CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Jan 15, 2019 at 2:48 PM Post #15,406 of 31,833
Can someone recommend me a good all-round in-ears that has high sensitivity (more than 110db) that is under 20-30$?

I'm currently using Vsonic GR02 bass edition on my mobile (galaxy J4+), but i still need more volume (i am hearing imparied). I listen to various music so i would like some all-rounders.

Thank you.

Jan 15, 2019 at 4:22 PM Post #15,407 of 31,833
Can someone recommend me a good all-round in-ears that has high sensitivity (more than 110db) that is under 20-30$?

I'm currently using Vsonic GR02 bass edition on my mobile (galaxy J4+), but i still need more volume (i am hearing imparied). I listen to various music so i would like some all-rounders.

Thank you.

Ever thought of a headphone amp? You’ll be able to use your existing IEMs, and crank the volume until your ears bleed.

Jan 15, 2019 at 4:30 PM Post #15,408 of 31,833
... and crank the volume until your ears bleed.
LOL! ;D Though, I feel sorry for ppl having problems with hearing :frowning2:

Jan 15, 2019 at 8:11 PM Post #15,409 of 31,833

Thank you.

Short answer is no. Most ultra-sensitive iems are 104-105dB/mW at most and this breeds problems as they tend to be very susceptible to hiss. Also keep in mind that 110dB is enough to cause damage to your hearing if used for more than 15-20 minutes at a time. Most of us would rather listen at a lower level and enjoy our music for longer durations. I know that the sensitivity doesn't dictate that you listen at 110dB or higher but it does mean that the usable volume control below 110dB is going to be the range from 0-1mW which means you have almost no ability to adjust without being into the danger zone.

With as litigeous as our society is now, few will assume the risk of making a headphone that they know is capable of causing hearing damage in normal use.

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2019 at 10:28 PM Post #15,410 of 31,833
Penon Audio has them. https://penonaudio.com/lz-a5-filters.html but I'd be tempted to try the Vented filter for the DMG first as it will save you about $35 and may be exactly what you are looking for. I posted a graph of what it does for the signature the other day too.

What does the DMG filter do exactly? Lowers bass how much? Boost mids how much? I already bought one for $4.28. A bit bored and wondering what it would do to the CNT1.

semakarchblack.jpg

Jan 16, 2019 at 12:43 AM Post #15,411 of 31,833
Aight, after spending some time with the CCA C10, i must say they are really good. First, the soundstage is relatively wide, the depth is good, has an airy signature and all this adds up to a open hall like musical experience.

PS: I use IEM solely on commute, only EP10 and modded Hifi Walker A1 at home, earbuds just in office or home sometimes. I am coming from the AS10 which will be compared in awhile

The fit is a challenge, and i initially used some wide bore, then M starlines and in the end Spinfits. I do get a good seal on all of them but due to the shell design (2 vents, one near the dynamic driver and another one less than 1 cm away to reduce driver flex), they dont really isolate well enough though they have better than average isolation.

So the bass is very present, and this was something that stands out against the AS10. Returning back to the AS10 after running the C10 for awhile, it sounded anemic. The mids are similar but with the C10 the sounded livelier, more engaging due to the open airy hall like signature. The AS10 has a more intimate, enclosed session with the artiste. The highs are must better on the AS10 with more sparkle though the C10 does well, i feel they dont extend as well as the AS10.

The material on the C10 is of a higher quality compared to the AS10, and the metal faceplate is an added fashion point. All in all i think the C10 is really good for the price.

Verdict: I think the signature will appeal to most and at $30 they should sound good to almost anyone as they are really engaging. Will i recommend u to buy it? Sure but if i can try it before buying, i wont get it as i prefer the AS10 over it any day due to my preference (lean bass, clear trebles, good isolation). So after i receive the IM1 (edit: and ****) i'm probably taking a break, decide if i wanna get surprised over and over by all these chi-fi IEMs or just stick with what i have, save and get a CIEM.

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2019 at 4:42 AM Post #15,413 of 31,833
Venturing into the audiophile field.

Purchased a Shanling M1.

Looking for a iem to pair it with.

$100 is my budget.

My genre of music: Jazz 80% of the time, Rock, Hip-Hop, Blues makes up the rest.

I have no idea what "signature" I like.

I am a user of iphone with iphone headphones.

Just looking for a little more than what I have now.

iBasso iT01 has stuck out like a sore thumb.

Would like to buy several "chi-fi" iems to get acquainted.

Thank you for the help!!

Jan 16, 2019 at 5:56 AM Post #15,414 of 31,833
Ah right! It's always all about QC. I've resoldered one of my IEM because the wire got disconnected. And my latest buy is also starting to intermittently mute on one side.

Yea unfortunately sometimes (not always) they use the cheapest soldering/ glue jobs on thier transducers. I've ordered some chi-fi drivers from China, and the inconsistencies and QC is mindboggling. Sometimes they "sound good" , but if you dig deep with reference dynamics, the flaws are apparent.

With chi-fi IEM , best shot is with all BA, not a fan of hybrid. Or just one dynamic, but then the dynamics have inconsistencies.

But all we need in this game is one gamble to pay off. The holy grail of chi-fi still waiting.

Jan 16, 2019 at 6:10 AM Post #15,415 of 31,833
Venturing into the audiophile field.

Purchased a Shanling M1.

Looking for a iem to pair it with.

$100 is my budget.

My genre of music: Jazz 80% of the time, Rock, Hip-Hop, Blues makes up the rest.

I have no idea what "signature" I like.

I am a user of iphone with iphone headphones.

Just looking for a little more than what I have now.

iBasso iT01 has stuck out like a sore thumb.

Would like to buy several "chi-fi" iems to get acquainted.

Thank you for the help!!

When you say $100 is your budget, but you would also like to buy several "chi-fi" iems to get acquainted, does that mean several IEMs at $100 each or several IEMs and your total budget is $100?

Jan 16, 2019 at 6:30 AM Post #15,417 of 31,833
$100 is what I have to spend, all together.

I was looking at KZ AS10, ZST & ZSN. Etc...

I could bump it up to $150.

Got it. Because IT01, as good as it is, would blow the whole $100 budget.

There’s lots to choose from at $15-$50. But before we get into that, let us know some additional information.

Do you know what wearing style you like?

Some people don’t like behind the ear type of IEMs, and would rather have ones they can wear down. Some can be worn either way, so they’re more versatile. Some of the behind the ear styles may not fit better or worse because of your individual ear anatomy.

Behind the ear (or “up”):
C03A48FB-F14C-464D-BB3C-8E562D33FB4C.jpeg

Down:
CDE16292-AFFB-414C-BD20-388E632E7A08.jpeg

Double facepalms:
A4ADECD5-3065-439E-98A7-FBC4CFFBB3F2.jpeg
89A39307-FA85-4F54-BF5B-27127F56F63C.jpeg

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2019 at 6:38 AM Post #15,418 of 31,833

There’s lots to choose from at $15-$50. But before we get into that, let us know some additional information.

Some people don’t like behind the ear type of IEMs, and would rather have ones they can wear down. Some can be worn either way, so they’re more versatile. Some of the behind the ear styles may not fit better or worse because of your individual ear anatomy.

Down:

Double facepalms:

keep in mind nozzle length preferences to for over the ear. If it is too long or short that is major PITA.
KZ ATE fit me fine but KZ ZS10 was short nozzle. Same company. Just an example.
Very important :wink:

Jan 16, 2019 at 7:03 AM Post #15,419 of 31,833

Down:

Double facepalms:

I am pretty easy going on how they are worn. I am more worried about how short the cord would be. Than anything else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back