CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Dec 23, 2016 at 4:52 PM Post #1,846 of 31,833
@Vidal, thanks for the clarification! Unfortunately my phone is too old to support USB OTG, looks like I'll have to update my phone first :p

Are there any DACs compatible with a DAP or would an amp be fine?

Many cheap amplifiers have poor shielding and will make unwanted noise when paired with a phone so make sure to ask some owners of your chosen one before you purchase it.

Dec 23, 2016 at 7:17 PM Post #1,847 of 31,833
That depends entirely on if you actually like the current sound from your phone or not. Other than that, the CMoy Amps are quite good portable amps. I would also suggest the HiFiMe DACs if you are in the market for that at a later point in time.

There should be a lot of other options out there to, so I suggest you do a bit of digging in the head-fi forums to find some other alternatives. Perhaps you will find a thread that is better suited for your question.

My phone is really bad sound-wise, but I'm getting the Benjie S5 DAP. Would an amp suffice?

Many cheap amplifiers have poor shielding and will make unwanted noise when paired with a phone so make sure to ask some owners of your chosen one before you purchase it.

Okay, thank you, I'll try to research more.

Dec 23, 2016 at 10:28 PM Post #1,848 of 31,833
My phone is really bad sound-wise, but I'm getting the Benjie S5 DAP. Would an amp suffice?

Okay, thank you, I'll try to research more.

Same answer more or less, if you are satisfied with the sound from the device (phone, or DAP) you don't need a DAC. It's also not certain that you would need an amp at all as some devices deliver more than enough power. The simple answer would be to get whatever device you want to play from first and then decide if you need a DAC to improve SQ, an AMP to increase the power or simply a combo of both. I don't want to recommend anything before you actually know what you want/need.

Dec 24, 2016 at 1:53 AM Post #1,850 of 31,833
@Vidal, thanks for the clarification! Unfortunately my phone is too old to support USB OTG, looks like I'll have to update my phone first :p

Are there any DACs compatible with a DAP or would an amp be fine?

There are DACs that will work with a DAP but it's more to do with whether a DAP has a digital out. The Benjie S5 is fairly powerful with great sound, I doubt you'll need a DAC/Amp.

Why do you need the extra juice/power do have hard to drive headphones?

Dec 24, 2016 at 3:58 AM Post #1,851 of 31,833
Has anyone heard/ reviewed kinera bd05 hybrids? It;s their new arrival in their shop. 

I have been a user of Kinera BD005 for a few days and at least two other headfiers have them,too. I like them a lot, they offer a great soundstage, good detail and separation, as for the lows can go deep but without muddiness while the highs are clear without becoming sibilant and the mids are smooth. The build quality is good, I like the cable, it's sturdy but soft and non-tangible.

Dec 25, 2016 at 11:55 AM Post #1,856 of 31,833
I'm curious, what are the best ~10$ bluetooth in ears??
So far i found KZ HDSE and AWEI 9xx series...

I own the KZ HDSE, they have a nice warm signature with punchy bass, even though it slightly bleeds some details but at an acceptable level. They're very nice for working out but if you want something with a more neutral or analytical signature you may need to spend more money.

Dec 25, 2016 at 1:32 PM Post #1,857 of 31,833
I own the KZ HDSE, they have a nice warm signature with punchy bass, even though it slightly bleeds some details but at an acceptable level. They're very nice for working out but if you want something with a more neutral or analytical signature you may need to spend more money.

No, i just want something with fun bass and non-shrill/bright mids and i want it to be reliable with good battery time (around 4+ hours).

Dec 25, 2016 at 1:34 PM Post #1,859 of 31,833

I can't guarantee they will be reliable because I've only owned them for around a month but in terms of sound signature I think you will find them enjoyable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back