CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Nov 16, 2019 at 1:04 PM Post #21,017 of 31,833
I remember when this Nikon 6mm (220° FOV) Fisheye was in their 1970s equipment catalogs, as a custom order item.
They were something like $23,000 at the time.
In 2012, a used one sold in London, for $160,000.
https://petapixel.com/2012/05/08/160000-nikkor-6mm-fisheye-in-action-on-a-nikon-d800/

I was just on slickdeals.com and just noticed that Samsung had just knocked $40,000 off the new 98 inch 8k qled TV bringing it down to only $60,000.

Wow.

Yeah, $25 for a Blon BL-03, $15 for a nice cable, and $5 for some tips is peanuts lol

Nov 16, 2019 at 2:07 PM Post #21,018 of 31,833
I really want to build up a bank of various tips, but they seem incredibly expensive

For some cheap and good tips (no pun intended), u can try getting some KZ starline tips

Cheaper widebore alternatives are Tennmak Whirlwinds

I think Tennmak Whirlwinds for widebore, KZ Starline for long medium bore (similar to Spinfit CP145 sound-wise for me), and maybe some New Bee foams are all cheap, easy to find, and would cover you for most IEMs. The New Bee cases are also excellent for storing eartips, even if you don't like the foams themselves.

You want an expensive hobby? Try photography. You can’t even buy a halfway decent lens for $400 lol

The trick w/photography is just to get comfortable manually focusing and buy old lenses. My favorite Nikon lens is about twenty years older than me and cost me I think $30.

Nov 16, 2019 at 2:24 PM Post #21,019 of 31,833
I was just on slickdeals.com and just noticed that Samsung had just knocked $40,000 off the new 98 inch 8k qled TV bringing it down to only $60,000.

Wow.
Screenshot_20191116-192350_Chrome.jpg

Nov 16, 2019 at 2:26 PM Post #21,020 of 31,833
I'm surprised there is not a cheap Tip thread. I wish there was a place to buy a box of miscellaneous tips. It seems like they should be dirt cheap.

I thought the same thing, and thanks to @Slater for the ear tip thread link. I found a good ear tip thread on another forums site. I will try to find and link it here if that's not against the rules.

It seems to me that what is really needed is a thread that compares popular name brand tips to good generic alternatives (i.e. @Slater just described Auvio tips as "the poor man’s Spiral Dots without the dots" in response to me in another thread). The first post of this thread could be a comparison of a list of name brands to cheaper counterparts, with notes as to sources for purchase and subtle differences to the name brands. ...maybe even notes as to what popular IEMs they work well on and how they charge the sound, but that might get too complicated/confusing.

Anyway, I dug these out of my box of old cabels, cords and wall warts and stuff:
DSC_0573.JPG

I don't think the XS size is available anymore, so if anyone needs that pair, let me know. Since this is a Radio Shack brand and the Radio Shack brand was aquired by General Wireless following RS's chapter 11 bankruptcy in 2015, there's no telling how long Auvio tips will remain available. Though, if they remain a popular product, they may keep making them.

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2019 at 2:41 PM Post #21,021 of 31,833
Nov 16, 2019 at 3:15 PM Post #21,022 of 31,833
Listening to the TRN V90 with nothing more than starline tips these have to be my favourite iems of all at the moment

Nov 16, 2019 at 3:20 PM Post #21,023 of 31,833
I thought the same thing, and thanks to @Slater for the ear tip thread link. I found a good ear tip thread on another forums site. I will try to find and link it here if that's not against the rules.

It seems to me that what is really needed is a thread that compares popular name brand tips to good generic alternatives (i.e. @Slater just described Auvio tips as "the poor man’s Spiral Dots without the dots" in response to me in another thread). The first post of this thread could be a comparison of a list of name brands to cheaper counterparts, with notes as to sources for purchase and subtle differences to the name brands. ...maybe even notes as to what popular IEMs they work well on and how they charge the sound, but that might get too complicated/confusing.

Anyway, I dug these out of my box of old cabels, cords and wall warts and stuff:

I don't think the XS size is available anymore, so if anyone needs that pair, let me know. Since this is a Radio Shack brand and the Radio Shack brand was aquired by General Wireless following RS's chapter 11 bankruptcy in 2015, there's no telling how long Auvio tips will remain available. Though, if they remain a popular product, they may keep making them.

Oooh. XS may actually fit me. Pm'ed. Small was too large lol.

Nov 16, 2019 at 4:41 PM Post #21,025 of 31,833
I think Tennmak Whirlwinds for widebore, KZ Starline for long medium bore (similar to Spinfit CP145 sound-wise for me), and maybe some New Bee foams are all cheap, easy to find, and would cover you for most IEMs. The New Bee cases are also excellent for storing eartips, even if you don't like the foams themselves.

The trick w/photography is just to get comfortable manually focusing and buy old lenses. My favorite Nikon lens is about twenty years older than me and cost me I think $30.

There's something similar to those hobbies, it's the never ending "I can't get no, satisfaction" that some people seem to experience and are trapped into. It's slightly different, as for photography, people tend to think upgrading their gear every month, will suddenly make their boring flower backyard photographs worthy of a pullizer. They think the gear can make up for the lack of talent, training, and motivation. Needless to say, it never works that way. I spent something like 360€ years ago for a Fuji X-E1 and 35mm f1.4, and to these day it's still all I'll ever need and not the limiting factor.

For portable audio, it's a bit different as there's nothing to produce with those IEMs, still many people seem to be stuck in a spiral of eternal quest of "better for less" or something, which quickly becomes expensive, ironically. Chifi is progressing fast but honestly, skeeping every other side grade/iteration is better for everyone's mental health and wallet, just like Sony cameras.

Nov 16, 2019 at 4:56 PM Post #21,026 of 31,833
As soon as you start collecting anything there comes a point where you start spending money for money's sake. Vintage video games was my big money pit. IEMs are cheap even compared to overears (I am as happy with my BL03 as my HE400i) so it is comparatively easy to accidentally end up with many many more than you intend to. At some point I will probably have a big splurge on an endgame and then I will hopefully be done. Right now I am enjoying all the different sound signatures and trying to figure out what my endgame might be.

Nov 16, 2019 at 5:12 PM Post #21,027 of 31,833
Anyone here that can do a full fleshed out Pro/con of the new Faaeal Hibiscus? Have seen a few sparing comments but nothing comprehensive. Is it good?
i will have one for review but have no idea when it is gonna be here, will compare it to the Blob(Oppoty) and CNT1

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2019 at 5:42 PM Post #21,028 of 31,833
You want an expensive hobby? Try photography. You can’t even buy a halfway decent lens for $400 lol

Try vintage scooters. Lambrettas and Vespas.

Or guitars and amps

Or guns

Or Videogames

I probably have 300k spent on those hobbies.

Headfi is stupid cheap in comparison. Unfortunately I am finding myself being satisfied now, and am venturing back into other more expensive hobbies.

yup. my wife does photography. but even that pales in comparison to her bags and shoes :beyersmile:
so yeah, as far as price goes, this chifi audio hobby is pretty good

i used to collect guitars, amps, and pedals, but even that has settled down because i think i have found my ideal setup and don't need to change it anymore.

my chifi audio purchase also has slowed down, with a few curious purchases here and there, but basically I already found my ideal setups in this hobby too

Nov 16, 2019 at 5:49 PM Post #21,030 of 31,833
This is totally incorrect, don't listen to those people.

Thank you for your reply. What is more than 5% better than BL-03 and V90 under $50?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back