CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Dec 26, 2016 at 12:34 AM Post #1,861 of 31,833
I have been a user of Kinera BD005 for a few days and at least two other headfiers have them,too. I like them a lot, they offer a great soundstage, good detail and separation, as for the lows can go deep but without muddiness while the highs are clear without becoming sibilant and the mids are smooth. The build quality is good, I like the cable, it's sturdy but soft and non-tangible.

How do they perform vs the Tennmak pro? I'm thinking of buying one .

Dec 28, 2016 at 1:44 AM Post #1,866 of 31,833
My Benjie S5 arrived! It's smaller than I expected it to be but that's good, makes it easier to use for running. I don't have any earphones yet to use with it (KZ ATR hasn't shipped yet) but paired with my AKG K92 and flicking it onto the Jazz EQ it sounds far better than my phone. The earbuds that come with it aren't that good and I can't get a good fit with them. Interface is easy to navigate but album and artist formatting isn't great, some of my artists are actually showing up under a name of a collaboration they did. Battery life is great.

Dec 28, 2016 at 4:12 AM Post #1,867 of 31,833
So I got a whole bunch of Chinese IEMs in the past few weeks and thought I'd write a one line review for all of them for you guys to have as a reference.

KZ ATE - the first I received and one of my favorites of the bunch. Very balanced sounding, decent soundstage and instrument separation with a sprinkling of bass but can sound a bit dry with some music.
KZ ZS3 - one of the more comfortable KZ IEMs, these are V-shaped and bassy and comfortable to listen to for long sessions
KZ ED9 - these come with two filters that significantly change the sound signature. The "bass" or default tip make them sound like a punchier ZS3 with better soundstage and the so-called "balanced" filter makes them sound more balanced but personally I don't appreciate how airy those filters make them sound
KZ ZS1 - the most unique of the bunch, a bassy earphone that feels like you are listening to a song while being inside the studio that is recording it. They have surprising amount of soundstage and give most of your music a warm blanked of bass that makes music sound a lot more envolving.
KZ ATR - some head-fi'ers consider these an upgrade to the KZ ATE and I find that very odd. Whereas the ATE sound more neutral/balanced these definitely sound warmer and bassier. The soundstage is tiny compared to the ATE and outside of their shell design and other physical characteristics, they have very little to do with the ATE's sound in my opinion. Still, these are the cheapest of the KZ line and they don't feel lacking or worse than any of the others.
KZ ZST - A W-shaped wonder. Bright and cheerful, immense soundstage. These add that little extra something that made the KZ ATE felt lacking with some types of music, they are, in my opinion, the best of KZ's lineup. No other KZ IEM will offer as much detail with as clear imaging and as pleasing sound quality as the ZST.
Sennfer UE - This brand is mostly known on head-fi for their 4in1 model but I decided to pick up this small MMCX connector IEM and it is very pleasant sounding. To my ears the sound is relatively balanced and are extremely comfortable to wear for long sessions but they don't particularly have any single sound characteristic that makes them standout compared to the KZ IEMs which have at least one characteristic I can easily point to. Also, do not confuse these with the Sennfer UEs which are a different model.
Tennmak Pro - the most comfortable out of this bunch. They are tiny and light and fit and sit inside your ears rather than outside. The sound? Really good. The only "issue" I have with them is that I received them on the same day as the ZST and they share some similarities but ultimately I feel like the ZST are just a bit better in terms of sound quality however, in terms of fit alone and compelling sound quality I have the strong feeling that these will be getting a lot of use out of all the earphones on this list.

If you have any questions about any of these let me know.

I will now list the stores from which I ordered each of these from. I know that it can be a potshot to know which sellers to order from and which offer the best service/reliable service. While I can't guarantee that all of these stores will be that, I can tell you that they worked for me, and I'll point out if they didn't or failed me in some way.

Most of KZ's earphones were ordered from Gearbest.com who often offer the cheapest sales price for these, beating even the official KZ store on aliexpress. I had no major issues with Gearbest but they did suffer from some stock issues during this holiday season and didn't make that clear for people ordering their products. I recommend that if you place an order and don't find it shipping very soon to send them a support message asking when your order will be shipped, with that said though, they ship surprisingly fast and although I ordered some IEMs from various Aliexpress sellers before they shipped my delayed unit, Gearbest's package arrived first. Although they're not perfect, I prefer to order from Gearbest when I can instead of Aliexpress because of the faster shipping times and better customer support.

The Sennfer UE were ordered from NiceHCK Audio Store in Aliexpress: https://www.aliexpress.com/store/1825606 I have nothing of note to point out, the earphones were nicely package and even included a small carrying pouch which wasn't mentioned in the product page.

Tennmak Pro were ordered from Tennmak's official store in Aliexpress: https://www.aliexpress.com/store/1183804?spm=2114.13010608.0.0.XEzaQM They took a while to ship, I'm guessing due to stock issues but outside of that the package arrived safely in a reasonable amount of time after they shipped.

Dec 28, 2016 at 11:53 AM Post #1,869 of 31,833
hi Griffith
can u compare between tenmmak pro and kinera bd005

I don't own the Kinera nor intend to order it any time soon because, well... look at how many earphones I recently bought (and there are still 3 more on the way), but if someone would like to sponsor them to me or send a copy to review/compare to others I'd be more than willing to do so.

Also, for the record I intend to review most of the earphones I listed and make an overall comparison between them, it's only a matter of time and organizing them in a way that doesn't make me go mad, which will probably be with a lot of A/B testing, but that will take some time.

Dec 29, 2016 at 8:35 PM Post #1,871 of 31,833
  Thank you so much for all the detailed information.  Please keep updating the list when you have time.  Also, do you have any experience on Chinese mobile amps?  Please share with us if you do. Many thanks.

I have an old Fiio E7 that doesn't get much use nowadays... there's nothing wrong with it, I just have a desktop device and haven't had much use for my laptop the past couple of years. On my desk I use an Audio GD NFB12 desktop DAC/AMP combo. It's pretty great, lots of ports that allow me to connect everything I want into it, easy to switch between outputs, low/high-gain, ever-so-slightly warmer output than the Fiio can power anything I throw at it including the Fostex T50RP Mk3 which are notorious for requiring a lot of power to drive.

Z, who reviews a lot of audio gear recently reviewed an Audio GD product that looks very similar to the one I own if you are interested: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gemH2afUKA8

If you only want a portable amp, why not just buy a Fiio one? If I was buying a portable DAC/AMP today I'd buy the Fiio Kunlun E18 http://www.fiio.net/en/products/20

If you only want amplification and don't care for a dac then get the Fiio A5: http://www.fiio.net/en/products/59

Dec 30, 2016 at 1:38 PM Post #1,872 of 31,833
santa just delivered the ty hi-z g3 iem, which i ordered on the recommendation of vidal, who also turned me on the the **** dt2 and the urbanfun. ootb impressions very favorable--mucho transparency. will post detailed  impressions anon.

Dec 30, 2016 at 1:47 PM Post #1,873 of 31,833
Please compare with 4in1 and cellos if u have them.

Dec 31, 2016 at 5:32 PM Post #1,875 of 31,833
Please compare with 4in1 and cellos if u have them.

i don't have the cello or the 4in1, tho i do have the dt2+ (useta have the dt2) and am waiting on the supposed cello clone, the senzer h1. so far the ty g3 impress with a very large 3d soundstage and across-the-board clarity. the overall signature is balanced--tight articulate midbass, tho not much subbass thump, clean mids and very well extended, slightly bright treble which presents a lot of microdetail. if you're an audiophile purist, you'll really like these--they're close to that neutral reference tuning and are very accurate. now a philistine like me wants a meatier low end, so i prefer the dt2 or even the urbanfun for now, tho i need to listen the g3 more. i did notice that when i cover the vents on the g3, the low end gets massive, but i don't know if that screws up their sonic qualities. i might try putting some blutack over the vents and see if they explode.
happy new year, y'all

Users who are viewing this thread

Back