Cayin iDAP-6 - versatile new desktop transport
Dec 12, 2017 at 11:18 AM Post #136 of 424
no luck on ios even updated to firmware 1.2. After scan the library, Hibylink will show very long list of individual audio title. Goto Album or Artists message pop up on fetching data (the chinese characters) and Hibylink just stuck there fetching..... I then use the IDAP-6 itself to play songs from library and the now playing song on Hibylink will changed to the song i choose from IDAP-6 itself, but still cannot control from Hibylink as it is still fetching... After almost 30 minutes Hibylink still fetching data so i decided to forced close the app and relaunch the app, go to folder there will see C: drive but going inside see no folders. Goto albums artist the annoying message pop up and did nothing.
Closed the app on ios, launch the app from my android phone, and my phone connected to Cayin almost instantly. Goto folder, see C: drive there, go in there can see all the folders inside my external HDD. Go to Album or artists, no annoying fetching message, everything is there. Closed the android app, go to ios app, connected to IDAP-6, errors repeat.
Last night the external HDD is about 8k plus songs, today i used smaller HDD but contain 5k plus songs... but since android based Hibylink no problem in seeing them, it should be the problem with IOS version.

Can you tell me the model/detail/OS version of iOS device that you are using? I know you are using an iPHone 6, I need the detail to file a instance report on iOS HiByLink

Last edited:
Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Dec 12, 2017 at 12:54 PM Post #137 of 424
Can you tell me the model/detail/OS version of iOS device that you are using? I know you are using an iPHone 6, I need the detail to file a instance report on iOS HiByLink

I bought iDAP-6 because I believed in a well-growing company. I already had the opportunity to test several Cayin products. Mainly they were amplifiers.
Observing what is happening with iDAP-6, I would like to ask the question if the people responsible for the development of iDAP-6 is the same team?
So far, I see a nice joke here !!! Maybe it is worth thinking about transferring this device to real engineers?

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2017 at 2:28 PM Post #138 of 424
I bought iDAP-6 because I believed in a well-growing company. I already had the opportunity to test several Cayin products. Mainly they were amplifiers.
Observing what is happening with iDAP-6, I would like to ask the question if the people responsible for the development of iDAP-6 is the same team?
So far, I see a nice joke here !!! Maybe it is worth thinking about transferring this device to real engineers?

Wow, do you communicate with people as part of your job? Hopefully not.... perhaps it's just the language barrier, but the tone you display here is incredibly rude - especially considering the Cayin representative actively seeking to help in this very thread. That's certainly not always the case for all manufacturers.

Look, a headphone amp or speaker amp doesn't require anything like the complexity of the iDAP-6. No networking, no user interface, etc. It just amplifies the signal it receives, and controls volume. Done. To make the comparison is absurd on your part.

Yes, there are some things being worked out with the iDAP-6. The more we point out issues, the faster Cayin can squash these bugs. It happens with giants like Apple and Google, and it happens in our little corner of the audio world too. I fail to see any benefit in being snarky about it.

Dec 12, 2017 at 3:00 PM Post #139 of 424
Wow, do you communicate with people as part of your job? Hopefully not.... perhaps it's just the language barrier, but the tone you display here is incredibly rude - especially considering the Cayin representative actively seeking to help in this very thread. That's certainly not always the case for all manufacturers.

Look, a headphone amp or speaker amp doesn't require anything like the complexity of the iDAP-6. No networking, no user interface, etc. It just amplifies the signal it receives, and controls volume. Done. To make the comparison is absurd on your part.

Yes, there are some things being worked out with the iDAP-6. The more we point out issues, the faster Cayin can squash these bugs. It happens with giants like Apple and Google, and it happens in our little corner of the audio world too. I fail to see any benefit in being snarky about it.

Do you want to know the honest truth about what I think about it? Instead of focusing on repairing reported errors comes a new firmware (1.2) that is expected to increase sales? The new firmware will not satisfy the current owners of iDAP-6 and only plunges people responsible for the development of iDAP-6.
Please do not take this as a personal attack. My opinion refers only to the imperfect device which is iDAP-6 and to people connected with this project. If you are one of them, I am truly sorry.

Dec 12, 2017 at 3:11 PM Post #140 of 424
Do you want to know the honest truth about what I think about it? Instead of focusing on repairing reported errors comes a new firmware (1.2) that is expected to increase sales? The new firmware will not satisfy the current owners of iDAP-6 and only plunges people responsible for the development of iDAP-6.
Please do not take this as a personal attack. My opinion refers only to the imperfect device which is iDAP-6 and to people connected with this project. If you are one of them, I am truly sorry.

Sorry, still not quite sure what you're trying to say. But having the remote control app only available for one segment of users (Android) and not the other huge segment (iOS) seems like a pretty obvious thing to work on right?

Trust me - Aurender went for YEARS with iOS support only, while Android was always "coming soon". It eventually showed up, in far more simplified form than the "real" app, and people were still happy to get something rather than nothing.

Personally, I have zero issues with the iDAP-6 - when used as a local playback device. I really think that is the core functionality of the thing. But yes, other features were advertised and need to be brought up to fully-functioning status. And that's what is being worked on right now, no?

My only connection with the project is as reviewer and user - same as my connection with hundreds of other devices over the years. I'm just saying your approach is about the least constructive it could possibly be.

Dec 12, 2017 at 3:52 PM Post #141 of 424
Sorry, still not quite sure what you're trying to say. But having the remote control app only available for one segment of users (Android) and not the other huge segment (iOS) seems like a pretty obvious thing to work on right?

Trust me - Aurender went for YEARS with iOS support only, while Android was always "coming soon". It eventually showed up, in far more simplified form than the "real" app, and people were still happy to get something rather than nothing.

Personally, I have zero issues with the iDAP-6 - when used as a local playback device. I really think that is the core functionality of the thing. But yes, other features were advertised and need to be brought up to fully-functioning status. And that's what is being worked on right now, no?

My only connection with the project is as reviewer and user - same as my connection with hundreds of other devices over the years. I'm just saying your approach is about the least constructive it could possibly be.

If I did not buy this device, I would get it home for testing, we could constructively discuss it. Meanwhile, it is as it is. As the owner of iDAP-6, I will continue to closely monitor the development of iDAP-6. I will be happy to participate in its further development. But give us something we are waiting for. Fix something that we reported. I wish you success with all my heart. Try a little more.

Dec 12, 2017 at 5:25 PM Post #142 of 424
Sorry, i am not using Iphone 6, but using older Ipad which still runnig good.
The model is Ipad 4 A1460, model MD527ZP/A running on ios 10.3.3

By the way, this firmware 1.2 did partially fix one of the problem I faced before, i.e. to give interruption to the DST iso. Why I said partially fix? Previously I need to wait for IDAP-6 to 'failed play' on all tracks inside the DST iso, now each single press on 'Back' button will in fact 'advance' to next DST track. for example, from each DST to DST tracks took about 2 seconds, now keep pressing the 'Back' button will fast skip to next track within a second... Good improvement but just don't know the 'Back' switch can survive how many presses, better let it automatically 'failed play' the whole iso tracks and wait for future firmware.

Dec 12, 2017 at 5:34 PM Post #143 of 424

Agreed with you on Aurender, even Auralic also issued ios remote app only, marketing strategy i would said. For Cayin/Hiby to work on android app most probably is Google is more lenience on app approval, and easier to compile(?) or more android user in China...
Either ios/android app won't provice access to NAS file at the moment, so using a local HDD is better not only on accessing the whole music library, but also reduce potential signal lost over the netwrok.

Dec 13, 2017 at 5:04 AM Post #144 of 424
Agreed with you on Aurender, even Auralic also issued ios remote app only, marketing strategy i would said. For Cayin/Hiby to work on android app most probably is Google is more lenience on app approval, and easier to compile(?) or more android user in China...
Either ios/android app won't provice access to NAS file at the moment, so using a local HDD is better not only on accessing the whole music library, but also reduce potential signal lost over the netwrok.

For me, it does not matter if it works with iOS or Android. It is important that it works without errors and performs functionally.

Dec 17, 2017 at 11:39 AM Post #145 of 424
Headfonics has published a very detail review on Cayin iDAP-6. This is the first public review of our desktop digital transport and network player and Marcus has explained the function, strength and limitation of iDAP-6 in great detail:

https://headfonics.com/2017/12/cayin-idap-6-review/

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Dec 17, 2017 at 1:18 PM Post #146 of 424
This is exactly what I am looking for! A desktop transport to feed my Schiit Gungnir DAC/Mjolnir 2 Amp and LCD-4 cans! Plus the added flexibility to support playback from network and local sources. If I can find a place to purchase it (looking at MusicTeck right now), I may have to have a Christmas present for myself!

Thanks Cayin!

Cheers and all the Best!:beerchug:
-HK sends

Dec 17, 2017 at 2:43 PM Post #147 of 424
I can't confirm what we read in this article Headfonics, I try use this unit 5 days and it not woks as manufacturer make advertisment.
Around 70% of this review we can read how good materials are used or how good it is with another 'desktop' units from Cain .... problem with WIFi s no problem because most users have 'standard wireless network' ?! But I have 'standard wired network' and had problems too.
Bubble UPnP works as good as we read here on form (no gapless), last week I spoke with German office and they told me - no units in Germany till January when firmware will be better and all will works (maybe later ...).

I don't want be beta tester if I pay full amount of price, which want European distributor.

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2017 at 4:40 PM Post #148 of 424
Geez, you guys must have never owned or tried FiiO. The hardware is excellent and if you are patient enough, the firmware catches up and can even exceed advertised capabilities. If this was Cayin's third or fourth desktop transport, I'd say you may have valid complaints that everything isn't working out of the gate. But this is Cayin's first transport, and it sure ain't the same as cranking out a portable DAP. They are working hard to address the issues and will get better in time. Then their future products can take advantage of the lessons learned and offer even more functionality.

It wasn't that long ago that the desktop transport that I bought couldn't even do gapless for local files and when I tried to contact the engineers, they couldn't understand the concept of "gapless". My, how the times have changed. Oh yeah, before anyone gets their hackles up over compatibility, remember how long it took the PC world to adopt standards for all components to work without conflict? A**le only bypassed the problem by forcing a single proprietary architecture.

But I digress...

I look forward to seeing the iDAP-6 develop!

Cheers!:beerchug:
-HK sends

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2017 at 7:10 PM Post #149 of 424
@HK_sends : you have right, but after this time we will have on market better hardware and iDAP-6 prices will go down.
This is first Cayan desktop transport and I think this is not in-house development but ODM product and this is main reason why they can't quick add for example few lines of code to firmware with network settings ;(
I have big lessons with Chinese AMOI and our OEM DVD player with DLNA function from them.

Dec 17, 2017 at 7:37 PM Post #150 of 424
They have to start somewhere...:wink:
I hope the prices do go down! And the number of choices (companies producing and model types) goes up.
When portable DAP availability and competition exploded, it drove the prices down and the features and quality up.
It's about time the desktop transports did the same...
Competition breeds improvement and will benefit us all!:grin:

Cheers and All the Best!:beerchug:
-HK sends

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back