Cayin N8 TOTL DAP: KORG Nutube, Dual AK4497, 4.4mm phone/line out
Dec 17, 2018 at 2:41 AM Post #1,336 of 3,873
Thanks for the offer, and all is ok. I like my unique N8 and its working well. I do have a question, I have no updated the FW , should I up date it ? Why ?

I assume your N8 comes with v1.1 firmware. I'll suggest you update the firmware to v2.0. Even if you won't use the LDAC Bluetooth for Hi-Res wireless DAC, the following two items are particularly important IMHO.
  • Optimize the volume control interface, the volume can now only be adjusted through sliding action only.
  • Bug Fix: the maximum volume setting is invalid when adjusting volume through touch screen of volume control interface

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Dec 17, 2018 at 2:43 AM Post #1,337 of 3,873
My wish for HibyLink is that it would work on my windows tablet

Its a 13 or so inch screen , my Samsung Android is not much better than the size of the N8

Even with my specs my old eyes have a hard time reading on my cell

Any chance HibyLink may do a windows version ?

If you prefer manipulating yoru N8 through a bigger screen, maybe you can use a 10" iPad for your HiByLink operation. HiByLink is part of the HiBy Music app which is available on both Android and iOS platform. Sorry, windows-based device is not an option at this moment.

Dec 17, 2018 at 2:47 AM Post #1,338 of 3,873
Sweet God!

Spent the morning listening to ZMF Atticus from the tube-out on the N8. Mad impressive! The clarity, separation, and depth is awesome. I would go so far as to say, I've never heard Atticus sound so good.

Did you tell Zach about this? :o2smile:

Hey, don't let this stop, keep the ball rolling, so what IEM/headphone have you tried during the weekend?

Dec 17, 2018 at 10:13 AM Post #1,339 of 3,873
No doubt N8 is the best sounding dap ever but it is too bulky for me. If Cayin can remove every but nutube mechanism to reduce the size and weight to half, I am willing to pay the same if not more. But then I am sure that will never happen, sigh.

Custom design dap service is what we need for a change. :)

For discussion sake, let's created a Lite version by removing the Single-End Solid State amplification, Balanced 4.4mm phone out, Balanced Line out and I2S digital out. :ksc75smile::ksc75smile::ksc75smile:

The functional diagram will looks like this:

N8 Function Framework (SE Nutube only).jpg

Will it reduce the size significantly? I don't think so , because the screen, the 7000mAh battery and the Nutube are still there and these are the components that more or less determined the size of the DAP. Maybe we can cut down the size by ........ 5%? :sob:

Will the DAP become lighter? again unlikely because the components in gray didn't contribute a lot to the overall weight. :anguished:

The price is unlikely to come down, if not going up. Yes, we have trim down several items in the BOM, but then wa have also removed some features that are consider important or attractive to the market - a single-end only flagship DAP that didn't support balanced headphone., We also lost some of the unique features such as balanced line out and I2S digital out. As a result of that, we need to increase our advertising and marketing effort to convince the potential customers in order to maintain the same sales volume. These expenditure will cost a lot more then the cost of components we removed from the BOM. :deadhorse::deadhorse:

Last edited:

Dec 17, 2018 at 2:36 PM Post #1,342 of 3,873
If you prefer manipulating yoru N8 through a bigger screen, maybe you can use a 10" iPad for your HiByLink operation. HiByLink is part of the HiBy Music app which is available on both Android and iOS platform. Sorry, windows-based device is not an option at this moment.
Thank you Andy

I will be considering an Apple or Android tablet option for this purpose only , as i have no other use for those devices

Can you or some kind folk please recommend the minimum (while still giving the full HiByLink experience) Apple (Ipad rendition) and Android rendition i would need for this?

Cheers

Dec 17, 2018 at 2:42 PM Post #1,343 of 3,873
I'm reading through the thread, as I may buy one. Just so I am clear, when using the tube option, you CANT use the 4.4mm jack?

Also has anyone tried this DAP, using the Campfire iems? I want a quite, no hiss, source

You have single NuTube module for a single ended output only. You can't use it with balanced 4.4mm output, but SE NuTube output has soundstage expansion as wide as some other balanced flagships and you get up to 400mW of output power.

Since I had N8 on loan for a short period, I only had a chance to test with Andromeda (not Solaris). Andro is a sensitive iem, hisses with many sources, and it's quite noticeable with N8. With other iems, like low impedance higher sensitive U18t, there were hardly any hissing.

Dec 17, 2018 at 3:33 PM Post #1,344 of 3,873
You have single NuTube module for a single ended output only. You can't use it with balanced 4.4mm output, but SE NuTube output has soundstage expansion as wide as some other balanced flagships and you get up to 400mW of output power.

Since I had N8 on loan for a short period, I only had a chance to test with Andromeda (not Solaris). Andro is a sensitive iem, hisses with many sources, and it's quite noticeable with N8. With other iems, like low impedance higher sensitive U18t, there were hardly any hissing.

Thanks for the info

Dec 17, 2018 at 8:30 PM Post #1,345 of 3,873
Normally I wouldn’t consider asking this in a DAP thread, however recently seeing how the DX200 with its AMP8 has come to a stage where it can drive the Susvara (Sens: 83dB) to a reasonably satisfactorily level, I’m wondering if the Cayin N8 would have that capability too out of its 4.4mm balanced. Any Cayin N8 owners who also have a Susvara who could try?

Dec 17, 2018 at 10:34 PM Post #1,346 of 3,873
I'm reading through the thread, as I may buy one. Just so I am clear, when using the tube option, you CANT use the 4.4mm jack?

Also has anyone tried this DAP, using the Campfire iems? I want a quite, no hiss, source
No hiss using : Vega, Andro, Soaris, Atlas.

Dec 18, 2018 at 12:26 AM Post #1,347 of 3,873
And Custom Art FIBAE3 (8 Ohm impedance).

Dec 18, 2018 at 9:24 AM Post #1,348 of 3,873
Thank you Andy

I will be considering an Apple or Android tablet option for this purpose only , as i have no other use for those devices

Can you or some kind folk please recommend the minimum (while still giving the full HiByLink experience) Apple (Ipad rendition) and Android rendition i would need for this?

Cheers

Try iPad before you consider any Android tablet, I have tried several Android tablet but they don't work as well in my experience. You only need the entry model with 32GB (9.7" Retina if you are going to use it for HiByLink only. The iPad Pro can go as large as 12.9" but they are well equipped and relatively expensive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back