CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
May 6, 2018 at 12:58 PM Post #10,291 of 31,833
Luckily I listen at lower volume than many people. I do hate sharp treble. So you have the MDR-XB50AP? Do you enjoy it? I find it to be very musical.
I've not had that issue at all.

On low volume, mid bass colours the mid and turns them weighty.

Decay is out of control on bass, mid bass, mids but upper mids and treble are nearly decay less.

For some ears, this creates a sharp piercing effect and psychological issues.

But on low volume, bass doesn't decay that much and integrates well with whole spectrum making it lovely and musical.

Some people have high impedance ear making them immune to treble effects(not dB) but effect due to spectrum.

Well, I have xb50 and I have to say xb30ex was better in signature whereas xb50 is technically better(quicker treble and upper mids)

May 6, 2018 at 1:34 PM Post #10,292 of 31,833
My review of the Tin Audio T1. These guys are crushing it!
https://primeaudio.org/tin-audio-t1-review/

DSC_00601.jpg Tin Audio T1.jpg

May 6, 2018 at 2:09 PM Post #10,293 of 31,833
Thank you very much for the tip. It is a great song not only for testing but also for listening. Very enjoyable.

I first used the single BA driver Brainwavz B100 ($50) followed by the **** UES ($25). The B100 sounded a bit cooler overall, particularly in the bass department. Here, the UES's additional dynamic driver added some temperature. I then used the much more expensive UE900S ($399; on sale $179)) which really excel in resolution with their 4 BA drivers. But the "wow effect" came when I plugged the UES in again. Hayley's voice was almost on par with the UE900S - with some sibilance in the UES. Hayley sounded very natural with both iems. The biggest difference was again in the bass, which was much more controlled in the UE900S - you expect this for the money. But wow did the UES fare well in comparison. I speculate that's why the names of the two earphones are so similar, each containing UE...S.

All three iems have a coherent sound; it is no surprise for the B100 with its single driver or the expensive UE900S simply for their price, but I am impressed how well **** tuned their rather unspectacular looking UES. For people who are drooling over the forthcoming KZ models, have a look here. You may do better without the hype. First indication: the new two-driver KZ ED15 bass cannon is no competition for the UES IMO.

I have to add that I had to overcome some sealing problems with the UES. The included tips are too small for my ears, I used my standard third-party ones with a relatively narrow bore. They always add a tinge of boom to the bass for the benefit of getting an overall fuller image. And I have to push them right down to my tonsils.

i a/b'd the ues and ue900s as well--they're similar but not identical, with the ue900s being the more neutral/accurate and the ues being slightly more colored and adrenalized. the mids on the ue900s also sound a bit more forward to me, and instrument placement and layering being clearly more precise on the ue900s. as to which sounds better, however, it gets scary close at times--we're talking about a $24 piece ($17 w/ holiday/corruption discount) vs. the $399 one--i can genuinely see someone liking the marginally livelier presentation on the cheapo more. in contrast to otto, i found the fit and comfort on the ues to be vg, and i much prefer its cable to the frustratingly stiff memory cables on the ue900s. in any event it's pieces like this (and the swing ie800) that ought to enrage and terrify mainstream western manufacturers.

Last edited:
May 6, 2018 at 2:29 PM Post #10,294 of 31,833
How many IEMs are too many? Organizing mine...I have labels on all the little cases. When zipped up these four soft bags fit inside the foot stool. I need to lable each bag and make a list of what is in which bag.

When my daughter visits from the States this week she will be using that footstool. Little will she know about what lies within... LOL.

Now, where do I keep the two bags that are full of buds? Right now they are under a chair. Oh well, I guess that is what furniture is for!
See that you got Jayfi JEB-101. What's your impression of it? I have one coming too. I don't plan on having suitcases of IEMs though LOL.

May 6, 2018 at 2:35 PM Post #10,295 of 31,833
See that you got Jayfi JEB-101. What's your impression of it? I have one coming too. I don't plan on having suitcases of IEMs though LOL.

I would have to listen again... can't remember... I got them early on and was just getting used to them. When you get yours let me know what YOU think:) I will not have much time to myself over the next couple of weeks.

BTW those are NOT suitcases.... they are only toiletry bags! Probably should have just brought a suitcase down from the attic...lol.

May 6, 2018 at 3:29 PM Post #10,296 of 31,833
On low volume, mid bass colours the mid and turns them weighty.

Decay is out of control on bass, mid bass, mids but upper mids and treble are nearly decay less.

For some ears, this creates a sharp piercing effect and psychological issues.

But on low volume, bass doesn't decay that much and integrates well with whole spectrum making it lovely and musical.

Some people have high impedance ear making them immune to treble effects(not dB) but effect due to spectrum.

Well, I have xb50 and I have to say xb30ex was better in signature whereas xb50 is technically better(quicker treble and upper mids)

That would seems to be at odds with each other.

May 6, 2018 at 3:52 PM Post #10,298 of 31,833
Whatever it is doing technically (or not) I am happy with the sound. Thanks for the recommendation :)

You are still ahead in recommendations,

May 6, 2018 at 4:36 PM Post #10,299 of 31,833
After Slater's review of the QKZ VK1, I canceled my order and got a UiiSii CM5 instead (the $12 black ones on Amazon which I understand are the large ones). It arrived this morning and my impressions are similar to what's been described before: it does everything pretty well, there is nothing offensive about its sound (e.g. no overpowering bass, no sharp highs, nothing that requires EQ out of the box); an overall solid IEM. It has a graphene driver so I expect that with further listening the sound should evolve a bit. Even though they are very comfortable, I had fit issues as others have mentioned. For some reason I couldn't achieve a perfect seal with the right earpiece using the included tips leading to inadequate bass. I ended up putting on KZ Whirlwind tips which seem to be working well. I'm also a fan of the cable even though it's not replaceable and has a mic*. It's light and transmits very little microphonics. Because of those features, the CM5 + bluetooth receiver will become my go-to work out IEMs. Very solid pick for $12.

Now, even though I have plenty to enjoy, I'm still intrigued by the TRN V20. Does it do anything better than others at its price point? I'm pretty sure it would be redundant given what's already in my collection but I am curious nevertheless. I think I'm going to take a break from ordering more IEMs. Until the next hype train, of course :).

*As an aside, I'm not sure why some people are anti-mic here; does it really have a negative effect on sound quality? I still find it useful.

Edit: I should also mention that the CM5 packaging is wonderful. The instruction manual was actually helpful for a change and the case was a nice added bonus. These are great gifts!

Last edited:
May 6, 2018 at 4:48 PM Post #10,300 of 31,833
Now, even though I have plenty to enjoy, I'm still intrigued by the TRN V20. Does it do anything better than others at its price point? I'm pretty sure it would be redundant given what's already in my collection but I am curious nevertheless.

We are two.

May 6, 2018 at 4:57 PM Post #10,301 of 31,833
After Slater's review of the QKZ VK1, I canceled my order and got a UiiSii CM5 instead (the $12 black ones on Amazon which I understand are the large ones). It arrived this morning and my impressions are similar to what's been described before: it does everything pretty well, there is nothing offensive about its sound (e.g. no overpowering bass, no sharp highs, nothing that requires EQ out of the box); an overall solid IEM. It has a graphene driver so I expect that with further listening the sound should evolve a bit. Even though they are very comfortable, I had fit issues as others have mentioned. For some reason I couldn't achieve a perfect seal with the right earpiece using the included tips leading to inadequate bass. I ended up putting on KZ Whirlwind tips which seem to be working well. I'm also a fan of the cable even though it's not replaceable and has a mic*. It's light and transmits very little microphonics. Because of those features, the CM5 + bluetooth receiver will become my go-to work out IEMs. Very solid pick for $12.

Now, even though I have plenty to enjoy, I'm still intrigued by the TRN V20. Does it do anything better than others at its price point? I'm pretty sure it would be redundant given what's already in my collection but I am curious nevertheless. I think I'm going to take a break from ordering more IEMs. Until the next hype train, of course :).

*As an aside, I'm not sure why some people are anti-mic here; does it really have a negative effect on sound quality? I still find it useful.
I ended up going with the large KZ Starline tips. These are the standard tips included with KZ products for the last year or so. Their large tip isn't much larger than their medium size, its much more a ML than truly large. I find that the narrower bore brings the mids and highs into line with the upper and mid bass better than wide bore but everyone hears differently.

I find I like the sub bass and bass of the TRN V20 over the UiiSii CM5. Better fit. Replaceable cable. Its only $20 so why not?

May 6, 2018 at 5:01 PM Post #10,302 of 31,833
Its only $20 so why not?

It's actually less than that on AliExpress right now (at least to the US), which is why it's even more tempting. Why couldn't you say it's worse than the CM5? :wink:

May 6, 2018 at 5:17 PM Post #10,304 of 31,833
Its awful, terrible. You're a horrid human being for even considering them! :scream:
How's that? :kissing_smiling_eyes:
Is it weird that I want it more now? But seriously, thanks for the input!

May 6, 2018 at 5:31 PM Post #10,305 of 31,833
They are slowly increasing price of trn v20.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back