CEntrance DACmini DAC/Amplifier Official Thread
Oct 12, 2011 at 4:48 PM Post #511 of 1,412

Quote:
Shouldn't the output impedance be raised to lessen the noise?

From my understanding raising the output impedance might help with noise but would have a potential detrimental effect on some lower impedance phones, this is what's behind the school of thought that the closer the output impedance is to 0 the better, ideally it would be 1 ohm or lower.

Oct 12, 2011 at 4:53 PM Post #512 of 1,412

Quote:

From my understanding raising the output impedance might help with noise but would have a potential detrimental effect on some lower impedance phones, this is what's behind the school of thought that the closer the output impedance is to 0 the better, ideally it would be 1 ohm or lower.

True! Also the sound attenuation by the 10 Ohm resistance is quite small (less than 4dB in most IEMs) so noise attenuation is also small. And the added detrimental effect would by huge!

Oct 13, 2011 at 7:28 AM Post #513 of 1,412

Quote:
Shouldn't the output impedance be raised to lessen the noise? I have edited my post to make sure there's no misunderstanding. The headphone out of my desktop is too noisy (the original post sounded like I meant that the DACmini HO is too noisy). The DACmini has slight noise to it, I can live with it as long as I don't try to be too picky.

Eventually I might get some quieter amp, possibly some of the Meier Audio ones, if I can't stand the noise or channel imbalance.

That is correct but a higher impedance output will theoretically give lower performance with low-impedance loads. 

Oct 13, 2011 at 10:30 AM Post #514 of 1,412

Quote:
That is correct but a higher impedance output will theoretically give lower performance with low-impedance loads. 

I'm not sure exactly what you're trying to get to, but my Denon D2000s sound great with this amp, vanilla.

in fact, I have no desire to change anything except getting the variable output mod.

Oct 14, 2011 at 3:22 AM Post #515 of 1,412

Quote:
That really is high praise. Are there any comparisons to other preamps? If using the DACmini as dac/preamp?  

In previous testing my mini-DAC sounded very similar to the Apogee Duet via headphone out and line out, so the DACmini should pass over the Duet headphone out, but I'm not sure yet if I can say the DACmini passes up the Apogee via the line-out.  If I had to guess the DACmini at least as good as the Stello DA100 as a DAC, via optical and coax, and the USB is a bit better than the Stello.  Vs the DA100 I very slightly preferred my Apogee.  Some day I will try to clear out a spot on the dining table and hook up both the Apogee and DACmini to a nice amp, and switch between them to better get a feeling for the differences side by side.  Note - my DACmini is not a preamp, having the fixed outputs.  

Vs my Nuforce HDP (side by side) the DACmini headphone out is a little more holographic sounding, and the frequency response is more balanced and less aggressive sounding.  The Nuforce line-out comes a bit closer than the headphone-out does, but it's still not as refined and organic sounding as the Apogee or DACmini.  The HDP is not bad, and it's amp sounds identical to my old $475 balanced RSA Protector, but it's not on the same level.  See my 2010 RMAF ompressions for a direct comparison between the two at the show.  With a $250 Sigma 11 PSU the HDP actually gets close to the DACmini - but HDP is still slightly behind and doesn't have as nice of a volume control for low volume listening with IEM.  

My PS Audio Perfectwave DAC/preamp is on a whole new level of performance vs these.  I don't have any others to compare to.

Oct 14, 2011 at 3:15 PM Post #516 of 1,412
ok guys,
a little comment here cause I'm really trying to think about this synergy factor between dac/amp and cans.
I've recieved my dacmini about 5 month ago and I have to say that I'm not that excited about it that most of you guys seems to be.
I'm currently having a beyer DT990 pro (250ohm) and an AKG K501 and if I agree with lots of technical points (black background, good articulation, extension, instrument separation, tight bass, sweet mids....) in the same time I find it a little bit flat, thin and cold. lacking body, involvment and kind of sterile sounding... throug these cans at least, don't get me wrong.
So now I'm wondering if i should either sell it or pull the trigger on a pair of LCD2.
any advise is welcome
kindest regards

Oct 14, 2011 at 5:03 PM Post #517 of 1,412

Quote:
ok guys,
a little comment here cause I'm really trying to think about this synergy factor between dac/amp and cans.
I've recieved my dacmini about 5 month ago and I have to say that I'm not that excited about it that most of you guys seems to be.
I'm currently having a beyer DT990 pro (250ohm) and an AKG K501 and if I agree with lots of technical points (black background, good articulation, extension, instrument separation, tight bass, sweet mids....) in the same time I find it a little bit flat, thin and cold. lacking body, involvment and kind of sterile sounding... throug these cans at least, don't get me wrong.
So now I'm wondering if i should either sell it or pull the trigger on a pair of LCD2.
any advise is welcome
kindest regards

I wish I could comment on the 990s, but I will say that my cans are bass friendly and that may be one of the reasons the pairing of the D2000s and the DACmini works so well.

Also, one thing I've noticed about the sound is that it is very transparent, which may lead some people to assume it's thin.  If the original recording didn't have a lot of push in the sub-bass area, then don't expect the DACMini to "fill in the blanks."  As some other amps and/or dacs have done for me in the past, but at the expense of presenting the music as it was originally intended to sound.

It seems there's always tradeoffs.  Perhaps this isn't the sound you're looking for.  If you want deeper bass, you usually sacrifice some detail or texture in the process.  I'd give it another shot with the LCD2s if you can though.

Oct 18, 2011 at 1:24 AM Post #519 of 1,412

Quote:
ok guys,
any advise is welcome
kindest regards

It's your cans - buy the LCD-2 or HE-500 and you'll be happier.  If you don't sell the old cans, you'll need a hybrid amp with really warm sounding tubes.

Oct 18, 2011 at 8:49 AM Post #521 of 1,412
thanks for your point of view larry.
Your advises are always highly respected (in my book !)
I'm too thinking that it shurely is a can problem.
I guess I'll have to start saving money... my wallet will hate me!
kindest regard.
Q

Oct 18, 2011 at 10:29 AM Post #522 of 1,412
I'm using my Alessandro MS-Pro with the DACmini and like it as much as DACmini/MAD EAR+ Purist HD combo. Don't have to warm the tubes anymore. It's also very good with the HD-650 for anyone interested.

Oct 20, 2011 at 1:38 AM Post #523 of 1,412

Quote:
Which one do you prefer with a DACmini?
Thanks.

I like both, with the HE-500 being a little more open and forward, with a little better treble than my re-cabled LCD-2 rev1.  The HE-500 sound a lot like my vintage Stax Lambda Nova Signature on my KGSS amp, but the HE-500 have a little better bass control, definition and impact and no upper mids etch.  The LCD-2 are a warmer sounding can with a deeper soundstage due to the less pronounced upper mids and treble, which you may not like as much.

Oct 27, 2011 at 12:10 PM Post #524 of 1,412
HI, Im a week old owner of the Dacmini and I sure am impressed with what this little box can deliver.. Btw, Im pairing it up with my Ms2i and I have to say that I love the instrumental separation and the expansion of the soundstage. I used to find the Ms2i a little too forward but now it sounds a lot smoother.. Anyway I'm thinking about jumping in and getting the LCD-3 that has just been released.. But Im not sure if Dacmini is able to drive them well.. I know it drives the LCD-2's well but anyone here tried pairing them up with the LCD-3? What do you guys think?

Oct 27, 2011 at 1:42 PM Post #525 of 1,412
It's a pretty powerful amplifier.  I'd say off hand it should be fine.

But if push comes to shove you could always send it to CEntrance and have them raise the gain on it (for a price).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back