Cavalli Audio Liquid Fire
Apr 26, 2012 at 8:16 PM Post #1,306 of 2,306
Well, I just bought Nick's (mwilson's) Liquid Fire.
biggrin.gif

Happy to be joining the club and thanks for the discussion on tube rolling. I plan to right after the amp shows up next week. But I'll need to jetison some of my WA22 tubes as well (and amp in case anyone is interested).

Quick question, how low is the noise floor for low impedance / efficient dynamic headphones like the W3000ANV with this amp?

Thanks!

Awesome. Eager to hear what you think. He's mailing me those Tungsram Reds tomorrow. :D

Do you know if his has the high and low jack? The late prototype I heard last year had no noise with the D7000.

Never got to try it on my personal LF.

Apr 26, 2012 at 8:24 PM Post #1,307 of 2,306

Quote:
Awesome. Eager to hear what you think. He's mailing me those Tungsram Reds tomorrow.
biggrin.gif

Do you know if his has the high and low jack? The late prototype I heard last year had no noise with the D7000.

Glad to hear that it had no noise floor with your D7000s. Interesting...if it works as such with my W3000ANVs, then my GS-1 might be up for sale too.

Apr 26, 2012 at 8:32 PM Post #1,308 of 2,306

Quote:
Awesome. Eager to hear what you think. He's mailing me those Tungsram Reds tomorrow.
biggrin.gif

Glad to hear that it had no noise floor with your D7000s. Interesting...if it works as such with my W3000ANVs, then my GS-1 might be up for sale too.

There was no noise but it wasn't the best pairing. Not bad of course but a good full SS design does wonders for the D7000. As you're probably well aware.

So don't get too excited yet. You'll be spending too much time with the LF and LCD 3 to care anyway. :D

Apr 26, 2012 at 8:46 PM Post #1,309 of 2,306
It will be really interesting to read your impressions!  I haven't heard much from you since I sold my WA22 and left the Woo Clan!
Quote:
biggrin.gif

Happy to be joining the club and thanks for the discussion on tube rolling. I plan to right after the amp shows up next week. But I'll need to jetison some of my WA22 tubes as well (and amp in case anyone is interested).

Quick question, how low is the noise floor for low impedance / efficient dynamic headphones like the W3000ANV with this amp?

Thanks!

Apr 26, 2012 at 9:06 PM Post #1,310 of 2,306

Quote:
biggrin.gif

Thanks!

Welcome to the fold! You are going to love it with your HD800s and LCD3s. 
I've only ever used it with the LCD2s and 800s so I can't speak to other phones, but the noise floor seems a bottomless pit (IE floor is so low, it's not detectable).

I'll be interested in what tubes you go with as I am starting to get that itch. 
smile.gif

Apr 26, 2012 at 9:09 PM Post #1,311 of 2,306
Interesting path. You, Peter and I all started more or less the same: W4S DAC-2 > WA22, then the WA22 left to make way for the LF. Now all you have left to do is get rid of the DAC-2 and get a Cantata!

Quote:
It will be really interesting to read your impressions!  I haven't heard much from you since I sold my WA22 and left the Woo Clan!

Apr 26, 2012 at 9:52 PM Post #1,312 of 2,306

Quote:
There was no noise but it wasn't the best pairing. Not bad of course but a good full SS design does wonders for the D7000. As you're probably well aware.
So don't get too excited yet. You'll be spending too much time with the LF and LCD 3 to care anyway.
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Sadly, looks like I'll be leaving the Woo clan too. Will definitely post back when it arrives.

Quote:

Welcome to the fold! You are going to love it with your HD800s and LCD3s. 
I've only ever used it with the LCD2s and 800s so I can't speak to other phones, but the noise floor seems a bottomless pit (IE floor is so low, it's not detectable).

I'll be interested in what tubes you go with as I am starting to get that itch. 
smile.gif

Thanks! Gonna start off with the JJs and likely upgrade very soon.

Quote:
Interesting path. You, Peter and I all started more or less the same: W4S DAC-2 > WA22, then the WA22 left to make way for the LF. Now all you have left to do is get rid of the DAC-2 and get a Cantata!

Can't wait to get this amp. Honestly fellas, dealing with Nick is a pleasure. This is our second transaction and both have been stellar.

Apr 26, 2012 at 9:58 PM Post #1,313 of 2,306
Funny how it all revolves. As it is, I'll be rejoining the Woo clan on a temporary basis with their WEE until sometime later this year (hopefully) when my BHSE will be delivered. And thanks for your kind words.

Quote:
Sadly, looks like I'll be leaving the Woo clan too. Will definitely post back when it arrives.

Apr 27, 2012 at 1:56 AM Post #1,314 of 2,306

Quote:
biggrin.gif

Thanks!

Nice buy from a nice guy. Enjoy your LF.

Apr 27, 2012 at 10:32 AM Post #1,316 of 2,306
i just sold my LF to another head-fier.

wasn't that i didn't love the amp.
it just came down to function more than anything.
and the lack of switchable inputs, and lack of preamp output finally became an obstacle when i installed my vinyl rig...

so, the LF was shipped out today to another home.

it is a fine amp, and i will miss it in many ways...

beerchug.gif

see you guys on the other side....

Apr 27, 2012 at 10:40 AM Post #1,317 of 2,306
Nothing to get in the way. :D

It's a shame so many 'high profile' members are selling theirs. Hope people don't think less of the amp because of it.

I still wish it had a pre out, but maybe if I ask enough Alex will make one!

Apr 27, 2012 at 10:48 AM Post #1,318 of 2,306

Quote:
Nothing to get in the way.
biggrin.gif

It's a shame so many 'high profile' members are selling theirs. Hope people don't think less of the amp because of it.

Headfiers are the revolving door of gear ownership. People buying and selling their amps after a short stint is normal.
For some people buying and flipping is the only way to try stuff. Buy for the price you can, sell within a reasonable margin of that, look at it as a rental :).
It doesn't make any more or less of the gear, just that people change tastes, needs, or have whims.

Apr 27, 2012 at 10:55 AM Post #1,320 of 2,306

Quote:
Nothing to get in the way.
biggrin.gif

Headfiers are the revolving door of gear ownership. People buying and selling their amps after a short stint is normal.
For some people buying and flipping is the only way to try stuff. Buy for the price you can, sell withing a reasonable margin of that, look at it as a rental :).
It doesn't make any more or less of the gear, just that people change tastes, needs, or have whims.

Of course that's true but the fact 3 (4?) hit the market at the same time can look bad. I of course know this isn't the case but it's happened before.

Can't be too worried though. People tend to be more well informed before a purchase like this.

Also, I'm horrible with that gear door.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back