CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Dec 17, 2016 at 10:41 AM Post #1,831 of 31,833

I tried your "test track" with the **** UE I received yesterday and they handle those highs perfectly. The highs have a very "poppy" feel to them, they are very quick and brighten up most tracks that make use of similar frequencies. In that way they remind me of my Fostex T50RP Mk3.

Hmmmmmm, I don't own any **** products.  I was thinking about the 4 in 1s, but the reviews here have been so mixed that I didn't pull the trigger.  I will add them to my wishlist. 
smily_headphones1.gif
  I love that Chvurches song, but I can't even listen to it in my car........ I drive a company car that is leased, so we are not allowed to modify the horrible speakers. 
mad.gif

Dec 17, 2016 at 10:58 AM Post #1,832 of 31,833

Hmmmmmm, I don't own any **** products.  I was thinking about the 4 in 1s, but the reviews here have been so mixed that I didn't pull the trigger.  I will add them to my wishlist. 
smily_headphones1.gif
  I love that Chvurches song, but I can't even listen to it in my car........ I drive a company car that is leased, so we are not allowed to modify the horrible speakers. 
mad.gif

Well of course you can't otherwise it would lose resale value when the company turns it in.

I've also heard mixed things about the **** 4in1 but overall I think they're still considered the best of the **** line. These UE I think have significantly less sub-bass but I don't have any complaints about the mids/highs.

Dec 17, 2016 at 12:01 PM Post #1,834 of 31,833
  I know, but I can dream......... 
redface.gif

Depending on the car you might be able to plug in a radio without losing value, if that's the case, you could just get one with decent sound output and an aux port and just plug some earphones to them.

But on another note I find that spending money on car audio is an inglorious task with fruitless results. Even if you get really nice sound quality inside your car you'll still be restricted by the amount of traffic and other noise sources surrounding you. It's like trying to build a Spa in the middle of a swamp.

Dec 17, 2016 at 2:57 PM Post #1,835 of 31,833

But on another note I find that spending money on car audio is an inglorious task with fruitless results. Even if you get really nice sound quality inside your car you'll still be restricted by the amount of traffic and other noise sources surrounding you. It's like trying to build a Spa in the middle of a swamp.

You can get decent results with the right car and right setup, my current car an MX5 (Miata) is a dead loss though even though it's the folding hardtop version. I've tried every trick in the book to silence it but it's just not designed to be quiet.

Big diesel mercs, Jags and BMWs seem to be the best.

Dec 17, 2016 at 5:18 PM Post #1,836 of 31,833
Depending on the car you might be able to plug in a radio without losing value, if that's the case, you could just get one with decent sound output and an aux port and just plug some earphones to them.

It is a Ford Escape, so I don't think it is possible. They purchase the version with Sync so that everyone is in compliance with any hands free cell laws. The lease is for 3 years and some of my colleagues put 30-40k miles a year on the cars, so by the time the lease is up the stereo could potentially be the only thing with any resale value. :slight_smile:

Dec 18, 2016 at 7:45 AM Post #1,837 of 31,833
It is a Ford Escape, so I don't think it is possible. They purchase the version with Sync so that everyone is in compliance with any hands free cell laws. The lease is for 3 years and some of my colleagues put 30-40k miles a year on the cars, so by the time the lease is up the stereo could potentially be the only thing with any resale value. :slight_smile:

That's tough. Maybe just give up and buy a Creative Sound Blaster Roar or some other speaker and blast that from the backseat of the car :wink:

Dec 18, 2016 at 9:36 AM Post #1,838 of 31,833
Does anyone know why we can't access the **** UE's product page? It seems to be locked or there's something wrong with it.

Dec 18, 2016 at 4:07 PM Post #1,840 of 31,833
Dec 23, 2016 at 5:35 AM Post #1,843 of 31,833
  Also, anyone know of a cheap ($<100) portable headphone AMP/DAC or DAC that has battery power and plugs in through a standard headphone jack? I know the Topping NX1 exists but it's getting harder to find on Aliexpress.

A DAC has to have a usb connection to get the digital signal, it's just an Amp that will work through a jack socket. The NX1 is OK but picks up noise if you use it with a smartphone.

In terms of smartphone compatible DACs I'd recommend some of the Fiio stuff Q1, E17K and the K1 (non battery) along with the Cozoy Astrapi and Aegis.

Dec 23, 2016 at 3:54 PM Post #1,845 of 31,833
@Vidal, thanks for the clarification! Unfortunately my phone is too old to support USB OTG, looks like I'll have to update my phone first :p

Are there any DACs compatible with a DAP or would an amp be fine?

That depends entirely on if you actually like the current sound from your phone or not. Other than that, the CMoy Amps are quite good portable amps. I would also suggest the HiFiMe DACs if you are in the market for that at a later point in time.

There should be a lot of other options out there to, so I suggest you do a bit of digging in the head-fi forums to find some other alternatives. Perhaps you will find a thread that is better suited for your question.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back