CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
May 5, 2019 at 4:48 PM Post #17,686 of 31,833
Ah, you need earbuds or ‘earpod’ style phones my friend.

A dangerous profession? You aren’t one of those people who change the anti-airplane light bulbs on top of tall towers are you?

Almost I work on elevators

May 5, 2019 at 4:54 PM Post #17,687 of 31,833
If you have regular earbuds you can try them by looping the cable over your ears.
The last pair of earbuds I owned was a cheap pair that came with an mp3 player something like 15 years ago and I traded them to a friend for a bottle of Dr Pepper and considered myself as having gotten the better half of the deal. :p

May 5, 2019 at 6:10 PM Post #17,688 of 31,833
The last pair of earbuds I owned was a cheap pair that came with an mp3 player something like 15 years ago and I traded them to a friend for a bottle of Dr Pepper and considered myself as having gotten the better half of the deal. :p

If it was Dr. Pepper in the tall returnable 70s/80s glass bottle and made with cane sugar, you did get the better deal lol

Last edited:
May 5, 2019 at 8:24 PM Post #17,689 of 31,833
Have you tried the kZ ZS3/ZS4/ZS3E? I only own the ZS3 but the three I mentioned are all V-Shaped from what I've heard. Also, since the ZS4 and ZS3E have the same shape as the ZS3, you should be getting suction-like isolation I haven't experienced with any other IEMs.

You guys sure that the KZ ZS3s have better isolation for small ears than the ZSR? They seem like they're bigger and stick out more.

I don't like the V-Shaped but I've given up on trying to find something flat, all these cheaper under-$30 Chinese ones I've tried are heavy on the bass I just need them for the bus, I get the sound signature I want from earbuds at home.

May 5, 2019 at 8:34 PM Post #17,690 of 31,833
You guys sure that the KZ ZS3s have better isolation for small ears than the ZSR? They seem like they're bigger and stick out more.

I don't like the V-Shaped but I've given up on trying to find something flat, all these cheaper under-$30 Chinese ones I've tried are heavy on the bass I just need them for the bus, I get the sound signature I want from earbuds at home.

Maybe try the BQEYZ KB100. You can find some reviews on here. I love mine and do not consider them V shape. Like you, I enjoy buds. Signing off for tonight though... 1:30 am here.

May 5, 2019 at 8:54 PM Post #17,691 of 31,833

Well, I can’t speak for small ears. But the ZS3/4 have extreme isolation. ZSR housing is larger/bulkier and does not isolate as well as ZS3/4.

As far as the fit of ZS3/4, it is hit or miss with people. You just have to try it, and it’s either gonna fit like a glove or not at all. And as far as ZSR, that’s pretty bulky even for my ears, so if you have really small ears I’d say it’s probably not going to fit.

Regardless, the ZS3, ZS4, and ZSR are all v shaped. So if you’re looking for something with a flat signature you shouldn’t really be looking at any KZs honestly.

There are flat signature IEM options available though, depending on your budget.

May 5, 2019 at 8:58 PM Post #17,692 of 31,833
Just received the Headroom MS16 today, these buds rock
Does MS16 has lots of sound leakage? Means i I listen to the music using MS16, will it leak sound so much so that the nearest person or someone else in comparatively quiet room can also listen what exactly I am listening? I heard they are good earbuds and someone suggested me also but I was not sure due to open back design.

May 5, 2019 at 9:09 PM Post #17,693 of 31,833
DZAT DF-10(N??) Review/Rant - Rated N for Nerfed

Introduction

Alright! Today I'm going to shed some light into an old "classic" chi-fi, the wooden DZAT DF-10.

Why the quotations, you may ask? Because despite still being in stock on Aliexpress, it unfortunately isn't the classic DF-10 that some may know of.

I, unfortunately, was one of the recent victims in this bogus DF-10 scam. I bought these bad boys for CAD $20, hoping to hear the "sharp and crisp, very precise and detailed" highs that Igor describes in his review. None of that came true in the pair that I got. But before I start my furious rant/review with these sad little IEMs, let me first start off with the positives: the unboxing and design.

Unboxing

For the sake of being positive, let's just pretend that this was the original DF-10.

mVm6R3s.jpg

First off, we are greeted with a nice cardboard packaging that blends well with the whole wooden theme.

JFVcmFw.jpg

Inside the box, we are further greeted with an abundance of small cardboard compartments which foreshadows the ample amount of goodies we get along with the earphones.

EwTxRMX.jpg

And boy oh boy do we get a lot of accessories!

Ouh1D4l.jpg

I mean, for crying out loud they even gave us a wooden pen and notebook LOL!

Now onto the design.

Build Quality and Design

Cx9njIc.jpg

Honestly, regardless of how bad the sound quality is, you cannot deny that these wooden IEMs are a looker! The main reason why you'd buy this over another IEM is solely because of their wooden housings. In general, the build quality is very good. The fabric cable is thick and durable, and I love the coffee color accents which compliment the red ebony wood. Overall they feel well built.

If you need more convincing, I'll let this GIF do the rest of the talking.

giphy.gif

Sound Quality

Now here is where the tables turn...

After seeing the FR curves for this, I already had my mind fixed on what I was expecting (a bright v-shaped IEM).

So with this expectation in mind, I happily shoved them into my ears and hoped for the best, but little did I know the bitter sense of disappointment that I was about to feel...

tenor.gif

UMMMM.... WHERE ARE THE HIGHS!?!?!?!?!? What??????

6YkZUrk.png

Do you know how disorientating it is when what you so confidently assumed to be true turns out to be false? That is exactly my experience with the DF-10. I felt like a confused Mr. Krabs.

THEY. LITERALLY. HAVE. NO. HIGHS.

This ain't a V-shaped IEM, it's a downright blatant L-shaped IEM. The bass is VERY emphasized. Sub-bass goes insanely deep and rumbles like two sumo wrestlers in a fight. Bassdrums on EDM dominate the track. They can most definitely be considered basshead IEMs. Mids are okay, I feel like they are the only part that DZAT didn't nerf. They aren't special in any way, but at least they sound smooth and natural and not colorated. And what the frick man??? The highs (4Khz-20Khz) are completely rolled off, and I mean COMPLETELY. There is no sense of airiness at all, no clarity in vocals, no definition, nothing. They just sound dark and blanketed, exactly the opposite of what other reviews say. I had to EQ the treble to the max in order for the highs to open up, but even then the highs sound very primitive and not at all defined.

THE TRUTH ABOUT THE DF-10

As I have said multiple times, I was really confused about the sound. I had a hunch that DZAT probably revised the DF-10, and I bought their revised model, which had the highs guillotined. That little hunch soon quickly turned into a more believable fact when I began scrutinizing the front box....

mhULFDy.png

Yeah. There's an 'N' after DF-10.... (・_・)

Who would've knew?? Well at least we all know what 'N' stands for now: NERFED!

So in the end it turns out that I got the DF-10N, not the original DF-10. As to whether or not all other listings on Ali are selling the N variant, I'm not sure, but the store that I bought it from advertised it as DF-10.

So there is either two possibilities: 1) All sellers are selling the N variant under the DF-10 name, or 2) Some listings are the original model, while others are the N variant, so basically it's a hit or miss like the whole deal with Sony MH750.

I feel like it's more of the former as most reviews nowadays say that the highs are smooth, which goes against the "sharp and vivid" description from Igor. Plus I also found this FR graph on one of the Ali listings:

HTB1ehGQSpXXXXcYXpXXq6xXFXXXl.jpg

It's probably fake, but who knows. It even shows the roll-off in the highs.

VERDICT

I'll make this simple. If all you care about is bass and nothing else (aka virtually no one in this thread), then sure go buy these, they are basically urBeats but in wooden form. However, if you value clarity and desire a bright airy treble, then avoid these like a plague! Do not give into their gorgeous wooden look, there are far more better earphones out there that are also wooden. It's such a shame that DZAT completely gutted their highs in their latest revision of the DF-10, I would've much preferred a slightly overdone treble then one without any treble.

So to anyone who was planning to buy the DF-10:

tenor.gif

Thank you for reading my review/rant :)

P.S. I highly do not recommend buying ANYTHING from EsonTeam Store, which is where I bought the nerfed DF-10. They are unreliable dishonest sellers that try to get away with accepting responsibility.

Last edited:
May 5, 2019 at 9:13 PM Post #17,694 of 31,833
My SHOZY V33 review is up on headfi and my NO BS BLOG

Again, i have a crush for talented dynamic driver that deliver warm thick sound with rich timbre, the bass and vocal are really something for 50$. Not a details beast, but sure a musical champion.

May 5, 2019 at 9:16 PM Post #17,695 of 31,833
DZAT DF-10(N??) Review/Rant - Rated N for Nerfed

Introduction

Alright! Today I'm going to shed some light into an old "classic" chi-fi, the wooden DZAT DF-10.

Why the quotations, you may ask? Because despite still being in stock on Aliexpress, it unfortunately isn't the classic DF-10 that some may know of.

I, unfortunately, was one of the recent victims in this bogus DF-10 scam. I bought these bad boys for CAD $20, hoping to hear the "sharp and crisp, very precise and detailed" highs that Igor describes in his review. None of that came true in the pair that I got. But before I start my furious rant/review with these sad little IEMs, let me first start off with the positives: the unboxing and design.

Unboxing

For the sake of being positive, let's just pretend that this was the original DF-10.

mVm6R3s.jpg

First off, we are greeted with a nice cardboard packaging that blends well with the whole wooden theme.

JFVcmFw.jpg

Inside the box, we are further greeted with an abundance of small cardboard compartments which foreshadows the ample amount of goodies we get along with the earphones.

EwTxRMX.jpg

And boy oh boy do we get a lot of accessories!

Ouh1D4l.jpg

I mean, for crying out loud they even gave us a wooden pen and notebook LOL!

Now onto the design.

Build Quality and Design

Cx9njIc.jpg

Honestly, regardless of how bad the sound quality is, you cannot deny that these wooden IEMs are a looker! The main reason why you'd buy this over another IEM is solely because of their wooden housings. In general, the build quality is very good. The fabric cable is thick and durable, and I love the coffee color accents which compliment the red ebony wood. Overall they feel well built.

If you need more convincing, I'll let this GIF do the rest of the talking.

giphy.gif

Sound Quality

Now here is where the tables turn...

After seeing the FR curves for this, I already had my mind fixed on what I was expecting (a bright v-shaped IEM).

So with this expectation in mind, I happily shoved them into my ears and hoped for the best, but little did I know the bitter sense of disappointment that I was about to feel...

tenor.gif

UMMMM.... WHERE ARE THE HIGHS!?!?!?!?!? What??????

6YkZUrk.png

Do you know how disorientating it is when what you so confidently assumed to be true turns out to be false? That is exactly my experience with the DF-10. I felt like a confused Mr. Krabs.

THEY. LITERALLY. HAVE. NO. HIGHS.

This ain't a V-shaped IEM, it's a downright blatant L-shaped IEM. The bass is VERY emphasized. Sub-bass goes insanely deep and rumbles like two sumo wrestlers in a fight. Bassdrums on EDM dominate the track. They can most definitely be considered basshead IEMs. Mids are okay, I feel like they are the only part that DZAT didn't nerf. They aren't special in any way, but at least they sound smooth and natural and not colorated. And what the frick man??? The highs (4Khz-20Khz) are completely rolled off, and I mean COMPLETELY. There is no sense of airiness at all, no clarity in vocals, no definition, nothing. They just sound dark and blanketed, exactly the opposite of what other reviews say. I had to EQ the treble to the max in order for the highs to open up, but even then the highs sound very primitive and not at all defined.

THE TRUTH ABOUT THE DF-10

As I have said multiple times, I was really confused about the sound. I had a hunch that DZAT probably revised the DF-10, and I bought their revised model, which had the highs guillotined. That little hunch soon quickly turned into a more believable fact when I began scrutinizing the front box....

mhULFDy.png

Yeah. There's an 'N' after DF-10.... (・_・)

Who would've knew?? Well at least we all know what 'N' stands for now: NERFED!

So in the end it turns out that I got the DF-10N, not the original DF-10. As to whether or not all other listings on Ali are selling the N variant, I'm not sure, but the store that I bought it from advertised it as DF-10.

So there is either two possibilities: 1) All sellers are selling the N variant under the DF-10 name, or 2) Some listings are the original model, while others are the N variant, so basically it's a hit or miss like the whole deal with Sony MH750.

I feel like it's more of the former as most reviews nowadays say that the highs are smooth, which goes against the "sharp and vivid" description from Igor. Plus I also found this FR graph on one of the Ali listings:

HTB1ehGQSpXXXXcYXpXXq6xXFXXXl.jpg

It's probably fake, but who knows. It even shows the roll-off in the highs.

VERDICT

I'll make this simple. If all you care about is bass and nothing else (aka virtually no one in this thread), then sure go buy these, they are basically urBeats but in wooden form. However, if you value clarity and desire a bright airy treble, then avoid these like a plague! Do not give into their gorgeous wooden look, there are far more better earphones out there that are also wooden. It's such a shame that DZAT completely gutted their highs in their latest revision of the DF-10, I would've much preferred a slightly overdone treble then one without any treble.

So to anyone who was planning to buy the DF-10:

tenor.gif

Thank you for reading my review/rant :)

Refreshing point of view! And a good read (and laugh!).

+1 for IT'S TIME TO STOP (TALKING ABOUT DF-10)

May 6, 2019 at 3:12 AM Post #17,696 of 31,833
Which of the sub-$100 Chi-Fi IEMs have standout vocal performance for you guys? I'm looking for something with forward (which seems rare considering most ChIEMs seem to be V-shaped) female vocals that are clear and detailed. It's also difficult as the former requirements seem to resolve in something overly bright or sibilant for me.

May 6, 2019 at 7:37 AM Post #17,698 of 31,833
Which of the sub-$100 Chi-Fi IEMs have standout vocal performance for you guys? I'm looking for something with forward (which seems rare considering most ChIEMs seem to be V-shaped) female vocals that are clear and detailed. It's also difficult as the former requirements seem to resolve in something overly bright or sibilant for me.
Tin t2 has good vocals

May 6, 2019 at 8:19 AM Post #17,699 of 31,833
My SHOZY V33 review is up on headfi and my NO BS BLOG

Again, i have a crush for talented dynamic driver that deliver warm thick sound with rich timbre, the bass and vocal are really something for 50$. Not a details beast, but sure a musical champion.
Honestly your review sounded exactly like the Shozy Zero. I loved the Shozy Zero. Very warm and musical with an analog feel. Would have kept them but driver flex was an issue and for some reason when I would turn my head they would cover up the nozzle opposite of the way I was moving and cut off sound from that side. Very weird.

BQEYZ KC2 has very good vocals both male and female, but female vocals are very forward.

May 6, 2019 at 8:29 AM Post #17,700 of 31,833
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back