CEntrance DACmini DAC/Amplifier Official Thread
Nov 6, 2011 at 5:41 AM Post #541 of 1,412

Quote:
[size=10.0pt]I forgot to inform another factors which effect a lot to sonic quality. Receptacle at the wall (propery grounding can reduce distortion of the sound), USB cables (connect computer to DACmini or Burson), AC cable (i had already mentioned.) and cable contaction (all type of cables should avoid contact each other at all cost, for example; if wireworld silver starlight 5.2 USB has contaction to AC cable I can hear distortion at treble and irregular rhythm from Burson HA160D, unbelievable but it does occur.). All factors do effect to sonic quality.

The quality of USB cable has effect to Microdetails and tonal balance of the sound.  

Wireworld silver starlight 5.2 USB cable delivers more sonic details than Centrance's standard USB cable (that came in the package when purchase DACmini.)  But Centrance's standard USB cable delivers smoother treble than Wireworld's USB cable.

I used DACmini with standard USB cable, but I used Burson HA160D with Wireworld silver starlight USB cable.  So I can hear more microdetails from Burson HA160D but smoother treble from DACmini.[/size]

[size=10pt]I had tried using Wireworld USB cable with DACmini, the details improof but severely collapse of soundstage so I used DACmini with Centrance's standard USB cable (synergy has a role here).[/size]

[size=10pt]For Burson's standard USB cable (came with Burson HA160D's package) has more bass compare to the other two, soundstage is not as good as Wireworld's USB cable so I use it with Fiio E7+E9 (which help increase bass from HF2 to my satisfied level).

In conclusions both DACmini and Burson HA160D have excellent microdetails, one can produce more microdetails than another if use with better quality and better synergy of USB cable.[/size]

[size=10pt]Regard to music generation.[/size]
[size=10pt]I prefer Burson HA160D and PS500 or LCD2 rev.2 with [/size]Hip Hop, Rock, Metal, Jazz, new age because more bass attack, more treble emphasis, more naunce of each note (guitar, piano, drum, percussion instrument's sound).
I prefer DACmini and RS1i for female singer, wood wind instruments because more fluidity and smoother of the sound.

Very informative, thank you!

Nov 6, 2011 at 5:54 AM Post #542 of 1,412

Quote:

I'm not sure exactly what you're trying to get to, but my Denon D2000s sound great with this amp, vanilla.

in fact, I have no desire to change anything except getting the variable output mod.

The lower the output impedance a certain amplifier has, the greater the control it will exert on the headphone's drivers. Ideally you'd want the output impedance to be as low as possible. 

Nov 6, 2011 at 8:23 AM Post #543 of 1,412

Quote:
[size=10.0pt]From Headphone Addict's comment, I think both Burson HA160D and DACmini should have comparable power.

@ roker

Regards to microdetail.

I forgot to inform another factors which effect a lot to sonic quality. Receptacle at the wall (propery grounding can reduce distortion of the sound), USB cables (connect computer to DACmini or Burson), AC cable (i had already mentioned.) and cable contaction (all type of cables should avoid contact each other at all cost, for example; if wireworld silver starlight 5.2 USB has contaction to AC cable I can hear distortion at treble and irregular rhythm from Burson HA160D, unbelievable but it does occur.). All factors do effect to sonic quality.

The quality of USB cable has effect to Microdetails and tonal balance of the sound.  

Wireworld silver starlight 5.2 USB cable delivers more sonic details than Centrance's standard USB cable (that came in the package when purchase DACmini.)  But Centrance's standard USB cable delivers smoother treble than Wireworld's USB cable.

I used DACmini with standard USB cable, but I used Burson HA160D with Wireworld silver starlight USB cable.  So I can hear more microdetails from Burson HA160D but smoother treble from DACmini.[/size]

[size=10pt]I had tried using Wireworld USB cable with DACmini, the details improof but severely collapse of soundstage so I used DACmini with Centrance's standard USB cable (synergy has a role here).[/size]

[size=10pt]For Burson's standard USB cable (came with Burson HA160D's package) has more bass compare to the other two, soundstage is not as good as Wireworld's USB cable so I use it with Fiio E7+E9 (which help increase bass from HF2 to my satisfied level).

In conclusions both DACmini and Burson HA160D have excellent microdetails, one can produce more microdetails than another if use with better quality and better synergy of USB cable.[/size]

[size=10pt]Regard to music generation.[/size]
[size=10pt]I prefer Burson HA160D and PS500 or LCD2 rev.2 with [/size]Hip Hop, Rock, Metal, Jazz, new age because more bass attack, more treble emphasis, more naunce of each note (guitar, piano, drum, percussion instrument's sound).
I prefer DACmini and RS1i for female singer, wood wind instruments because more fluidity and smoother of the sound.

Chirawat

thnx, appreciate that.

Nov 10, 2011 at 12:12 AM Post #544 of 1,412
I haven't had my DacMini now for a week.  I sent it back in and decided to get the "always on" mod.  This will simplify using external speakers, as I know right now I'll get annoying by having to unplug the headphones ever time I want to listen to the speakers.

I'll have pics and full impressions (i.e. benefits of mod) in a few days.  My computer is messing up and I think it's about time I installed a new OS.  The audio side of my setup is going to finally be complete.  2 years in the making.  I finally purchased a great dac/amp/preamp, bought expensive speaker stands.   Next on my list:

-Better solid wood desk.
-New, bigger monitor, with better black levels
-MacMin, I could've purchased this by selling my macbook, but my gf is insisting we'll be needing a secondary computer.

but yeah, otherwise, this is what I wanted my system to be like 2 years ago (replace Dacmini with Benchmark)

Pictures, impressions, the whole shebang.

Nov 16, 2011 at 2:04 PM Post #545 of 1,412
My DACmini Cx has abnormal noise from both channels, it starts at 9-10 o'clock of volume dial.  Sounds like the flamming woods.  Now I am waiting for Jonathan's response for the solution.  I don't know why he doesn't answer my questions yet, i'm waiting his mail for more 24hrs now.

Anyone had this problem before?

Thanks

Chirawat

Nov 16, 2011 at 2:28 PM Post #546 of 1,412
Hi Chirawat. We are really sorry you are having trouble with your DACmini. I am doing everything in my power to get this issue resolved for you ASAP. You sent me an email 2 days ago and I followed up yesterday trying to get further clarification of the issue, to which you then responded again late last night. We have since followed up with RMA instructions and as I indicated in the email I sent yesterday we will do everything we can to make sure you are satisfied with your purchase.

Nov 16, 2011 at 3:06 PM Post #547 of 1,412
Can anyone comment on a comparison of the sound of the Dac Mini CX using the USB input vs. SPDIF input?  Is there a stark difference in the sound of 24/96 vs. 24/192?  I'd hope that the convenience of the USB input is not achieved at much of a sonic price by forgoing the higher resolution of the SPDIF connection.  Thanks.

Nov 16, 2011 at 5:32 PM Post #548 of 1,412

Quote:
Can anyone comment on a comparison of the sound of the Dac Mini CX using the USB input vs. SPDIF input?  Is there a stark difference in the sound of 24/96 vs. 24/192?  I'd hope that the convenience of the USB input is not achieved at much of a sonic price by forgoing the higher resolution of the SPDIF connection.  Thanks.

It sounds better to my ears through USB than SPIDF through my Macbook.  I've always felt that though.  I'm not sure what's the story behind it.  I thought it wasn't possible to get bad sound out of a digital out, but lo and behold, it seems to always sound better through USB on my laptop, even if it's only 24/96.

Nov 19, 2011 at 9:20 AM Post #549 of 1,412

Mod: lowering the output resistance of the DACmini.

Purpose:
DACmini default output resistance is 10 Ohms. This is relatively high, especially for low impedance IEMs. This 10 ohm output impedance is recommended by the maker of the chip (for amplification DACmini uses a popular high quality chip the TPA6120).
CEntrance offers the ‘1 Ohm’ mod for about $100. I live in Greece and have bought my DACmini second hand, so I find the $100 plus postage to US and back too much for me.
Inspired by the NWAVguy article dated June 29, 2011 of the QRV09 DIY headphone amplifier based on the same chip in which there are detailed instructions of how to reduce output impedance of the circuit (in the ‘output impedance modification’ section) I made the mod myself. I didn’t use the feritte NWAVguy used because I had readily available a similar through hole part (Murata BL02RN2R1M2B).
Accessing the 10 ohm output resistance is easy. Just unscrew the bottom (the one without the DACmini sign) cover (and only that) and you will see the two big SMD 10 Ohm resistors -see attached photo, the two 10 ohm resistors are on the left). The difficult part is to ensure that there will be no ill effects, namely oscillation.

ATTENTION
As stated by the TPA6120 datasheet the amplifier is very prone to oscillate in MHz region. Oscillations can cause sound degradation, chip overheating (and even destruction) and in some cases DC output on the headphones, resulting in coil destruction.
Always ALWAYS check the output for any trace of oscillation with a competent oscilloscope or, even better, a network analyser. You should not try to do this mod with no such tools and at least some basic knowledge of analog electronics techniques.
I recommend testing not only with your real phones but with added capacitance as the NWAVguy article states, because this added capacitance simulates various conditions that could cause a temporary oscillation (sometimes an amplifier is stable in normal temperatures and oscillates in higher ones, sometimes it is stable with a specific load and oscillates when a longer cable is been used, etc). Use various capacitances and I recommend using a good (with fast rise and fall time) square signal input (do not use the internal DAC).
CEntrance already uses some ferrites on the output section of the DACmini. Maybe this is the reason that I found, even after this mod, that the amplifier was quite stable.
Before making the mod, check the unaltered amplifier for any overshoot in various square signal inputs. The modded amplifier should not have more than that. You do not want to make any overshooting worst!

Disclaimer:
Do this at your own risk.
I have done this mod for my own enjoyment and I don’t seek any financial gain by doing this to other people's equipment.

Nov 19, 2011 at 11:53 AM Post #550 of 1,412
I just did the "always on" mod (so that the ouput remains active with the headphones plugged in).  I thought about having them lower the Ohms, but to my ears everything sounds great as is.  Don't want to mess with it.  My cans are Denons, I'm not sure if they're quite as sensitive as IEMs, but they're not hard to amplify either.

Nov 19, 2011 at 12:20 PM Post #551 of 1,412

Quote:
I just did the "always on" mod (so that the ouput remains active with the headphones plugged in).  I thought about having them lower the Ohms, but to my ears everything sounds great as is.  Don't want to mess with it.  My cans are Denons, I'm not sure if they're quite as sensitive as IEMs, but they're not hard to amplify either.

It is not about sensitivity. It is about headphone impedance. IEMs have usually lower headphone impedance. DACmini's 10 ohm output impedance has usually negligible effect for headphone impedances more than 100 ohms. 

Nov 19, 2011 at 1:39 PM Post #552 of 1,412

Quote:
It is not about sensitivity. It is about headphone impedance. IEMs have usually lower headphone impedance. DACmini's 10 ohm output impedance has usually negligible effect for headphone impedances more than 100 ohms. 

My headphones are rated at 25 Ohms last time I checked.  How much is the sound going to change?  I read that it becomes more neutral.  Does that translate to less bass?  Like I said earlier I have no immediate plans to get the mod, but if it's that benefiticial, I might consider it.

Nov 19, 2011 at 2:07 PM Post #553 of 1,412
I have a DACmini with the 1 ohm option (never heard the regular 10 ohms) and when I had my Denon D5000 I thought the Bass was to much on the DACmini. Lower impedance output mean better Bass damping and on my case the bass was very punchy and tight but to much for my liking. For your information I prefer a balanced signature so I'm far from a basshead.  

I'm using the DACmini with my MS-Pro & Magnum and it has very good synergy with them. I have hard time deciding which amplifier to use between my Tube MAD EAR+ HD (one of the best amplifier for Grado headphone) and the DACmini. It's that good (For me).

Quote:

My headphones are rated at 25 Ohms last time I checked.  How much is the sound going to change?  I read that it becomes more neutral.  Does that translate to less bass?  Like I said earlier I have no immediate plans to get the mod, but if it's that benefiticial, I might consider it.

Nov 19, 2011 at 2:23 PM Post #554 of 1,412
I'm more slanted toward a V shape sound (although it's taboo to say that here, so people just say "fun")

When get to reviewing the DACmini I'll talk about how I feel this Dac/amp prefers a more realistic/natural drum over the electronic drums of more modern recordings.  I'm not saying it sounds bad with modern stuff.  On the contrary, it's great for detail and to my ears it has nice impact.  I've noticed that less refined equipment gives you more bass but at the expense of providing you with detail and soundstage.

Which brings me back on subject.  I couldn't live with less bass than it gives right now and if lowering the Ohms does that then I'm right where I belong by not touching it.

Nov 19, 2011 at 2:32 PM Post #555 of 1,412

Lowering the output impedance will not reduce the bass. It could only get in better.

Quote:
I'm more slanted toward a V shape sound (although it's taboo to say that here, so people just say "fun")

When get to reviewing the DACmini I'll talk about how I feel this Dac/amp prefers a more realistic/natural drum over the electronic drums of more modern recordings.  I'm not saying it sounds bad with modern stuff.  On the contrary, it's great for detail and to my ears it has nice impact.  I've noticed that less refined equipment gives you more bass but at the expense of providing you with detail and soundstage.

Which brings me back on subject.  I couldn't live with less bass than it gives right now and if lowering the Ohms does that then I'm right where I belong by not touching it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back