Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs)
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 18, 2016 at 4:59 PM Post #27,782 of 35,472

The SMSL M3 has rear RCA out, as well as USB and Optical In. More power than I know what to do with and its transportable, able to be powered by cellphones and the like. It is built like a tank and truly feels like a premium product in the hands. Even came with a small micro to micro USB cable to connect to phones, which is always appreciated! This one was worth every penny and I can suggest it to others with no hesitation.

The sound is clear, neutral and with a big soundstage. Crazy separation, can hear individual elements of a song very clearly. I am surprised by its clarity and resolution, especially considering the price point! Bravo SMSL :) 

Thanks for the heads up! Realizing it's not in the same class, but how would you compare it to your Mojo?
I've been twiddling my thumbs looking for an upgrade from my Fiio E10, starting to lust for the Mojo but at first balking at it's price, then the M9xx drop came along instilling some sense of urgency - and before I knew it I had warmed up to the price level (how quickly my sense of perspective get warped).
Still, if there is a good value upgrade that could get me off this insanity I'd be grateful - even if it didn't reach quite as high a level (but then, maybe half a year from now I'll still be eying the Mojo/M9xx : )

May 18, 2016 at 5:17 PM Post #27,783 of 35,472
Only thing I can probably fault the Maples on is isolation. Its not terrible but it could be a bit better. Need to turn volume up a bit to cover up outside noises where as the Easy UEs are able to block out noises and still have great sound at low volume. No biggie though. Still digging them. Gonna see if Medium Auvios remedy this a bit tonight

May 18, 2016 at 5:50 PM Post #27,784 of 35,472

Thanks for the heads up! Realizing it's not in the same class, but how would you compare it to your Mojo?
I've been twiddling my thumbs looking for an upgrade from my Fiio E10, starting to lust for the Mojo but at first balking at it's price, then the M9xx drop came along instilling some sense of urgency - and before I knew it I had warmed up to the price level (how quickly my sense of perspective get warped).
Still, if there is a good value upgrade that could get me off this insanity I'd be grateful - even if it didn't reach quite as high a level (but then, maybe half a year from now I'll still be eying the Mojo/M9xx : )

Welcome to head-fi and sorry for your wallet! The bolded part is how the madness starts believe me :p  The Mojo was a loaner unit from a review tour some time back so I can't directly compare them, but it goes without saying they are in different performance tiers. I think the M3 is more of a competitor to the FiiO E10, so it might be a side grade for you at worst. 

What are u looking for in terms of connectivity options?

May 18, 2016 at 6:35 PM Post #27,786 of 35,472

Welcome to head-fi and sorry for your wallet! The bolded part is how the madness starts believe me :p  The Mojo was a loaner unit from a review tour some time back so I can't directly compare them, but it goes without saying they are in different performance tiers. I think the M3 is more of a competitor to the FiiO E10, so it might be a side grade for you at worst. 

What are u looking for in terms of connectivity options?

Thanks John!
As long as I can hook it up to a laptop via USB and drive IEMs and a Fidelio X2 off of it I'm good. Would be nice if it could be powered by USB alone. RCA line out and optical in, and ability to use with a smart phone would be bonuses, but I can easily live without.

May 18, 2016 at 8:27 PM Post #27,787 of 35,472
Received the Zero Audio Tenore yesterday.
And my ears were not lying to me, the highs do sound off.
The symbals sound like they are made from cheap metal. As Peter said, I do think this is due to the highs rolling of too early.
Which is a shame because otherwise their sound signature is magnificent. Powerful and rumbling while holding balance, I love it.
Since I paid half of what I paid a few years back, I'll keep these babies for when I need some dirty rocking to do.

Next, the wait for the 808s...

May 18, 2016 at 8:47 PM Post #27,788 of 35,472
Got home and my Monk Plus were waiting for me. Shipping has just been saying received at USSFO the past couple days so it was a surprise. Also bc I thought I had them shipped to my work! Brought my donuts to work yesterday too so I'd be ready when they came so I'm using the stock covers right now. Listening via my portable setup... Great now I may have to try more expensive ear buds. These are fantastic.

May 18, 2016 at 9:06 PM Post #27,789 of 35,472
Does the M3 sound good with low-impedance cans and IEMs? They're 75€ on amazon, maybe I have something to consider after parting with my Schiit Stack
smily_headphones1.gif

I don't have any low imdepenace cans per say but my takstar pro 80 sounds good with it, and iems are okay but it is a powerful amp with no gain switch. So if its super sensitive you might have to play with the software volume to get it a more comfortable volume. I have a few super sensitive ones which I will test with and get back to you.

May 18, 2016 at 9:08 PM Post #27,790 of 35,472
  Oh wow. I don't think they're quite the same standard as those! They look amazing.

+1.....I think they both look amazing!

I love the way the K4 can authoritatively hit the low C at 32 Hz on one of my test songs. (Serve You by Chris Whitley). For a good while the K4 has been my pocket IEM. One of my primary IEM uses is one that is very durable, not MMCX, with a mic, and able to be quickly wadded in a pocket without fear with its price/durability ratio. The K4 has been my go-to IEM for this. (As have the Zircons, KZs, Tennmak Dulcimer, and LG Quadbeat 3 have all filled this role.)

However, I just got the HLSX 808 with mic, and I think it is my new pocket king. :) First thought is it is about equal to the **** UES in SQ and signature, but will compare properly after more burn in.

Yea, they really do hit the sweet spot!.....and they're really easy to listen to for several hours at a time! 
ksc75smile.gif

May 18, 2016 at 10:44 PM Post #27,791 of 35,472
I did a bit of A/B comparison of the HLSX 808 with ~30 hours to the **** UES with 100+ hours. I was right that they are very similar. In terms of sound quality, both are excellent where you here lots of micro-details. The 808 has more subbass and midbass, while the **** UES has a more forward midrange, but both are not far from being balanced. Treble is similar and great on both. They are basically the same price, and I won't call a winner on sound, but for me, the 808 wins due to the mic and non-removable cable.

When a few people thought the 808 was light on bass I was worried, but I shouldn't have been, there is a ton of available deep bass, it just isn't exaggerated.

May 18, 2016 at 10:56 PM Post #27,792 of 35,472
  I did a bit of A/B comparison of the HLSX 808 with ~30 hours to the **** UES with 100+ hours. I was right that they are very similar. In terms of sound quality, both are excellent where you here lots of micro-details. The 808 has more subbass and midbass, while the **** UES has a more forward midrange, but both are not far from being balanced. Treble is similar and great on both. They are basically the same price, and I won't call a winner on sound, but for me, the 808 wins due to the mic and non-removable cable.

When a few people thought the 808 was light on bass I was worried, but I shouldn't have been, there is a ton of available deep bass, it just isn't exaggerated.

You made me move my pillow and blanked next to the mailbox
frown.gif

May 18, 2016 at 10:58 PM Post #27,793 of 35,472
  My TK13 are at the SF ISC as of this morning so I should have them tomorrow afternoon along with my headphone splitter so the Maples & 13's will be able to get the burn in treatment together. My Monks are still a mystery, Singapore Post sucks, oh well

everytime i remember Singapore Post now i will remember violation lol

May 18, 2016 at 11:08 PM Post #27,794 of 35,472

Thank you very much!

I am about to pull the trigger on the 808! I love my **** UEs but I find their treble a bit sibilant while the bass lacking. 

May 18, 2016 at 11:08 PM Post #27,795 of 35,472

Thanks John!
As long as I can hook it up to a laptop via USB and drive IEMs and a Fidelio X2 off of it I'm good. Would be nice if it could be powered by USB alone. RCA line out and optical in, and ability to use with a smart phone would be bonuses, but I can easily live without.

Actually the SMSL m3 would fit all those needs haha. I love how it sounds personally. Its designed to be powered by phones but it obviously won't fit in a pocket. If you didn't need optical in, the FiiO E17K would be a great choice.

I do use the M3 with line out to my main amp, the VE RA 2.0, which is what I do with my X7 as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back