop to new levels of clarity and refinement.

Nov 23, 2014 at 5:58 PM Post #11,282 of 35,472
See that's where it's ok to hear things differently.
smily_headphones1.gif
For me since they have better micro detail, and wayyyy less sibilance, without the overbearing bass, they crush the VSD3S. Those small details, especially the sibilance, makes them a far better deal and IEM. Now next to my FX850, they sound like $50 IEMS, as they lack the refinement, bass quantity and articulation, and the grain in the mids, evident in the S-018, are completely void and smooth on the FX850. Though I will confess, I'm not that thrilled with how prominent the bass is on the FX850. There's no bleed at all, not a hint, but it's definitely a basshead IEM. I'd go as far as call it the TOTL basshead IEM. I guess over time I've come to enjoy a more linear approach. Still...these things take hip hop, rock, and pop to new levels of clarity and refinement.

Yeah, I think the common thread to see here is that they're clear, detailed, and awesome value. 

Nov 23, 2014 at 6:07 PM Post #11,283 of 35,472
Nov 23, 2014 at 6:39 PM Post #11,284 of 35,472
See that's where it's ok to hear things differently.
smily_headphones1.gif
For me since they have better micro detail, and wayyyy less sibilance, without the overbearing bass, they crush the VSD3S. Those small details, especially the sibilance, makes them a far better deal and IEM. Now next to my FX850, they sound like $50 IEMS, as they lack the refinement, bass quantity and articulation, and the grain in the mids, evident in the S-018, are completely void and smooth on the FX850. Though I will confess, I'm not that thrilled with how prominent the bass is on the FX850. There's no bleed at all, not a hint, but it's definitely a basshead IEM. I'd go as far as call it the TOTL basshead IEM. I guess over time I've come to enjoy a more linear approach. Still...these things take hip hop, rock, and pop to new levels of clarity and refinement.

Even with spiral dot tips?  Can you use a wider bore tips to open up highs?

Nov 23, 2014 at 6:51 PM Post #11,285 of 35,472

No, I won't say again. 
biggrin.gif
 Thank you twister6. This will be definitely my next purchase.

Oh, they should be a nice opposite to my VSD3S, fitting seens to be excellent, and lightweight.
Plus, can be used with the cable over the ear, it`s a "I`m going to buy it!"
They just need to appear on Aliexpress...

These are more enjoyable when you don't compare them to other brighter IEMs :wink:  And btw, these are not bloated like DGS100.  I actually had a little listening session today and really enjoyed it!  To be honest, I probably enjoy fitment and noise isolation even more than actual ss.  Works great wire up and down, though with wire down strain relief from the shell sticks out a little bit while with wire up over the ear these earplugs disappear.

Also as I mentioned before, if these have "audiophile" quality tuning I would probably stay away from a/i versions since lower quality cable and narrower bandwidth going to increase bass bloat and reduce upper range clarity.

Regarding deals, I thought Hifiman taobao store had them priced ridiculously low?

Nov 23, 2014 at 6:58 PM Post #11,286 of 35,472
Even with spiral dot tips?  Can you use a wider bore tips to open up highs?

Spiral dots come with it. Highs are already open and sparkly. Well extended. Bass is BIG and prominent. It just doesn't work for me with fast metal. The bass. Everything else is beautiful, and really so is the bass. It's just thoomb thoomb. Dannybai in the discovery thread mentioned the Fx650 as being warmer, less bass, with slightly less extended highs, but still sounding awesome, and THAT is my preferred sound signature!! Plus a smaller fit! These 850 are massive bolts, man. Now I'm kicking myself for not getting the FX650 from the start?! So I'm packing the 850's, and getting the 650's. :) HOOWAH!

Nov 23, 2014 at 7:15 PM Post #11,287 of 35,472
These are more enjoyable when you don't compare them to other brighter IEMs :wink:  And btw, these are not bloated like DGS100.  I actually had a little listening session today and really enjoyed it!  To be honest, I probably enjoy fitment and noise isolation even more than actual ss.  Works great wire up and down, though with wire down strain relief from the shell sticks out a little bit while with wire up over the ear these earplugs disappear.

Also as I mentioned before, if these have "audiophile" quality tuning I would probably stay away from a/i versions since lower quality cable and narrower bandwidth going to increase bass bloat and reduce upper range clarity.

Regarding deals, I thought Hifiman taobao store had them priced ridiculously low?

You hit it right on the head. The 300i is a bass bloaty, blurry highs mess. The 300h is IMHO only on the cusp of "audiophile". Even the S-018 are a better sounding value. Plus the glue on my left strain relief is coming off, causing separation, so build quality is now suspect for me. It's decent though for a beater pair for the gym or running.

Nov 23, 2014 at 7:59 PM Post #11,289 of 35,472
super-fast delivery to boot!

were supposed to arrive by Tuesday but here I am listening to them on a Sunday evening :L3000:  

I just took the Sony hybrids off, and put the JVC spiral dots on. Sacrifices some bass presence for a more open and airy soundstage. Still deciding which I prefer? What a gem for $6-12.

Nov 24, 2014 at 4:08 AM Post #11,291 of 35,472
Almost 8x more expensive, i think that theyre really good for the price asked.

I see no point in hurting your ears, just because something is cheap.

Nov 24, 2014 at 5:45 AM Post #11,292 of 35,472
Well the thread starter actually liked them too which was the final stimulus for me to buy them (after having tried some other nice Aweis)
As I quote:

AWEI  en.awei.hk
IEM: s vi-90 (very good sound for the price), Q35 (big bass yet clear), Q9 (wood! very good neutral sound with deep bass extension),
ES800m (clear, big controlled bass, love them. $7 gems: (http://www.head-fi.org/t/630536/small-comparison-of-awei-es800m-best-bang-for-buck)
ES710i (there's a pattern here. another winner)).

Nov 24, 2014 at 8:51 AM Post #11,295 of 35,472
So.. Soundsoul S-018> or = VSD3S

VSD3S>ttpod

Soundsoul >ttpod???

Though I don't have Soundsoul, just think about its pre-hype price of $5.99 (seller picked up quickly on popularity once people started to buy it and doubled the price to $13), and consider that its actual cost is probably around $3.  So if you put this price in perspective and scale everything according to price/performance ratio, sounds to me like "giant slayers" not just "giant killers".  Can't comment about sound quality, though I have a bit of a doubt it will kill VSD3/3S.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back