Cayin N8 TOTL DAP: KORG Nutube, Dual AK4497, 4.4mm phone/line out
Mar 21, 2019 at 10:29 PM Post #1,636 of 3,873
You really are persistent.

First of all, let's review our previous discussion on exactly the SAME topic:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/cay...de-dual-line-out.879025/page-90#post-14663482

Back to your last question. In my first response to our request, I have stated that "if you are referring to a single-ended only high-end DAP, we probably won't attempt this market in near future."

Based on this this assumption, when you said "I wasn't really after SE but more interested in the tube implementation", the only outcome will be a Balanced DAP with balanced NuTube circuit, so when I said "You are talking about a super N8, not a mini N8", I am referring to a DAP with TWO Nutube in it. Unfortunately, you have ignored my point that Cayin will not attempt a high-end DAP in the first place.

We introduced i5 DAP back in 2016, it was a single-ended only DAP, and that was the time when balanced earphone is not as dominated as today. We have faced a lot of challenged and negative feedback, said we were unwise (some of the wording are quite rude) to not offering balanced output when our competitors are doing that, and dealers give up the product because "customers put it down when they know it doesn't support the latest balanced output". We have been there, done that, and "we can't afford the marketing cost to convince the general public on this issue. There is no point, from business point of view, to fight against the whole Personal Audio community". The last thing we can do is to continue our effort to deliver first class single-ended output in our DAP.

Not sure if I am considered as a niche user fixated solely on your nutube implementation but obviously there is a discrepancy between what I want and what you feel comfortable laying out on market.
You do not want to take a risk pushing out device relying on what perceived to be outdated output interface but I’d say have more faith on your nutube implementation.

Cayin was the first one to introduce it and I thought it was a great success…which can be capitalized even further.

The success is when your vision meets on the same tangent of public desire, whatever that may be. I understand your point and we may not need further discussion on this.

Mar 21, 2019 at 10:51 PM Post #1,637 of 3,873
Not sure if I am considered as a niche user fixated solely on your nutube implementation but obviously there is a discrepancy between what I want and what you feel comfortable laying out on market.
You do not want to take a risk pushing out device relying on what perceived to be outdated output interface but I’d say have more faith on your nutube implementation.

Cayin was the first one to introduce it and I thought it was a great success…which can be capitalized even further.

The success is when your vision meets on the same tangent of public desire, whatever that may be. I understand your point and we may not need further discussion on this.
Ok, well then, how about a mini N8 with 3.5 and 4.4 with only a solid state amp ?

Mar 22, 2019 at 12:00 AM Post #1,638 of 3,873
Mar 22, 2019 at 12:03 AM Post #1,639 of 3,873
Mar 22, 2019 at 12:33 AM Post #1,640 of 3,873
Thank you so much for your detail impression. This is the most comprehensive comparison between N8 and WM1Z I have come across, I like your descriptive but not conclusive approach because you leave enough room for the reader to make up their mind.

Unless otherwise stated, Cayin firmware has very little (or zero) effect to sound signature. This has been our practise since our first DAP.

I have posted a battery charging test just before this reply. We have installed a 7000mAH battery into N8, it will take ages to completed charged from standard 5V1A chargers. You'll get better result with QC compatible charger.
Cheers. You’ve got a great product there. I suspect other makers are going to try to follow suit, so you’ll have to keep innovating :D.

About the battery, not certain if I have a QC compatible charger but will find (actually I do have the OmniCharge Pro which has a QC3.0 port). However in my example, it was straight USB-C/Thunderbolt3 -> USB-C. I have to say I don’t know what voltage and amperage it’s using in that case.

Meanwhile, I want a a micro N8 the size of a Pentaconn 4.4mm socket with a HUD display to my sunglasses - music and volume selection through thought control please.

Mar 22, 2019 at 5:21 AM Post #1,641 of 3,873
I just joined the N8 family and I really love the sound. But the SW stability seems to be a problem. Two issues I have seen:

- LDAC connection does not work. I gets connected but both the Qobuz and YouTube applications are getting stuck when I start playing, on my Note9. I had the exact settings with my Note9 with WM1Z never had any issues playing LDAC. SBC works fine but that definitely is not what I am after.

- Once when I was trying different codecs etc, and I disconnected my phone and pressed the back arrow on N8, it says " the playing of the song will be stopped", I press OK and nothing happens. When I repeat it, again the same thing. Somehow although there is no connection, the SW is stuck at the "playing" state.

Anyone experienced these? Especially the first one? I am on FW 2.2.

Mar 22, 2019 at 7:48 AM Post #1,643 of 3,873
I just joined the N8 family and I really love the sound. But the SW stability seems to be a problem. Two issues I have seen:

- LDAC connection does not work. I gets connected but both the Qobuz and YouTube applications are getting stuck when I start playing, on my Note9. I had the exact settings with my Note9 with WM1Z never had any issues playing LDAC. SBC works fine but that definitely is not what I am after.

- Once when I was trying different codecs etc, and I disconnected my phone and pressed the back arrow on N8, it says " the playing of the song will be stopped", I press OK and nothing happens. When I repeat it, again the same thing. Somehow although there is no connection, the SW is stuck at the "playing" state.

I just tried my wife's LGv30 and LDAC works perfectly fine. Hmmm... As I am using the same settings as WM1Z I expected that it should also work fine also. Very strange.

Mar 22, 2019 at 10:17 AM Post #1,644 of 3,873
About this QC compatible charger

Is that a requirement, or even a safety concern, in that we should use one?

Can i not just plug the N8 into the wall outlet with a supplied cable?

i have never bought any separate charging accessories for any of my electronics

i assume the N8 is QC compatible but does not come with a QC cable/etc?

Would any/all of these devices be acceptable?

https://www.amazon.ca/s?k=qc+adapte...063526&tag=googcana-20&ref=pd_sl_197l8b923v_b

Are there any cautions to be alert to when purchasing a QC device for the N8 (volts/amps or other power concerns?)

Cheers

Mar 22, 2019 at 10:26 AM Post #1,645 of 3,873
About this QC compatible charger

Is that a requirement, or even a safety concern, in that we should use one?

Can i not just plug the N8 into the wall outlet with a supplied cable?

i have never bought any separate charging accessories for any of my electronics

i assume the N8 is QC compatible but does not come with a QC cable/etc?

Would any/all of these devices be acceptable?

https://www.amazon.ca/s?k=qc+adapte...063526&tag=googcana-20&ref=pd_sl_197l8b923v_b

Are there any cautions to be alert to when purchasing a QC device for the N8 (volts/amps or other power concerns?)

Cheers

My only suggestion is to chose a charger from a well known brand (Anker or Aukey), there are so many different models and brands and it's not easy to find out which components are used in the charger and their reliability.

Mar 22, 2019 at 10:29 AM Post #1,646 of 3,873

Sorry, don't have N8 to try it (only had a loaner for review with earlier 2.0 fw), but I do have Galaxy S9 and wondering if you go in Developers options under Settings and maybe change under Bluetooth Audio LDAC Codec playback quality to best effort (adaptive bit rate). Can you try that to see if it fixes anything?

Mar 22, 2019 at 10:35 AM Post #1,647 of 3,873
Sorry, don't have N8 to try it (only had a loaner for review with earlier 2.0 fw), but I do have Galaxy S9 and wondering if you go in Developers options under Settings and maybe change under Bluetooth Audio LDAC Codec playback quality to best effort (adaptive bit rate). Can you try that to see if it fixes anything?

I have been tweaking it all the way but no success yet. I also set everything in developer options the same as my wife's LGv30 and it still does not work. But as I said, it was just working fine with WM1Z. That is pretty strange. I was thinking of switching to something like LineageOS. Maybe it is the time...

Mar 22, 2019 at 10:54 AM Post #1,648 of 3,873
I have been tweaking it all the way but no success yet. I also set everything in developer options the same as my wife's LGv30 and it still does not work. But as I said, it was just working fine with WM1Z. That is pretty strange. I was thinking of switching to something like LineageOS. Maybe it is the time...

and I assume you have the latest Android 9.0 Pie update on your Note 9?

Mar 22, 2019 at 10:58 AM Post #1,649 of 3,873
and I assume you have the latest Android 9.0 Pie update on your Note 9?

Yes, I received an update even today. In the developer options there is HCI snooping. I don't know much about the protocol but if I cannot get any result, I will try to compare the logs with my wife's v30 (if I can get the logs) on the weekend.

Mar 23, 2019 at 11:27 AM Post #1,650 of 3,873
Yes, something we have been working on in pass 6 months. This is the first "brass" DAP from Cayin, we spend a lot of time to study various option and go for the Telfon route. The technology itself is not new, it is commonly used in many industry such as the cockeries (yes, the kind of coating we used in nonstick pan :wink:), but the uneven and unsymmetric design of N8 created a lot of difficulties when we want to achieve the kind of texture and detail we have in mind.

Anyway, this also explained why I have been disappeared from forum for quite a while, we have 3 major shows piles up, and one new product in every show: iDAC-6MK2 in CanJam New York, and N8 Brass Black in CanJam Singapore, the Munich High-end should be very exciting.
Andy, I was just wondering, can you give us a hint as to what Cayin will be announcing for the Munich Show? Will it be desktop or portable? High end or low? Tks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back