Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 4, 2014 at 11:49 AM Post #3,526 of 35,472

A few days ago I rediscovered my M50.  Miss those as well, to the point where I decided it's time to upgrade to M50x lol!!!  And while I was playing M50, pulled Dolphins out, but their upper mids sounded weird.  Makes me wonder if it was a bad idea to remove those foam inserts (which I threw away).

I have M50 but have not heard the Dolphins. I think I may want to get the Dolphins from Penon Audio. I just bought Havi B3, the old version, from Penon and the shipping was quick. However my initial impression about B3 is that I think VSD1 sounds better.

Regarding Dolphins, I read about the foam mod and always wonder if there was a reason that the manufacturer put the foams in there in the first place.

Jun 4, 2014 at 11:51 AM Post #3,527 of 35,472
Regarding Dolphins, I read about the foam mod and always wonder if there was a reason that the manufacturer put the foams in there in the first place.

Any kind of foam placed over a driver is there to change the frequency response of the headphones.

I think it's to absorb some of the treble. I like it better with the foam removed, but I end up EQing down the treble some.

Jun 4, 2014 at 11:52 AM Post #3,528 of 35,472
How about Penon Audio: http://penonaudio.com/DONSCORPIO-Dolphin%20?manufacturer_id=45
I think that's where most of us bought the Dolphins
smily_headphones1.gif

Yeah they have them but they have the $20 shipping charge that I'm not too wild about. 

Jun 4, 2014 at 12:16 PM Post #3,533 of 35,472
Jun 4, 2014 at 12:29 PM Post #3,535 of 35,472

I have M50 but have not heard the Dolphins. I think I may want to get the Dolphins from Penon Audio. I just bought Havi B3, the old version, from Penon and the shipping was quick. However my initial impression about B3 is that I think VSD1 sounds better.

I might have to go back and listen with a fresh set of ears.  It's a tough act to follow after you spend a few hours listening to Tenores/Doppios/IM50.

Btw, as crazy as it sounds, but the reason I enjoyed IM03 was because of great bass and leveled detailed mids, and of course build quality with removable cables.  Now with IM50, though a little less soundstage and not as highly detailed, I actually prefer them over IM03.  The bass delivery is MUCH better, not to mention almost $300 price difference.  These are definitely belong in Giant Killer category.

Also, MOE SS01 guys actually manufactured IM50 dual dynamic "symphonic" drivers, but the sound of IM50 is completely different from SS01.  Unless you are willing to EQ down SS01, they are too bright for my taste.  IM50 hits a sweet spot, but be aware - after more burn in they are approaching basshead level!!!  and still able to deliver great vocals.

Jun 4, 2014 at 12:34 PM Post #3,536 of 35,472
The dm2 are distorted sounding midgets right out of the box...

Give them 100 hours of burn in and they are...

GIANT KILLERS! RAAAAAAAAGHER!

I'm not hyping it up (hide your credit card now lol!!!), but you gonna love IM50.  It's beyond me why AT US decided not to sell these.  The value and the sound of ATH-IM50 can easily approach legendary status level of ATH-M50.

Jun 4, 2014 at 12:40 PM Post #3,537 of 35,472
I might have to go back and listen with a fresh set of ears.  It's a tough act to follow after you spend a few hours listening to Tenores/Doppios/IM50.

Btw, as crazy as it sounds, but the reason I enjoyed IM03 was because of great bass and leveled detailed mids, and of course build quality with removable cables.  Now with IM50, though a little less soundstage and not as highly detailed, I actually prefer them over IM03.  The bass delivery is MUCH better, not to mention almost $300 price difference.  These are definitely belong in Giant Killer category.

Also, MOE SS01 guys actually manufactured IM50 dual dynamic "symphonic" drivers, but the sound of IM50 is completely different from SS01.  Unless you are willing to EQ down SS01, they are too bright for my taste.  IM50 hits a sweet spot, but be aware - after more burn in they are approaching basshead level!!!  and still able to deliver great vocals.
other blogs state that the im50 is designed to mimic the sound of the over the ear ath m50. Do you find this accurate?

Jun 4, 2014 at 12:54 PM Post #3,539 of 35,472

I'm not hyping it up (hide your credit card now lol!!!), but you gonna love IM50.  It's beyond me why AT US decided not to sell these.  The value and the sound of ATH-IM50 can easily approach legendary status level of ATH-M50.

From the model number, they could very well be the IEM version of the M50. 

Jun 4, 2014 at 12:57 PM Post #3,540 of 35,472
I'm not trying to start any trouble or anything, but at this point I'm liking my Tenores more than my B3's.  
You will absolutely like them Tenores more than the havi if you're not pushing the havi with the right source. The havi b3 needs an amplifier to shine. I use my fiio e18 with my havi, and I have to turn the gain to high, and use bass boost to unlock their full potential. The havi is more power hungry than most of my over the ears cans.

But man oh man, once you get the right source pushing the havi they are fabulous.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back