CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Apr 25, 2018 at 1:37 PM Post #9,706 of 31,833
@Otto Motor shared this wonderful soundstage test in this post in the KZ impressions thread. I threw my favourite IEMs at it; these are the soundstage test results:

SOUNDSTAGE TEST RESULTS

10104114.jpg

Testfile: Kunstkopfumgang im IRT, Dr. Theile, Sabine Mike - Head-Fi.org (dummyhead recording in a closed, compact room)
Shared by: Otto Motor on April 25, 2018
Source: MacBook Pro 2015 + AudioQuest DragonFly Red

TRN V20 - €12 ***
Convincing placement, sound a bit heavy, left front corner weak link

Yersen FEN2000 - €20 ****
Great placement, extremely natural and detailed sound

KZ ZSR - €20 *****
Outstandig placement, movement around you, boosted yet realistic bass tones

KZ ZS10 - €30 *****
Outstanding placement, movement around you, very natural sound

ZhiYin Z5000 - €40 *****
Outstandig placement, movement around you, dark yet natural sound

The TRN V20 is already impressive - but the other four are just incredible! :D

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2018 at 2:43 PM Post #9,707 of 31,833
Just ordered the Rose North FOrest from penaudio's aliexpress store for 20eu. Delivery is said to take 16-30 days...Penaudio's official site doesn't take visa unfortunately.

It's for my gf who lost a pair hehehe but I'll get a chance to listen to them without being scolded :)

Apr 25, 2018 at 2:53 PM Post #9,708 of 31,833
Just ordered the Rose North FOrest from penaudio's aliexpress store for 20eu. Delivery is said to take 16-30 days...Penaudio's official site doesn't take visa unfortunately.

It's for my gf who lost a pair hehehe but I'll get a chance to listen to them without being scolded :)
Your girlfriend will never get them if you listen first :)

Apr 25, 2018 at 2:58 PM Post #9,709 of 31,833
@Otto Motor shared this wonderful soundstage test in this post in the KZ impressions thread. I threw my favourite IEMs at it; these are the soundstage test results:

SOUNDSTAGE TEST RESULTS

10104114.jpg

Testfile: Kunstkopfumgang im IRT, Dr. Theile, Sabine Mike - Head-Fi.org (dummyhead recording in a closed, compact room)
Shared by: Otto Motor on April 25, 2018
Source: MacBook Pro 2015 + AudioQuest DragonFly Red

TRN V20 - €12 ***
Convincing placement, sound a bit heavy, left front corner weak link

Yersen FEN2000 - €20 ****
Great placement, extremely natural and detailed sound

KZ ZSR - €20 *****
Outstandig placement, movement around you, boosted yet realistic bass tones

KZ ZS10 - €30 *****
Outstanding placement, movement around you, very natural sound

ZhiYin Z5000 - €40 *****
Outstandig placement, movement around you, dark yet natural sound

The TRN V20 is already impressive - but the other four are just incredible! :D
Please help me a bit here... I have the ZSR which i don't like that much as i feel the bass a lot and vocals are somehow laid back... Bought the Rose Forest North but haven't got them yet as i read that the mids are forward and liked their frequency response graph ... Also on the wait for the **** UEs... So should I get the Z5000 as well or will they be too dark given that the ZSR are not my cup of tea...

Apr 25, 2018 at 2:59 PM Post #9,710 of 31,833
Your girlfriend will never get them if you listen first :)

:p I will have much time with it as she loves her Takstar pro82 headset (something she can't missplace!). I do however regret handing away the Yensen fen 2000 as a gift so quickly as I only had an hour with it ='( Was very difficult to part ways with a new toy.

Apr 25, 2018 at 4:27 PM Post #9,711 of 31,833
Please help me a bit here... I have the ZSR which i don't like that much as i feel the bass a lot and vocals are somehow laid back... Bought the Rose Forest North but haven't got them yet as i read that the mids are forward and liked their frequency response graph ... Also on the wait for the **** UEs... So should I get the Z5000 as well or will they be too dark given that the ZSR are not my cup of tea...
You should definitely not get the Z5000 then. It can't get any darker. :p

Apr 25, 2018 at 5:00 PM Post #9,712 of 31,833
The ZSR is probably the least recessed iem of the KZ multi-driver line. Have a look at the Fidue A65 - search for reviews here on head fi. And if you really want to get the mids right, check out the iBasso IT01. Also, check the Etymotic HF2 on massdrop.com ...a killer deal. The **** UE should probably do. Loomis reported them to be close to the UE900S, which have excellent mids.

Apr 25, 2018 at 5:18 PM Post #9,713 of 31,833
Ok my take on the KZ KZR... Really wide soundstage which probably is their strongest point... Warm and dark sound .. Bass is deep but not fast , vocals clear and natural, a bit laid back. Highs not emphasised at all but are there. Good fit and nice isolation. For long sessions? Not really, mostly because of the bass . Value for money is excellent. Easy to drive as well . Great for movies, very cinematic sound but at low volume otherwise can be fatiguing.

Apr 25, 2018 at 5:25 PM Post #9,714 of 31,833
The ZSR is probably the least recessed iem of the KZ multi-driver line. Have a look at the Fidue A65 - search for reviews here on head fi. And if you really want to get the mids right, check out the iBasso IT01. Also, check the Etymotic HF2 on massdrop.com ...a killer deal. The **** UE should probably do. Loomis reported them to be close to the UE900S, which have excellent mids.
My next buy will be the iBasso IT01 i don't like the copper style of the A65 and many have complained about the built quality and support of the Fidue. Ordered the **** UEs not the UE hope i didn't messed up that, mostly because of Loomis whom i follow and respect a lot. Will share impressions in due time .. Thanks

Apr 25, 2018 at 9:47 PM Post #9,715 of 31,833
Got the Rose North Forest in yesterday!

Some quick impressions after a few hours of listening and burn in. Pictured with tennmark whirlwinds (stock double flange tips were terrible for me).

Great find! For the price it’s really quite good, I don’t have many iem in $25 range but it’s certainly better than the Nicehck bro and everything I own under that price range. No sibilance and impressive amount of bass and sub-bass, wasn’t expecting that.. More tuned for fun so won’t work for every genre. Sound signature for me is a slightly warm, dark, L-shape with some treble roll off. Mids and highs are smooth but not too sparkly.

Tinaudio T2 is technically better in most aspects (clarity, soundstage, extended highs, vocals) except bass quantity. T2 bass is, however, not as loose and boomy as the north forest, which is why I’m looking forward to T2 Pro with its adjusted (hopefully linear) bass. Rose will have your head bobbing more though and a great overall value gem for the year so far. It doesn’t come with a case or a bunch of tips but not a big deal. Only real complaint for me is the cable which is microphonic, it needs a shirt clip (not included) to minimize that. Mmcx would be nice but I do like how light these earphones are without the extra hardware, just a braided cable or less microphonic one would be a big improvement.

I’d be curious to know from others how this compares with yersen fen-2000, zs10, and bgvp ds1 since I almost pulled the trigger on those during the last alie sale. :)

I have the Yersen FEN-2000 and my Rose North Forest is on the way! Thanks to all those who provided their thoughts. I would be happy to provide a comparison, however the right earpiece of my Yersens just failed :triportsad:. I requested a replacement from the AliExpress seller but I'm not holding my breath. It seems like there have been multiple people on this thread alone with the same problem. Until the QC issues are fixed, it's difficult for me to endorse the Yersen FEN-2000 (mine only lasted about a month with very careful use). A shame, since the sound quality and everything that comes in the package makes the price well worth it. I guess they had to cut corners somewhere and unfortunately it came at the expense of durability.

Apr 25, 2018 at 11:11 PM Post #9,716 of 31,833
in this moment special offer for Tin Audio T2 ........... 36$ on aliexpress

Apr 26, 2018 at 12:03 AM Post #9,717 of 31,833
Hi
I have a bunch of chinese IEMs (Urbanfun hifi, KZ ZSR, ZST, ZSE, EDR, HDS, Z5000) and headphones (Sony MDR900, Takstar Pro80)
and would like to obtain a portable amp
i like Topping NX1s or NX3, but I read that the Output Impedance is 3.5 ohm which I think is a bit high for my IEMs

my questions :
- how much portable amp affect my IEMs ?
- how likely the mismatch happen with 3.5 ohm output ?
- Balance Armatures have greatly varied actual impedance (http://nwavguy.blogspot.co.id/2011/02/headphone-impedance-explained.html?m=1)
How much is the amp affect BA performances?

Apr 26, 2018 at 12:17 AM Post #9,718 of 31,833
Hi
I have a bunch of chinese IEMs (Urbanfun hifi, KZ ZSR, ZST, ZSE, EDR, HDS, Z5000) and headphones (Sony MDR900, Takstar Pro80)
and would like to obtain a portable amp
i like Topping NX1s or NX3, but I read that the Output Impedance is 3.5 ohm which I think is a bit high for my IEMs

my questions :
- how much portable amp affect my IEMs ?
- how likely the mismatch happen with 3.5 ohm output ?
- Balance Armatures have greatly varied actual impedance (http://nwavguy.blogspot.co.id/2011/02/headphone-impedance-explained.html?m=1)
How much is the amp affect BA performances?
3.5 ohm is relatively high but does not affect your single-driver earphones. But it may affect your multis/hybrids. Whether and how is indicated by the earphone's measured impedance profile.

My recent note on output impedance:
https://goo.gl/aDvqgr

I have the FiiO E12 Montblanc amp (discontinued; cheap and well reviewed at the time; output impedance unknown) and the audioquest dragonfly black (0.3 ohm output impedance). Both work fine for me.

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2018 at 12:17 AM Post #9,719 of 31,833
Rose north forest share XB90ex darkness and boosted control bass, but is not that dark, it is just forgiving.

Sony mdr ex1000 style upper mids and roll off like mdr 7550.

but it cannot match the precsion of both.

just better than xb90ex, if signature only matters to you guys.......soundstage goes to xb90ex

Apr 26, 2018 at 12:31 AM Post #9,720 of 31,833
so after trying about a dozen tips I finally found something that brings out the bass which are some extra large silicon tips I got with the DZAT DF10s.
The TIN Audio T2 now sound allot better with the low end present
Instead of making a custom molded radian silicon ear tip, you know with the drill and exacto knife thing, I'm using those over the ear soft silicon hooks to provide me peace of mind regarding fall outs

I've been mostly listening on my LG V30
Today it was the DZAT DF10s, Yersen FEN- 2000, TIN Audio T2 and TY HI-Z HE 150PRO

And although not IEMs these HE 150PROs are really impressive, I might be wrong but they seem like they cover the full spectrum from string bass to high hats and the vocals are really clear and breathly(?) as well.

Does anyone have a sound chart on these four?
It would insightful as to what their profiles looks like so I can understand what I am hearing and why I'm liking certain ones.

Of the 4 the FEN-2000s feel like they could use more power to shine eventhough the HE 150Pros are 150ohm

these little wooden DF10s remind me of the bass boom in some of my KZs just a little smoother in overall presentation

I did get sucked in by the hype and ordered a set of the ZS10s.
Never had a earphone with as many drivers.
Be interesting to compared them to the single BA Campfire Comets which cost like 4- 5 times as much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back