CEntrance DACmini DAC/Amplifier Official Thread
Oct 30, 2011 at 1:02 AM Post #526 of 1,412

Quote:
HI, Im a week old owner of the Dacmini and I sure am impressed with what this little box can deliver.. Btw, Im pairing it up with my Ms2i and I have to say that I love the instrumental separation and the expansion of the soundstage. I used to find the Ms2i a little too forward but now it sounds a lot smoother.. Anyway I'm thinking about jumping in and getting the LCD-3 that has just been released.. But Im not sure if Dacmini is able to drive them well.. I know it drives the LCD-2's well but anyone here tried pairing them up with the LCD-3? What do you guys think?

I briefly tried the DACmini that was feeding the Cavalli Audio Liquid Fire amp at the Audeze table at RMAF, using LCD-3.  I though it was pretty good with them, although it was eclipsed by the LF amp, and also by an Eddie Current 2A3 at the table as well (diff source).  But those amps cost 3-4x as much as the DACmini, and they didn't totally blow it away although the improvement was noticeable in refinement and musicality.

Nov 5, 2011 at 6:37 PM Post #531 of 1,412

Quote:
How the CEntrance DACmini compare to ‪Burson HA-160D?

Seems like there are quite a few people after this same information, but there doesn't seem to be a lot of opinions. There are a few, such as a review on headfonia but other than that information is pretty scarce.

Nov 5, 2011 at 8:04 PM Post #533 of 1,412

Quote:
 Thanks for the info, anyone checked how the device functions as pre amplifier?

It's a fixed volume control on the outputs unless you get it modded officially by CEntrance.  Using it as a DAC to my speakers sounded fantastic.  There's a few people on here that have had it modded and have been pleased by it's performance. 

Nov 5, 2011 at 8:35 PM Post #534 of 1,412

There a quite a few opinions about the product has a completely neutral sound, is that correct?

I prefer the warm sound like the mhdt havana than the neutral/dry sound.

Nov 6, 2011 at 12:48 AM Post #535 of 1,412

Quote:
How the CEntrance DACmini compare to ‪Burson HA-160D?

I have both Burson HA160D and Centrance DACmini Cx (rock n roll and variable output mod).

USB in quality;  Dacmini is better in jitter management, dead quiet background, better sound separation, so you can hear whispered sounds in record better.  But for microdetails of each sound that you can hear from both amps, Burson HA160D has more microdetails.
edit I use wireworld silver starlight 5.2 USB cable with Burson HA160D and I use Centrance's standard USB cable with DACmini Cx.  Wireworld's USB cable has more details but Centrance's USB cable has smoother treble.  So I think I can hear more details from Burson HA160D because of Wireworld's USB cable.

Sound signature;  Burson has slightly darker signature, with more definition at the bottom so Dacmini sounds thinner.  DAcmini sounds smoother at Mid and treble. 

Power;  Burson HA160D has more power.  For LCD2 listening Burson HA160D needs 12 o'clock but DACmini need 13:30 o'clock on volume to be equally loud.

Dynamic; Both are equal but Burson HA160D has more bass so Burson sounds better for Metal.

Musicallity; Boths are good, the music from both amps can touch listener's emotion.

I like them boths for different musics.
Dacmini performs its best with standard USB cable and cheap AC cable.  But Burson HA160D needs after market USB cable and AC cable (mine use Wireworld Silver Starlight 5.2 USB cable and Monster power line 400 AC cable).  Burson HA160D sound bad with cheap USB cable and AC power.

Hope this help.

Nov 6, 2011 at 12:52 AM Post #536 of 1,412

Quote:

There a quite a few opinions about the product has a completely neutral sound, is that correct?

I prefer the warm sound like the mhdt havana than the neutral/dry sound.

I'd say if you're looking for warm and tubey, then this isn't the place to be.

But I would never call the sound of the Dacmini dry, clinical, or overly neutral.

This is more what I would say is referred to as transparent.  It presents the music as it sounds, but has wonderful detail and unbelievable decay.  The bass isn't as impactful as say my Keces was, but it sounds more natural and satisfying.  Never do I hear anything bloated or dark.

On top of that, it's just a fun little amp.  I wish there was a way you could walk into a store and audition it.  Because I think it very change a lot of people's perception of hi-fi audio.  Just take a look at how much attention the DACport received, I wish I didn't ignore it back then, because this really is one heck of a product.

Nov 6, 2011 at 12:57 AM Post #537 of 1,412

Quote:
Burson HA160D has more microdetails.

You know, I haven't auditioned the 160D, but I've heard the DACmini has the edge in that department, so I think it's interesting to read otherwise.

I was nearly ready to pick the 160D (can't afford the luxury of owning both) but changed my mind based on the pot (I'm not a fan of stepped antennuators) and the lack of an optical input (they guys are not fans at all).

I would still love to give it a shot one day.  Do you listen to Hip Hop, Classic Rock, or new/old Pop?  I would love to hear which you favor in those genres.

Nov 6, 2011 at 1:18 AM Post #538 of 1,412

Quote:

I have both Burson HA160D and Centrance DACmini (rock n roll and variable output mod).

USB in quality;  Dacmini is better in jitter management, dead quiet background, better sound separation, so you can hear whispered sounds in record better.  But for microdetails of each sound that you can hear from both amps, Burson HA160D has more microdetails.

Sound signature;  Burson has slightly darker signature, with more definition at the bottom so Dacmini sounds thinner.  DAcmini sounds smoother at Mid and treble. 

Power;  Burson HA160D has more power.  For LCD2 listening Burson HA160D needs 12 o'clock but DACmini need 13:30 o'clock on volume to be equally loud.

Dynamic; Both are equal but Burson HA160D has more bass so Burson sounds better for Metal.

Musicallity; Boths are good, the music from both amps can touch listener's emotion.

I like them boths for different musics.
Dacmini performs its best with standard USB cable and cheap AC cable.  But Burson HA160D needs after market USB cable and AC cable (mine use Wireworld Silver Starlight 5.2 USB cable and Monster power line 400 AC cable).  Burson HA160D sound bad with cheap USB cable and AC power.

Hope this help.

The power comparison above can also have something to do with the gain setting of the amp.  The DACmini has a lot of power but it can be held back by the stock gain of 8, and if you want to drive only full size phone and don't plan to use extremely sensitive IEM often, then you should ask to have it built with the gain set at 10.  The higher gain will multiply the input signal more, and result in more power that is closer to the DACmini's real output potential.  The other option is to increase the input voltage coming from the source, but you'd need to use a higher voltage external source to achieve that.  

Regardless, whether one amp has more power to drive a phone to the same volume as another amp has NOTHING to do with where you need to set the volume knob when comparing two different amps.  If both amps can adequately drive the LCD-2 at less than the max setting on the volume pot then NEITHER amp is underpowered.  

Most amps will actually have their volume knob at a different position vs another amp when driving a particular set of phones to a certain volume.  Setting the volume at 12 o'clock position on both amps does not mean 50% of power is being output on both amps - one amp can be at 35% and the other at 65%, and some amps will be at full power well before they can get to max on the knob.  You can probably find an amp that can play the LCD-2 more cleanly at max volume 5 o'clock (and have it putting out more power) than another amp that is at 2 o'clock but pushing the limits of it's power output, just before it starts clipping.

Nov 6, 2011 at 1:53 AM Post #539 of 1,412
I was looking at stock pics of the DacMini PX on the offical webpage and it seems they've paired it with the DT880.  I was just wondering, was the 880 used by the engineer when he was fine tuning this sound?  

Would it be wise to purchase the DT880 and use it exclusively with my new amp.?  

It'd be great to have something else to listen besides my D2000. As much as I love my D20000, (comfort, weight, bass, al top notch), I feel like there is an equivalent with all those traits plus more.  A lot of the new or upper echelon of headphones neglect making headphones lighter and even worse, neglect comfort.

I'm open to the idea of purchasing semi-open headphones like the 880s especially if they were made for THIS amp, but I also know closed headphones would make my gf much more happier..  

Anyone own a pair of 880 will to give us impression and could be nice enough to give us a quick review with the DACMini.

Nov 6, 2011 at 3:44 AM Post #540 of 1,412
[size=10.0pt]From Headphone Addict's comment, I think both Burson HA160D and DACmini should have comparable power.

@ roker

Regards to microdetail.

I forgot to inform another factors which effect a lot to sonic quality. Receptacle at the wall (propery grounding can reduce distortion of the sound), USB cables (connect computer to DACmini or Burson), AC cable (i had already mentioned.) and cable contaction (all type of cables should avoid contact each other at all cost, for example; if wireworld silver starlight 5.2 USB has contaction to AC cable I can hear distortion at treble and irregular rhythm from Burson HA160D, unbelievable but it does occur.). All factors do effect to sonic quality.

The quality of USB cable has effect to Microdetails and tonal balance of the sound.  

Wireworld silver starlight 5.2 USB cable delivers more sonic details than Centrance's standard USB cable (that came in the package when purchase DACmini.)  But Centrance's standard USB cable delivers smoother treble than Wireworld's USB cable.

I used DACmini with standard USB cable, but I used Burson HA160D with Wireworld silver starlight USB cable.  So I can hear more microdetails from Burson HA160D but smoother treble from DACmini.[/size]

[size=10pt]I had tried using Wireworld USB cable with DACmini, the details improof but severely collapse of soundstage so I used DACmini with Centrance's standard USB cable (synergy has a role here).[/size]

[size=10pt]For Burson's standard USB cable (came with Burson HA160D's package) has more bass compare to the other two, soundstage is not as good as Wireworld's USB cable so I use it with Fiio E7+E9 (which help increase bass from HF2 to my satisfied level).

In conclusions both DACmini and Burson HA160D have excellent microdetails, one can produce more microdetails than another if use with better quality and better synergy of USB cable.[/size]

[size=10pt]Regard to music generation.[/size]
[size=10pt]I prefer Burson HA160D and PS500 or LCD2 rev.2 with [/size]Hip Hop, Rock, Metal, Jazz, new age because more bass attack, more treble emphasis, more naunce of each note (guitar, piano, drum, percussion instrument's sound).
I prefer DACmini and RS1i for female singer, wood wind instruments because more fluidity and smoother of the sound.

Chirawat

Users who are viewing this thread

Back