CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
May 6, 2018 at 5:34 PM Post #10,306 of 31,833
After Slater's review of the QKZ VK1, I canceled my order and got a UiiSii CM5 instead (the $12 black ones on Amazon which I understand are the large ones). It arrived this morning and my impressions are similar to what's been described before: it does everything pretty well, there is nothing offensive about its sound (e.g. no overpowering bass, no sharp highs, nothing that requires EQ out of the box); an overall solid IEM. It has a graphene driver so I expect that with further listening the sound should evolve a bit. Even though they are very comfortable, I had fit issues as others have mentioned. For some reason I couldn't achieve a perfect seal with the right earpiece using the included tips leading to inadequate bass. I ended up putting on KZ Whirlwind tips which seem to be working well. I'm also a fan of the cable even though it's not replaceable and has a mic*. It's light and transmits very little microphonics. Because of those features, the CM5 + bluetooth receiver will become my go-to work out IEMs. Very solid pick for $12.

Now, even though I have plenty to enjoy, I'm still intrigued by the TRN V20. Does it do anything better than others at its price point? I'm pretty sure it would be redundant given what's already in my collection but I am curious nevertheless. I think I'm going to take a break from ordering more IEMs. Until the next hype train, of course :).

*As an aside, I'm not sure why some people are anti-mic here; does it really have a negative effect on sound quality? I still find it useful.

Edit: I should also mention that the CM5 packaging is wonderful. The instruction manual was actually helpful for a change and the case was a nice added bonus. These are great gifts!

I think you made the right choice.

While the VK1 is good, the CM5 is better (and cheaper). I think it looks stupid (like a bunch of bananas in your ear as someone said), but how it sounds is the most important thing :)

Smart move on the Starlines as well. They are the key to unlocking the CM5's potential!

Last edited:
May 6, 2018 at 5:56 PM Post #10,308 of 31,833
Row three because it has the ZS10 and the ZSR

and row six because it has the TRN V20 and the Uiisii CM 5

Which row is YOUR favorite?
Row six please! The Tin Audio T2 as the most detailed of them all and two great cheap allrounders: TRN V20 and UiiSii CM5.

After Slater's review of the QKZ VK1, I canceled my order and got a UiiSii CM5 instead (the $12 black ones on Amazon which I understand are the large ones). It arrived this morning and my impressions are similar to what's been described before: it does everything pretty well, there is nothing offensive about its sound (e.g. no overpowering bass, no sharp highs, nothing that requires EQ out of the box); an overall solid IEM. It has a graphene driver so I expect that with further listening the sound should evolve a bit. Even though they are very comfortable, I had fit issues as others have mentioned. For some reason I couldn't achieve a perfect seal with the right earpiece using the included tips leading to inadequate bass. I ended up putting on KZ Whirlwind tips which seem to be working well. I'm also a fan of the cable even though it's not replaceable and has a mic*. It's light and transmits very little microphonics. Because of those features, the CM5 + bluetooth receiver will become my go-to work out IEMs. Very solid pick for $12.

Now, even though I have plenty to enjoy, I'm still intrigued by the TRN V20. Does it do anything better than others at its price point? I'm pretty sure it would be redundant given what's already in my collection but I am curious nevertheless. I think I'm going to take a break from ordering more IEMs. Until the next hype train, of course :).

*As an aside, I'm not sure why some people are anti-mic here; does it really have a negative effect on sound quality? I still find it useful.

Edit: I should also mention that the CM5 packaging is wonderful. The instruction manual was actually helpful for a change and the case was a nice added bonus. These are great gifts!
It doesn’t seem to be anyone’s favorite, but the TRN V20 truly is a great cheap allrounder. Thick bass, natural sounding mids and plenty of detail - especially above average instrument placement.

May 6, 2018 at 6:38 PM Post #10,310 of 31,833

I prefer to have no mic if there is a choice of cables because I never use a mic anyway. I use daps with my iems not a phone. As far as sound quality, some people feel that it is just a point where something could break. Not that it necessarily will break.

Oh god v-shaped? Not for me... mh1 is no way v-shaped...

I would not call them V shaped...whatever that even means. I get this image that v shaped means that vocals will be horrible. This is certainly not the case with the xb50... to my ears anyway. I find the music satisfying and the tonality really nice.

@groucho69 maybe you can comment further? I am too distracted tonight to find the words.

May 6, 2018 at 6:51 PM Post #10,311 of 31,833
I don't find it V shaped either. Mids and vocals are fine. I've tried it with a variety of music and 3 sources and it performs admirably (no house or metal). Love it with The Black Keys, Al Di Meola, Leonard Cohen, Rammstein, Muddy Waters, Eagles, Cat Stevens, and so many more. Good all round performer.

May 6, 2018 at 6:53 PM Post #10,312 of 31,833
I ordered pair of V20 without mic which should be on my hands the next week, and they are without mic, just because I'm a cheapskate and didn't wanna spend an extra 1$ on the mic, now kinda regretting it because sometimes mic does come in handy. (Also secretly wish that they do worsen the sound and I made the right choice going without it, to justify my lapse in judgment with this one)

May 6, 2018 at 6:56 PM Post #10,313 of 31,833
May 6, 2018 at 7:09 PM Post #10,315 of 31,833
Damn you are right, and now I have a one more regret regarding my cheap behaviour...

Except some brands put it on the right and others on the left... lol. You have to have a good memory.

May 6, 2018 at 11:38 PM Post #10,316 of 31,833
i a/b'd the ues and ue900s as well--they're similar but not identical, with the ue900s being the more neutral/accurate and the ues being slightly more colored and adrenalized. the mids on the ue900s also sound a bit more forward to me, and instrument placement and layering being clearly more precise on the ue900s. as to which sounds better, however, it gets scary close at times--we're talking about a $24 piece ($17 w/ holiday/corruption discount) vs. the $399 one--i can genuinely see someone liking the marginally livelier presentation on the cheapo more. in contrast to otto, i found the fit and comfort on the ues to be vg, and i much prefer its cable to the frustratingly stiff memory cables on the ue900s. in any event it's pieces like this (and the swing ie800) that ought to enrage and terrify mainstream western manufacturers.
What makes the **** so strong is that everything works well together: homogeneity, coherence...wonder how much is gained in the much more expensive **** EN900...

Blow your brains out with the **** UES and this:

May 7, 2018 at 12:01 AM Post #10,318 of 31,833
Row six please! The Tin Audio T2 as the most detailed of them all and two great cheap allrounders: TRN V20 and UiiSii CM5.

It doesn’t seem to be anyone’s favorite, but the TRN V20 truly is a great cheap allrounder. Thick bass, natural sounding mids and plenty of detail - especially above average instrument placement.

What type of tips you guys use for your T2?
Do you wear over the ear or ?

May 7, 2018 at 12:07 AM Post #10,319 of 31,833
i a/b'd the ues and ue900s as well--they're similar but not identical, with the ue900s being the more neutral/accurate and the ues being slightly more colored and adrenalized. the mids on the ue900s also sound a bit more forward to me, and instrument placement and layering being clearly more precise on the ue900s. as to which sounds better, however, it gets scary close at times--we're talking about a $24 piece ($17 w/ holiday/corruption discount) vs. the $399 one--i can genuinely see someone liking the marginally livelier presentation on the cheapo more. in contrast to otto, i found the fit and comfort on the ues to be vg, and i much prefer its cable to the frustratingly stiff memory cables on the ue900s. in any event it's pieces like this (and the swing ie800) that ought to enrage and terrify mainstream western manufacturers.
I've been on the look out for some cheap mid centric/forward chi-fi. the UES are starting to really pique my interest...

May 7, 2018 at 1:06 AM Post #10,320 of 31,833
Can someone test this song for me on the ZS10 or Tin Audio T2? It sounds really sibilant to me. Not sure if it's my gear or the song itself or just my ears.

I'd say it's mostly the song itself. It's even kinda bright on my HD3 Wireless speakers and Meze 99 Classics. I don't find it sibilant but the vocals are definitely a bit edgy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back