CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Nov 15, 2019 at 11:03 PM Post #21,001 of 31,833
Nice confirmation bias going on with the dt6pro here. I'm extremely skeptical of **** being competent at tuning anything right but if ppl are happy with crap so be it vOv

same goes with "negative confirmation", negative suggestions and nocebo :jecklinsmile:

glad that **** was capable to improve upon the **** - so it's not just a one trick pony or out of sheer luck - lol (love them as well)

Nov 15, 2019 at 11:36 PM Post #21,002 of 31,833
same goes with "negative confirmation", negative suggestions and nocebo :jecklinsmile:

glad that **** was capable to improve upon the **** - so it's not just a one trick pony or out of sheer luck - lol (love them as well)
People seem to like the MT100 quite a lot as well. A couple of their other IEMs were also generally well received. But we all hear things somewhat differently and have different tastes. For that same reason I'm not going to say that the Pro is objectively an improvement over the ****. Some people may prefer the standard ****. Even I went back and forth on the question. I just ended up last night feeling that I preferred the **** Pro. I still haven't listened to them a whole lot and my opinion could change. I'm not trying to hype anything and I honestly don't care what other people prefer. To each their own.

Nov 16, 2019 at 9:07 AM Post #21,003 of 31,833
So this hobby is like a black hole the smallest things are complex and difficult to research for me. I really want to build up a bank of various tips, but they seem incredibly expensive. Spinfits cost anywhere from $5 US to $10 US a pair. I found
AZLA SednaEarfit on the BLON thread but they are $15 US for 2 pairs. I'm surprised there is not a cheap Tip thread. I wish there was a place to buy a box of miscellaneous tips. It seems like they should be dirt cheap. It doesn't seem like they should be expensive to produce. Any thoughts? Feel free to laugh at me. It just seems everything I research is a black hole for me. I just started getting back into this hobby. I have been in headfi a long time, but not real active. I think I'm getting some good stuff.

Nov 16, 2019 at 9:17 AM Post #21,004 of 31,833
So this hobby is like a black hole the smallest things are complex and difficult to research for me. I really want to build up a bank of various tips, but they seem incredibly expensive. Spinfits cost anywhere from $5 US to $10 US a pair. I found
AZLA SednaEarfit on the BLON thread but they are $15 US for 2 pairs. I'm surprised there is not a cheap Tip thread. I wish there was a place to buy a box of miscellaneous tips. It seems like they should be dirt cheap. It doesn't seem like they should be expensive to produce. Any thoughts? Feel free to laugh at me. It just seems everything I research is a black hole for me. I just started getting back into this hobby. I have been in headfi a long time, but not real active. I think I'm getting some good stuff.

Yeah some tips are expensive, I've even seen some of my audiophile friends use a eartip that is more expensive than the IEM itself. There's even custom ear tips (not custom shells, but the tips that are customized to ear canal). How much u wanna spend on peripherals like cables and tips is very subjective though.

I like spinfits a lot, but agree they are quite costly; but for sure, eartips can make a difference between an IEM sounding crap and sounding heavenly. Not all of us have a perfect fit with the stock supplied tips. All of us have different ear anatomies and in general these CHIFI stuff are made and tested for their domestic Chinese market. So sometimes westerners may have bigger build and may not have a good fit/seal - see case in point BLON BL-03 short nozzle causing a fit for most headfiers, pun intended. Even for some highly sensitive IEMs, how far u plunge the eartip into the ear canal can affect the sound eg Audiosense T800.

In general, I find wide bore tips tend to lower bass and vice versa. For some cheap and good tips (no pun intended), u can try getting some KZ starline tips or Sony MH755 tips. The former can be gotten for a few cents on ebay, a lot of headfiers (including myself) like them. Anyway when u are in this rabbit hole hobby for a few more months, u will probably end up buying your fair share of IEMs, and accumulate a stockpile of eartips sooner or later!!!

Nov 16, 2019 at 9:31 AM Post #21,005 of 31,833
I'm surprised there is not a cheap Tip thread...

It seems like they should be dirt cheap. It doesn't seem like they should be expensive to produce...

Eartip thread:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/best-iem-tips.626895/

As far as the cost, I heard from an insider that Spinfits cost $0.30 to make. Yet they charge $10+.

Why? The answer is greed.

3C6D37B4-1FCC-4BFC-BC95-DCDF84D63A58.gif

And I’m sure someone will say ‘oh, but there’s rent and marketing and business costs too blah blah blah’. Yes, that’s true as I’ve owned more than one of my own businesses. But generally in business, a 10% to 30% profit margin is considered good. $10 represents more than a 3200% markup, which I personally consider consumer rape.

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2019 at 9:34 AM Post #21,006 of 31,833
Yeah, I had spend around probably $400 worth of money for this hobby just after I first discovered IEM and the community two months ago & it'll not stop probably. The costliest hobby in the list.

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2019 at 9:36 AM Post #21,008 of 31,833

You can search eBay and AliExpress for many generic tips. They mostly cost around a few cents to a dollar for a pair and can be bought in bulk. Cheaper widebore alternatives are Tennmak Whirlwinds, similarly as stated by @baskingshark you can get 30 pairs of KZ starlines for almost 70cents, then there are other generic narrow, medium and ultra-wide bore tips available. There are always alternatives available in every budget it's up to your preference and comfort.

Nov 16, 2019 at 9:36 AM Post #21,009 of 31,833
And yet now I'm going for a CIEM which will cost me around $240 :head_bandage:

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2019 at 9:52 AM Post #21,010 of 31,833
Eartip thread:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/best-iem-tips.626895/

As far as the cost, I heard from an insider that Spinfits cost $0.30 to make. Yet they charge $10+.

Why? The answer is greed.

And I’m sure someone will say ‘oh, but there’s rent and marketing and business costs too blah blah blah’. Yes, that’s true as I’ve owned more than one of my own businesses. But generally in business, a 10% to 30% profit margin is considered good. $10 represents more than a 3200% markup, which I personally consider consumer rape.

Thank you Slater. You are a wealth of information.

Nov 16, 2019 at 11:17 AM Post #21,011 of 31,833
Yeah, I had spend around probably $400 worth of money for this hobby just after I first discovered IEM and the community two months ago & it'll not stop probably. The costliest hobby in the list.

You want an expensive hobby? Try photography. You can’t even buy a halfway decent lens for $400 lol

Nov 16, 2019 at 11:51 AM Post #21,012 of 31,833
You want an expensive hobby? Try photography. You can’t even buy a halfway decent lens for $400 lol
Ups, seems to skip that. Now it seems like it was cheaper a bit. Maybe 2nd the most expensive hobby on the list. :L3000:

Nov 16, 2019 at 12:41 PM Post #21,015 of 31,833

Users who are viewing this thread

Back