CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Jan 6, 2017 at 7:38 AM Post #1,892 of 31,833

KZ ZS1 - the most unique of the bunch, a bassy earphone that feels like you are listening to a song while being inside the studio that is recording it. They have surprising amount of soundstage and give most of your music a warm blanked of bass that makes music sound a lot more envolving.

After this review I'll buy a ZS1. Found a huge price difference between ALIEXPRESS and GEARBEST - I will buy at gearbest/$9,69

Jan 6, 2017 at 9:35 AM Post #1,893 of 31,833

I picked out some more tracks (Ayo) with natural bass, not electronic bass, the xe800 sound cold and artificial whilst the G3s have plenty of warmth and carry the full bass impact. They're not bass canons like say Banjos but there is bass in the mix.

The eartips I'm using are the large comply rounded so they make the earphones resemble Michael Jackson's afro circa the Jackson 5 days.

vidal, since you've given me so much valuable advise in the past i'll give you some--never recommend "ayo" to anyone.
i did listen to the g3 further on bass-forward tracks (sane stuff like jaco and stanley clarke) and they're kinda schizophrenic--at times the bass impact is there and at others it seems to disappear--i'm thinking perhaps slight nuances of fit and tips have a big effect on these. staging and detail remain very impressive

Jan 6, 2017 at 10:33 AM Post #1,894 of 31,833

vidal, since you've given me so much valuable advise in the past i'll give you some--never recommend "ayo" to anyone.
i did listen to the g3 further on bass-forward tracks (sane stuff like jaco and stanley clarke) and they're kinda schizophrenic--at times the bass impact is there and at others it seems to disappear--i'm thinking perhaps slight nuances of fit and tips have a big effect on these. staging and detail remain very impressive

Are we talking the Nigerian-German singer Ayo, I take it you're not a fan then?  

It was one of her tracks, 'Down on my knees', that I was told to use when setting up my car's subwoofer and I've used it ever since as a reference track. Only like some of her stuff mind not all.

This is the thing that took me ages to sort out with the G3 some listening sessions they seemed flat, then the next they'd come alive. Since swapping to large foams I've always got the sweet spot.

Jan 6, 2017 at 10:52 AM Post #1,895 of 31,833

Are we talking the Nigerian-German singer Ayo, I take it you're not a fan then?  

It was one of her tracks, 'Down on my knees', that I was told to use when setting up my car's subwoofer and I've used it ever since as a reference track. Only like some of her stuff mind not all.

This is the thing that took me ages to sort out with the G3 some listening sessions they seemed flat, then the next they'd come alive. Since swapping to large foams I've always got the sweet spot.

the ayo i heard was some crazed rapper on spotify--i'm sure your ayo is a lovely person and mean her no disrespect

Jan 6, 2017 at 10:55 AM Post #1,896 of 31,833
the ayo i heard was some crazed rapper on spotify--i'm sure your ayo is a lovely person and mean her no disrespect

Ah yes, that's a Chris Brown track called Ayo, just found it and I agree terrible. As far removed from my Ayo as it's possible to get, she's this one: -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZOJsIlAgpE

(added better audio version)

Jan 6, 2017 at 4:10 PM Post #1,897 of 31,833

Ah yes, that's a Chris Brown track called Ayo, just found it and I agree terrible. As far removed from my Ayo as it's possible to get, she's this one: -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZOJsIlAgpE

(added better audio version)

i just got back from a ten hour road trip during which my wife and kid insisted on listening to gangster rap, so i'm a little raw...your ayo is much better...
in any event, what i think is going on with the g3 is that they're hyper-responsive to impedance/source--i.e. when i played them from my (high powered) desktop rig they sounded very bass-shy and anemic; when i drove 'em with my mobile, they had much more low end oomph and, oddly, enough, seemed louder--very strange

Jan 6, 2017 at 4:33 PM Post #1,898 of 31,833
  i just got back from a ten hour road trip during which my wife and kid insisted on listening to gangster rap, so i'm a little raw...your ayo is much better...
in any event, what i think is going on with the g3 is that they're hyper-responsive to impedance/source--i.e. when i played them from my (high powered) desktop rig they sounded very bass-shy and anemic; when i drove 'em with my mobile, they had much more low end oomph and, oddly, enough, seemed louder--very strange

10 hours of gangster rap, ouch that makes being waterboarded seem like a recreational pastime.

I'll dig out my valve amp tomorrow and see how they play with that, been meaning to give it a run out now I've got good reason to.

Jan 6, 2017 at 5:41 PM Post #1,899 of 31,833
So I (think I--drunkenly?) ordered the K's 500 Ohm earbud/phones (aliExpress), has anyone heard/read anything about these!?
I was scrolling page by page through the best sub-100 thread here, and well... this seems like less work.
I've got anywhere from 1 to 12 days before they show up and I get to decide for myself, only I'm hoping to probably sell them (as I didn't mean to buy them) and purchase a bunch of other headphones!

Jan 6, 2017 at 7:38 PM Post #1,901 of 31,833
A new beast should be coming out in February for 99 dollars from echobox audio called the traveler which is made from solid titanium housing and peek diaphragm. Build to last and should blow away everything in the price range:sunglasses:

Sounds as if it's the same as their Finder (ti body, peek diaphragm) which is going for $300 on Amazon. Maybe they're rebadging it at a more realistic price point.

Jan 6, 2017 at 11:04 PM Post #1,902 of 31,833
So I (think I--drunkenly?) ordered the K's 500 Ohm earbud/phones (aliExpress), has anyone heard/read anything about these!?
I was scrolling page by page through the best sub-100 thread here, and well... this seems like less work.
I've got anywhere from 1 to 12 days before they show up and I get to decide for myself, only I'm hoping to probably sell them (as I didn't mean to buy them) and purchase a bunch of other headphones!
check the earbuds round-up thread. There was also a review in the front page of head-fi.

Jan 7, 2017 at 1:02 PM Post #1,903 of 31,833
A new beast should be coming out in February for 99 dollars from echobox audio called the traveler which is made from solid titanium housing and peek diaphragm. Build to last and should blow away everything in the price range:sunglasses:

Sounds as if it's the same as their Finder (ti body, peek diaphragm) which is going for $300 on Amazon. Maybe they're rebadging it at a more realistic price point.
the finder is the midrange iem, the travler is smaller housing , flagship uses titanium housing as well and removable cable and peek diaphragm and cost 400

Jan 8, 2017 at 8:03 AM Post #1,904 of 31,833
Wow been away from iems since the Monster Turbine Coppers(the very beginning of the explosion before all the super high ends became popular)  recently got a mojo.  I KNOW cables do matter I noticed this tingo the entire wire seems to actually be silver plated(if the plating is real I buy my own occ silver plated copper(to make my own cables) but it has a stiff teflon jacket(no good for iems) I havent been able to source flexible occ silver plated copper) but the **** 4.1 cabes when the wires attach to the actual connectors I see colors meaning the silver wire is actually foil shielding and then the wires have plastic sheatch colors or its magnet wire with a colored coating(looks like plastic sheaths but the photos are too distant to be sure).  Anyone know where I can find occ silver plated copper 2 pin and mmcx connectored cables?  Im reading this entire thread backwards(currently on page 89 these posts are fairly dense trying to process and create heirarchy in my mind) and I'm going to do the chinese thread next and taking notes.... Seems like this market has developed allot which I always thought this market was way overpriced(on the us and european side was disappointed with a recent re-00 drop hifimans used to be the best bang for buck back in day on headphone list decided to finish burning them in they are burning right now but still I'm not impressed they are clear but too analytical) and always put off getting alclairs or custom art music one.  I still only have like 5 iems all of them over 100 dollars msrp tho.  I listen mainly to edm radio and a little bit of everything else.  I was dissappointed with my old paradigm flagship e3ms?(dont remember model number, unlimited amping with these and just more tight bass(well see after I get some of your best off this thread for comparison... I'm more into balanced tho and I understand how tips works very well very interested to get into the new tips too back in the day the monster hybrid tips were the best and are still great but it looks like they have added that hard inner tube to other styles now) but wow do those sound good tho veiled out of the mojo.  I was going to move at the end of this month but I think I need another month to get ready so I need to knock these threads down and put in some orders so I can get them before I move.

Oh yeah if these chifis break you guys should get into soldering.  I could repost a very long guide I put on MassDrop but the problem with iems(learned this cause I jog in my coppers) is often the drivers are far more sensitive than you hear. When my cable broke from jogging stress relief, I had to resolder them and I like my 5% silver solder and boy did that make them hotter and slightly harsh the highs are now way more extended.  I am convinced iem manufacturers and probably headphone manufacturers in general use some kind of tuned resistive solder that tames highs(noticed this also on my  Audio Technica ath-ad900xs when I had to resolder the 3.5mm TRS stress relief(after a cutting off an inch and half of the end).  So while you can fix them without this special high taming solder(My coppers sound better now but I have to EQ the highs a little bit but the bass is also way better with more punch now; that resistive solder somehow smooths the whole spectrum) they might not be the same.  Fixing minor QC details is fairly simple usually if a whole iem quits likely a solder joint broke or something else but the fix should be relatively easy(the hard part is taking everything apart without tearing it up(often has to be loosened up with a heatgun(an assortment of picks, implements, and fine tools cant hurt either) to melt glues a little but be careful(plastic shells often snap apart and or are glued I wouldnt try a heatgun on those you just have to figure out the rubix cube) and dont melt the rubber and plastic or the plastic seperators in the trs jack) and really often cheap 3.5mm connectors use a hot glue they coat the interior volume with that dries very hard but I have a Steinel PURGlue50(PUR polyurethane hot glue its somewhat softer tho than the glue they like to use in connectors if you order a usb adapter off ebay often the inside is coated with this hotglue as well, in sneakers if you apply a thin layer it remains felxible but becomes extremely strong after 2 days of curing in a moisture air environment(earth) it becomes so strong if you bond wood with it the wood will crack before the joint)gun that is great for attach sneaker uppers to midsoles(I can repair all my shoes now since I run and nikes and reeboks and everything break in a year and then have to be reglued and its also good for filling connector wire cavities with hotglue for rigidity and insulation).

P.S. to anyone reading the whole thread after this point(p127) to around page 50(if reading backwards probably best to read the thread backwards) it seems to get old and mostly about dacs and players before this with some iem info already stated again later repeated with earlier comparisons maybe you can stop around 50 and not go all the way back to save some time im at 30(before page 30 it returns to iem info but its mostly old data with more detailed info on the older ones that hold their own) now gonna finish it off.  Yeah after page 50 theres a little data but it seems mostly old and those are not recommended later so probably considered inferior.  Except the first post.

Jan 9, 2017 at 9:45 AM Post #1,905 of 31,833
I don't know if im posting this in the correct thread, i ordered these i-buffalo BA earphones from amazon came from Japan, they cost me £15 , i was curious in trying them when i saw the price, i dont know if they are going to be rubbish or a cheap gem, anyone heard of the company or tried them? Can't find any detailed reviews on them just from google i see they where released few years ago in japan, they came this morning i cant wait to try them when i get home from work. Cable is pretty short chest level according to the details on the box but i wouldnt mind that if the sound is half decent.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back