Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Apr 25, 2018 at 10:37 AM Post #31,427 of 63,917
ZS10 arrived today, and given a couple of hours,comparing to ZS6.First impressions, the 10 has brighter treble, instrument separation,not quite as good, but better timbre, bass, sub bass around the same. Just very first thoughts, and old ears.
Where in NE Scotland? Thurso?

Apr 25, 2018 at 10:38 AM Post #31,428 of 63,917
Just received my ED15's, KZ certainly delivered here on first listen

Apr 25, 2018 at 10:50 AM Post #31,429 of 63,917
MUSIC SAMPLE FOR MAPPING THE SOUNDSTAGE

Here an incredible track to map the soundstage with your earphones: a binaural or "dummy head" recording ("Kunstkopfstereophonie", a short-lieved German invention). Microphones were placed into the ears of a dummy head to come as close to human perception as possible. This produces an unbelievable surround sound.

The ZS10 excels on this one (its hundreds of drivers do an excellent job) - an unreal sonic experience. This silly track is also highly addictive.

Download link valid for one week: https://goo.gl/fHrnyL

Die Raumklang - CD.jpg

Apr 25, 2018 at 10:54 AM Post #31,430 of 63,917
Just received my ED15's, KZ certainly delivered here on first listen
Huuuuuge however reasonably firm bass to my ears. Compare vocals to the early ED series models. It is also interesting to compare the overall image to the ZS10's: the one of the ZS10 is biiiiiiiiig in comparison for my perception - that's what you expect from the additional drivers and the huge resonance bodies/housings.

To me, the ED15 plays in the league of the Urbanfun Hifi. A good one!

Have fun!

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2018 at 12:04 PM Post #31,433 of 63,917
i have received my first KZ ZS10 and my APTX-HD (CSR8675 chip) bluetooth module . will share my thoughts about it later

do you have a link to the bluetooth module that you bought? I'm curious which one you purchased

Apr 25, 2018 at 12:08 PM Post #31,434 of 63,917
The Ergonomics of the ZS10 could have been better. Doesn't stay in my ears during my commute walk. It sounds good out of the box, but needs EQ to dial back midbass and bump low mids, and cut 2kHz a bit.

I'll have to see if the silver cable makes any changes to the sound. Doubt it.

I had the same issue. tried the different size KZ star tips and spin fits and they would not stay in my ears. Changed to Symbio MandarinE tips and problem solved. :)

Apr 25, 2018 at 12:09 PM Post #31,436 of 63,917
I bought this LP shortly after it was released. Missed out on the short lived CD release. However someone was nice enough to post a YouTube video of it. The audio is supposed to be uncompressed according to the poster. Its from a BBC documentary on the Andes. Interesting percussion and pan pipes and more. I extracted the audio. I created a cue file so that I can reference the various tracks. I'll post the link to the video in the spoiler but it doesn't look like head-fi provides any storage for files so I'll have to figure out where to toss the cue file in case anyone wants it. Nice music for testing midrange and imaging and for checking on boomy bass.

This site can extract audio from YouTube videos https://www.onlinevideoconverter.com/mp3-converter

Apr 25, 2018 at 12:16 PM Post #31,438 of 63,917
Just received my red color ZS10 paired with silicone tips and after spending some quality time on most of my favorite tracks I've concluded that my ZST Pro (color edition) paired with foam tips sound way better. High frequencies on the ZST Pro paired with foam tips sound much more natural with clearer micro details and bass is tighter without the mid-bass bleed that's present on the ZS10. Instrument separation, layering and percussive transient attack is still better on the ZST Pro even though it only has 2 drivers per side. I tried pairing the ZS10 with foam tips and the bass tighten up a little but the high frequencies are even more recessed and I'm missing the high frequency details.

Don't get me wrong, the ZS10 is no lemon, it's just that I expected more from a 5 drivers per side ZS10. The slightly wider soundstage on the ZS10 is the only advantage over the ZST Pro. To my ears, the ZST Pro paired with foam tips sound more balanced overall. Moral of the story, more doesn't mean better...sometimes less is better. On another note, the ZS10 may appeal to people who loves a warm sound signature but unfortunately I don't fall under that category.

PS: I've found a very good use for my ZS10...watching movies...where the thick, fat and warm sound of the ZS10 really comes into play and adds punch to the movie, especially fast action movies with lots of explosions :ksc75smile:

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2018 at 2:00 PM Post #31,440 of 63,917

Users who are viewing this thread

Back